Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
This topic is about Crown of Midnight
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Crown of Midnight [May 15, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
May 15th.

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Getting my copy somewhere this week.

Shaitarn | 1887 comments I'm tearing through this one, but in a 'I want to get this over with as soon as possible' way, not a good way.

I just don't like Celaena! I find her arrogant and occasionally stupid and yes, at nineteen I probably was too, but it just doesn't gel with this 'perfect assassin' image we're supposed to have of her.

And love triangles - I hate love triangles!

General points: (view spoiler)

Katie K | 1983 comments Shaitarn wrote: "I'm tearing through this one, but in a 'I want to get this over with as soon as possible' way, not a good way.

I just don't like Celaena! I find her arrogant and occasionally stupid and yes, at ni..."

I'm glad you're enjoying the book Shairtarn! Oh wait, maybe I spoke too soon ^^; Not enjoying the read? What chapter are you at?

I'm kinda in the same boat with Celaena. She's an alright character, but I'm not as drawn to her as others of Maas's. As far as her not being the perfect assassin, I think that's kind of the idea, right? The's kind of a girly girl and she makes her fair share of mistakes too. Again, not my kinda character, but I can see how others might enjoy her ^^

Oh no! More love triangles.

Also, what's your spoiler for? I don't want to take a peek yet because I'm not too far XD

Shaitarn | 1887 comments Oh, it's right near the beginning - not even a spoiler really, but I was trying to be halfway considerate! :)

I'm on chapter 42 - it's a fast read, I'll give it that.

I would buy Celaena more if she was written more as a novice or apprentice assassin, but her 'Adarlan's Assassin' tag and the idea she's the greatest assassin in the kingdom makes me roll my eyes.

message 7: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5337 comments Ladies, is this series worth reading?

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Starting next Tuesday. Can't any sooner. I think it was Anni or Charlie that said that books 2 and 3 were okay, but the other ones were much better.

Shaitarn | 1887 comments It's very YA, Choko, so it depends on how much you like the genre.

I'm finding the main character and the love triangle hard work, but then I'm an old grouch!

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Ow, Shaitarn, that's not true :)
I hope there will be other interesting elements then the MC and the triangle, because I'm not of a fan either.

Shaitarn | 1887 comments I've come to the conclusion this series isn't for me; I don't think I'll bother with the third book.

I'll be around for the remainder of this buddy read and I promise I won't be negative!

message 12: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5337 comments Haha! Thank you guys! I will try this series eventually 🙂

Bryce (brycereads) | 30 comments book two is a bit slow and i can see why you did not like celeana, i had the same opinion when i read this book at the start of the year. i can say though it does get better and (view spoiler) also the story starts to pick up in the next book and a few more main characters are introduced which are slightly more interesting

message 14: by Charlie (last edited May 19, 2019 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I think book 3 is much better than 2 and book 4 and 5 are fantastic. It's worth holding out for those (in my opinion!)

I think I'll be starting this tomorrow or Tuesday.

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments At least you've tried, Shaitarn ;) Starting tommorow as well.

Katie K | 1983 comments Glad to hear you're starting soon Saar! I'm still trucking along with this one, is kinda so so far me, but I like what's going on with Dorian (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments I'm currently starting chapter 5, but so far I enjoy it.
I'm curious on how (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I've just started, 4 chapters in.

@Saar
(view spoiler)

Katie K | 1983 comments That Chapter 29 though...

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Saar The Book owl (last edited May 23, 2019 02:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Charlie wrote: "I've just started, 4 chapters in.

@Saar
[spoilers removed]"

@Charlie: exactly my thought. (view spoiler)

I'm at chapter 10 and for some reason I like this one more then the first one. Maybe it's because (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments @Katie: you make me curious!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments @Saar (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments @Charlie: here the same :)

Katie K | 1983 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "@Katie: you make me curious!"
teehee XD

Celeana is definitely doing a lot of growing in this book. To a point at least. (Sometimes I think her reactions are a bit childish still, or self centered, lol)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments @Katie

I 100% agree. She's still a bit petulant like the time (view spoiler) but overall she's definitely growing.

