Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4)
This topic is about Queen of Shadows
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Queen of Shadows [Jul 15, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4605 comments Mod
July 15th.

Elinor | 1548 comments I'm starting a little ahead since, you know, I take so much time to read books, so that I should be done before we read the next one ^^
So I've read book 3 in 2016 and I don't remember a all lot from it. I certainly don't remember that (view spoiler). I wasn't a fan of him in the last book, especially since (view spoiler)

Katie K | 1974 comments You and your love triangles Elinor XD Rowan was growing on me though, he's very much a tsundere type, no? lol Anyways, can't wait to start this one with you all! :D

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments I haven't started yet, I'll probably start this tonight!

message 5: by Charlie (last edited Jul 18, 2019 04:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments I've started! 7 chapters in (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Up to chapter 13 (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments How come I didn't get notifications for answers??! I think I did something wrong when I touched my settings...
XD I don't always love love triangle to be fair, but I love being invested in the relationship stuff and that was the case with this series but not in the last book 😔 And my type is not really tsundere I think, it's more anti-hero all the way 😈
I didn't read a lot of it so far, a few chapters only

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "How come I didn't get notifications for answers??! I think I did something wrong when I touched my settings...
XD I don't always love love triangle to be fair, but I love being invested in the rela..."

Sometimes I LOVE a good love triangle and sometimes I hate them, I'm picky. I love all of the complicated relationships in this series though, so much drama, it's amazing.

Elinor | 1548 comments Charlie wrote: "Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "How come I didn't get notifications for answers??! I think I did something wrong when I touched my settings...
XD I don't always love love triangle to be fair, but I l..."

200% agree but for the first two books, I wasn't as invested in the third one I'm afraid, perhaps because it had been a long time since book 2? I don't know. I was not a fan of the new ships to be honest. But I'm eager to see where things are going to go now :)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "How come I didn't get notifications for answers??! I think I did something wrong when I touched my settings...
XD I don't always love love triangle to ..."

I love Rowan and Dorian but I'm not a fan of Chaol at all so I'm hoping something unfortunate happens to keep him out of the running!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Up to chapter 20 (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments Chapter 7 (view spoiler)
Could someone remind me what happened between Manon and Aelin? Aelin mentioned a sacrifice from Manon but I don't remember them even meeting?
Love interest : as I said earlier, I don't care for Rowan, but I loved Dorian and Chaol a lot (small preference for Dorian though I think to be honest)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "Chapter 7 [spoilers removed]
Could someone remind me what happened between Manon and Aelin? Aelin mentioned a sacrifice from Manon but I don't remember them even meeting?
Love interest : as I said..."

They haven't met, I don't think they've even heard of each other. You reading the right book? 😂

Elinor | 1548 comments So it was not Manon but Marion. Thing is, I don't remember a single Marion 🤔 😂

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Oh, Marion was Aelin's aunt, she sacrificed her life the night of the attack so Aelin could escape. I don't remember her saying that in this book though and I only read chapters 1-7 last night!

Elinor | 1548 comments OK thanks! I have exactly 0 memory of this 😅
It was on page 59 of the UK paperback, so in those 7 first chapters ^^

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Found it in page 59! Dunno how I missed that! I have a great memory for some things and a terrible one for others!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Up to chapter 33 and I am freaking loving this book! (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments I'm glad you're enjoying it !

Bryce (brycereads) | 30 comments still need to start reading. have been reading another book and have yet to start will probably start on this book today or tomorrow. glad you guys are enjoying it though

Saar The Book owl | 1957 comments Gonna jump in somewhere next week. Finished 2 books the last days.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Up to chapter 48 (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments Charlie wrote: "Up to chapter 13 "

Completly agree with you (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Up to chapter 13 "

Completly agree with you [spoilers removed]"

I'm hoping for that too! (view spoiler)

message 25: by Bryce (last edited Jul 21, 2019 09:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bryce (brycereads) | 30 comments up to chapter 8, this book seems really slow at the moment. the chapter from dorians perspective was fun (view spoiler) also what role is chaol supposed to play in this book/ rest of series he has only appeared briefly where i am at and his decisions make no sense. (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Bryce wrote: "up to chapter 8, this book seems really slow at the moment. the chapter from dorians perspective was fun [spoilers removed] also what role is chaol supposed to play in this book/ rest of series he ..."

