What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 90s literary novel like The Secret History but NOT The Secret History - group of college kids (maybe?) and a mysterious death

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RF (new)

RF (catachretical) | 1 comments What do I remember? Think I read it in the mid 90s. It was one of those much talked-about books. I *think* it involves a group of college students (typical NE liberal arts college etc) - they become interested in/obsessed with an ancient cult around Cybele/Diana. A demilune pendant and knife is a recurring symbol in the book, and is involved in the (SPOILER) apparent death of one of the characters. Later in the book it turns out the character castrated himself with the knife (in keeping with the old cult) and the 'death' was faked. I just read The Secret History thinking it was this, but no ...

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
RF ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 44 where fewer eyes will see it.
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!

message 3: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

Maybe this list about castration will have the book you're looking for. Good luck!