I just love that she's this hard ass assassin with a horrific past that likes to murder people but she also loves pretty dresses and romance books and just wants to lie in bed with her dog. It makes her more human.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Up to chapter 22 (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments @Katie: I definately agree on that.

@Charlie: these are 2 very big contrasts and I like that on her. I'm not going to read your spoiler yet, but almost there.

I'm currently starting chapter 16 and I'm glad that (view spoiler)

About Roland: (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments @Saar

(view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments @Charlie: (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments @Saar

Her betrayal is explained later on (I can't remember what book) but I can't actually remember what the explanation is so I'm really looking forward to learning the truth.

Katie K | 1983 comments @Saar Like Charile mentioned, I'm sure they'll bring up more and more of Celeana's past as the books progress. All that we know is that she cared for someone deeply, and lost them. Is enough for a start, no? (Also, they do explain more about Sam in the prequel, but I wouldn't see any reason not for them to explain in the main series as well) ^^

So many shifty people in this book XD

Katie K | 1983 comments ~Ending Thoughts~
Holy information overload Batman! What’s up with all of that lore drop at the end there Mrs. Maas? lol. (view spoiler)

message 33: by Saar The Book owl (last edited May 26, 2019 03:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Ah, that's something to look forward to!
I'm continuing tomorrow. Now binge - reading the first Shanara book of the original trilogy. Not going to read your ending thoughts yet, Katie, must restrain myself ;)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Up to chapter 32. (view spoiler)

Katie K | 1983 comments You can do it Saar! I believe! XD
Also, how are yah liking the Shanara books? I've heard good things of those >_<

@ Charlie (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments @Katie She does!

Chapter 42 (view spoiler)

message 37: by Katie (last edited May 28, 2019 08:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katie K | 1983 comments Charlie wrote: "Chapter 42 [spoilers removed]"

They'll get to your question regarding Dorian Charlie ;) It's gotta be pretty close since you know about that other stuff.

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments Katie wrote: "You can do it Saar! I believe! XD
Also, how are yah liking the Shanara books? I've heard good things of those >_<

@ Charlie [spoilers removed]"

About the Shanara books: almost there with the first one. It took me to the middle of the book to not give up, but it's pretty good.

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments I'm halfway chapter 22:
(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments @Saar (view spoiler)

Khurram (theirongeek) | 1 comments this is my favourite series, and thus is my second favourite book in the series.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Khurram wrote: "this is my favourite series, and thus is my second favourite book in the series."

I'm so close to finishing! Got about 60 pages to go but I've had to stop reading and go into work. I can't wait for my break.

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments What just happened?? I'm at chapter 27 and I was looking a bit ahead on what to come and: (view spoiler)
I've not read what's coming, just here and there a sentence, but from the previous chapter I think (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments @Saar Yeah she gets a bit fiesty!

I've just finished and I loved it! Excited for book 3!

message 45: by NG (new) - rated it 4 stars

NG Yabili With the right actors and directors, this could definitely be a blockbuster! I really like the character development in this book compared to the previous two. Characters are more lively here; and we have much more sub-plots that make the whole story enjoyable and interesting.
I'm still wondering what happened to the Assassin's guild tho! They've been completely benched.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I think since Divergent failed spectacularly in the end, (the final movie wasn't even released) studios will be reluctant to so YA adaptations of big series. Though typically, they're made dystopian movies, not fantasy so it could be great. I think a TV show would be better, more episodes = more fun!

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments A Netflix - tv show would be great!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "A Netflix - tv show would be great!"

Yes! Netflix are smashing their adaptations right now.

Saar The Book owl | 1965 comments I've noticed it too. My husband watched the adaptation of The Girl With All the Gifts and it seemed pretty good.
At this moment I'm wrapping up (finally!) part 2 of Maas.