Exciting things happen Bryce, stick with it! RE Chaol: (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments Charlie wrote: "Up to chapter 20 "
Again, same here ^^ (view spoiler)

About Chaol, I agree with you guys, I liked him more in the first two books.I'm up to 35%, in the 22-23-24 chapters I think, and him and Aelin (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments @Elinor Exactly! (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments Yes (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: " / c..."

The whole reason I stopped after book 5 and didn't ever read Tower of Dawn was because (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments I've heard from different people who couldn't bear him at all loved ToD, so I hope it will be the same for you / us ^^

Around chapter 26 I think : (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "I've heard from different people who couldn't bear him at all loved ToD, so I hope it will be the same for you / us ^^

Around chapter 26 I think : [spoilers removed]"

I actually have a friend who told me the same thing but I'm still sceptical!

re chapter 26: (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments Charlie wrote: "Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "I've heard from different people who couldn't bear him at all loved ToD, so I hope it will be the same for you / us ^^

Around chapter 26 I think : [spoilers removed]"..."

(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments I think (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments Chapter 29 : (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments @Elinor I think he's talking about (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments chapter 33 : (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "chapter 33 : [spoilers removed]"

This is why I hate him! (view spoiler)

message 39: by Bryce (last edited Jul 26, 2019 01:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bryce (brycereads) | 30 comments Charlie wrote: "Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "chapter 33 : [spoilers removed]"

This is why I hate him! [spoilers removed]"

seriously what is chaol's purpose in this whole series. he was somewhat useful and relevant in book 1 but as the books go on he seems to get even more useless. just read (view spoiler) also even though book six is fairly important plotwise (view spoiler) sorry if this seems a bit like a rant, the character has gotten on my nerves a fair bit this book especially in the last few chapters. enjoying the book a fair bit though despite its slow pace at the moment

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Bryce wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "chapter 33 : [spoilers removed]"

This is why I hate him! [spoilers removed]"

seriously what is chaol's purpose in this whole series. he was somewhat ..."

I completely agree with you Bryce. I'd be fine if something unfortunate happened to him...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Up to page 523/ 81% (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments I'm finished!!! It was wonderful. 5 freaking amazing stars. I'm a little emotionally burnt out now and I can't wait to read the next book.

Elinor | 1548 comments So great that you loved it so much Charlie !
I'm only halfway through, I need to make some progress on it !

message 44: by Bryce (last edited Jul 28, 2019 02:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bryce (brycereads) | 30 comments Still under halfway, was doing another buddy read and finding event moving slowly. I can kind of see what they were going for with chaol (view spoiler) but he is just not that good of a character. Also are his p.o.v chapters really necessary in this book, he is annoying enough in short scenes. On a more positive note, i do like elide, she seems interesting and like she could be fun later on. Enjoying the book though

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments @Elinor I adored it, the last 100 pages or so we're fantastic, I couldn't contain myself. I kept squealing and it was unnerving my partner!

@Bryce I don't think Chaol's chapters were necessary at all. I don't think they added anything at all to the story.

Elinor | 1548 comments Chapter 36 : (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1957 comments I'm up to chapter 7, so will not read the spoilers yet.
But what is it with: (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Elinor Master of Gifs wrote: "Chapter 36 : [spoilers removed]"

I enjoyed this too!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4463 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "I'm up to chapter 7, so will not read the spoilers yet.
But what is it with: [spoilers removed]"

RE magic and Dorian (view spoiler)

RE Chaol (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "I'm up to chapter 7, so will not read the spoilers yet.
But what is it with: [spoilers removed]"

Yep (view spoiler)

Also Dorian (view spoiler)

« previous 1