Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3)
This topic is about Heir of Fire
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Heir of Fire [Jun 15, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
June 15th.

Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments Has anyone started yet?
I'm up to chapter 9 and there are a lot of different and interesting characters. They all have a bad, mysterious side.
I find it also good that (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments I’m about to read the first chapter, super excited!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments I wish I could have reread these with y’all!! I always say that!! I’m always behind on books so can’t enjoy many rereads. Just a few.

I hope y’all enjoy the rest of the series!

Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments As for chapter 9:
(view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments Charlie wrote: "I’m about to read the first chapter, super excited!"

Can't wait for your thoughts!

Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "I wish I could have reread these with y’all!! I always say that!! I’m always behind on books so can’t enjoy many rereads. Just a few.

I hope y’all enjoy the rest of the series!"

Enjoy the few you can do and feel free to comment with what you remember of them. I know the feeling, I'm burried under books at these moment. So much to read, but time...That's another thing.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Thank you! And everything you said!! 😫

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1338 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "As for chapter 9:
[spoilers removed]"

Um..... I can’t say!! I will give away the other books y’all haven’t read yet!!

Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments Keep me in tension :D

Bryce (brycereads) | 30 comments probably going to start today. been reading the authors other series since apparently there are crossovers between the two. from memory this book is where i found the pace picked up and the books set up more for later books

Katie K | 2219 comments Oh?! Crossovers between which two? You mean A Court of Thorns and Roses??? Really???

Bryce (brycereads) | 30 comments apparently, only up to book 2 of a court of thorn and roses but have seen other peoples comments which suggest the slight crossover. apparently kingdom of ash(view spoiler). the other one is more a fan theory but there are several hints that (view spoiler). dont think they are that major and are more like easter eggs or subtle things then proper crossovers from what i can see.

message 15: by Charlie (last edited Jun 18, 2019 12:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments 6 chapters in and loving it. The introduction of multiple perspectives is great, they really add depth to the story.

(view spoiler)

Katie K | 2219 comments That's so neat Bryce! I'll have to keep a lookout for that! Now that this book is getting into more of the fae realm and all. I was curious if the worlds were connected in any way XD

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "As for chapter 9:
[spoilers removed]"

I've just finished chapter 10!
(view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments Bryce wrote: "apparently, only up to book 2 of a court of thorn and roses but have seen other peoples comments which suggest the slight crossover. apparently kingdom of ash[spoilers removed]. the other one is mo..."

That is interesting! I thought there were similiarities between the 2 series.

Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments Charlie wrote: "Saar The Book owl wrote: "As for chapter 9:
[spoilers removed]"

I've just finished chapter 10!

The witches! I'm so excited to see more of them. They sound horrifically evil. I shudder to think wh..."

About the witches: (view spoiler)

About Maeve: (view spoiler)

About Rowan: (view spoiler)

About Cealana:(view spoiler)

About Chaol: (view spoiler)

And then there's the mystery about Aegion. What is he up to?

I'm finishing chapter 12.

Katie K | 2219 comments I'm starting chapter 11 and really enjoying learning more about Maeve and Rowan. They seem like really interesting characters and (view spoiler)

Question about Aedion though. Was he in the other books, mentioned or anything? I was really confused when they began to talk about him more in this one. (view spoiler)

message 21: by Charlie (last edited Jun 20, 2019 03:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments @Saar

About the witches: (view spoiler)

About Rowan: (view spoiler)

About Celaena: (view spoiler)

About Chaol: (view spoiler)

Aedion (view spoiler)

@Katie I'm getting excited to learn more about the Fae too! (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments @Katie:
about Caelana's mother: (view spoiler)
Aedion wasn't mentioned in the other 2 books.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "@Katie:
about Caelana's mother: [spoilers removed]
Aedion wasn't mentioned in the other 2 books."

I think (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments @Charlie:

Witches: (view spoiler)

Rowan: (view spoiler)

Cealana: (view spoiler)

Chaol: (view spoiler)

Aedion: (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments @Saar

I'm probably totally wrong about Aedion, it's just what I'm hoping for. Because it's been so many years since I read this, I can remember very little so it's like I'm reading it all fresh for the first time.

Katie K | 2219 comments That's a good feeling though Charlie! I know there are some books I wish I could read them again for the first time ^-^

Thanks for the refresher on characters everyone! Glad to know I wasn't crazy in how they were talking of Aedion. lol.

I'm liking all of the character discussions too :D

Bryce (brycereads) | 30 comments started reading a few days ago but keep forgetting to post. up to about chapter 22 and have a few opinions.
i still do not like chaol, he does not really serve a purpose in this book and in the last book was slightly annoying towards the end. unless he gets character growth i do not see this changing anytime soon.
aedion (view spoiler). also he got mentioned briefly in the second book but from memory it was a single comment or a fairly short paragraph in dorian or chaols point of view about when they were children.
the witches are fun but not sure how the internal politics works (view spoiler). also side note the wyvern's are awesome and curious how that part will play out
rowan i am not too sure about. he seems to be full of contradictions so far and some of his behaviours seem off. find the demi fae kind of cool. lost as to (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments @Bryce: what is it that you don't like about Chaol?

About the black rings: (view spoiler)

I have the feeling that for some characters things aren't what they seemed as we read about them.

message 29: by Katie (last edited Jun 21, 2019 07:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katie K | 2219 comments I certainly love to learn about the characters and their deep dark secrets as I continue on. They are definately not as they first appear XD

I just finished chapter 22 and boy what a ride those last few sections have been. So exciting :D (view spoiler)

message 30: by Charlie (last edited Jun 22, 2019 02:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments Up to chapter 30. I feel like this is a completely different series to books 1 and 2. It's a huge step up. I'm completely enthralled in the characters and their stories. The writing is also much better.

Regarding Celaena and Meave(view spoiler)

The Skin Walkers (view spoiler)

The black rings. (view spoiler)

Chaol (view spoiler)

The witches. (view spoiler)

Dorian (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments Up to chapter 46 and loving it! (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments Will continue tomorrow and read the spoilers then. Skin Walkers? Haven't come across this one yet. It makes me curious.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments @Saar, you don't want to come across them, awful things, gave me the creeps.

message 34: by Bryce (last edited Jun 23, 2019 03:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bryce (brycereads) | 30 comments up to about chapter 32 and having a lot of fun with this read. my favourite character is(view spoiler). my least favourite character is chaol since (view spoiler). quite enjoying the flashbacks or comments from (view spoiler). i will agree with some of the others though most of the monsters in this book are quite creepy

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments Bryce wrote: "up to about chapter 32 and having a lot of fun with this read. my favourite character is[spoilers removed]. my least favourite character is chaol since [spoilers removed]. quite enjoying the flashb..."

@Bryce I 100% with all of this. (view spoiler)

Bryce (brycereads) | 30 comments Charlie wrote: "Bryce wrote: "up to about chapter 32 and having a lot of fun with this read. my favourite character is[spoilers removed]. my least favourite character is chaol since [spoilers removed]. quite enjoy..."

from what i remember book six is actually pretty good plot wise and has some pretty interesting plot points. only real complaint is (view spoiler). also about aedion and celeana (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments @Bryce

I only read books 1-5 the first time around so I've never read Tower of Dawn. A friend of mine assures me it's great but I really don't want to read it, Chaol is just so boring!

Katie K | 2219 comments Abraxxos is the best, for sure :D

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments Katie wrote: "Abraxxos is the best, for sure :D
"

OMG! He is so Toothless! I'll never see him any other way now!

Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments Charlie wrote: "@Saar, you don't want to come across them, awful things, gave me the creeps."

They're so creepy! (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments Katie wrote: "Abraxxos is the best, for sure :D
"

That's just the way I saw Abraxxos when I read that he had no teeth! I knew that Manon(view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments I'm up to chapter 26, so haven't read the further spoilers.
Chaol: (view spoiler)
Aedion: (view spoiler)
Dorian: (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments Ooh Saar I can't wait for you to get further in! I've just binged until the end and I'm actually crying!! It's ridiculous but I have so many feelings! I need to go to sleep now since it's nearly 1am here but I'll post my thoughts in the morning when I can control myself!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments Thoughts in the last 150ish pages (view spoiler)

Overall I loved this book. It was miles and miles better than the first two, in every way. I honestly felt like I was reading a different series. The writing was excellent, so many quotable moments that gave me chills. The character development was top notch and the story and world building were at another level. I'm so excited to read book 4! I think I'm going to reread the short stories first, to refresh myself.

Katie K | 2219 comments I love how much you love this book Charlie <3 You are very right in it is vastly different from her previous works. There's much more development to the writing...and you just feel the emotion in the pages.

I just finished chapter 42 and was heartbroken for our poor assassin. (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments @Katie

It was a great moment! (view spoiler)

message 47: by Katie (last edited Jun 27, 2019 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katie K | 2219 comments He really is a great guy when you get to know him. The thing is both of those two were dealing with so much on their own...sometimes it came across as hatred or bitterness. With that little bit of communication they were able to open up more and help one another. Being there for one another. Just goes to show you...you never know what people are going through when they act a certain way. ^-^

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments Katie wrote: "He really is a great guy when you get to know him. The thing is both of those two were dealing with so much on their own...sometimes it came across as hatred or bitterness. With that little bit of ..."

I'm seriously rooting for them. I feel like together they could take over the world if they wanted to.

message 49: by Bryce (last edited Jun 27, 2019 04:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bryce (brycereads) | 30 comments Just finished it this morning. Really enjoyed the bok but the ending was so sad. Rowan is probably my second or third favourite character followed by manon and aedion at this stage. Favourite part of the last portion of the book was the war games even it was only one shortish chapter, wish more had time had been on this part rather then the stuff happening with chaol All those cliffhangers at the end though over some of the storylines or characters actions

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4517 comments Bryce wrote: "Just finished it this morning. Really enjoyed the bok but the ending was so sad. Rowan is probably my second or third favourite character followed by manon and aedion at this stage. Favourite part ..."

Yeah the ending really upset me too.

I loved the war games, Manon was fantastic of course.

« previous 1