Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Throne of Glass [Apr 15, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
April 15th.

message 2: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 83 comments In for sure, it's been on my TBR for ages.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 1982 comments I'm going to try and read this one too :D

Saar The Book owl | 1960 comments Has anyone already started?

Saar The Book owl | 1960 comments It wont be very fast for me personally, because I'm reading other books too. Not a re - read for me.

message 6: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 83 comments I'm going to read it a bit later.

message 7: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1886 comments I'm going to be a bit late I'm afraid, but I will be reading!

message 8: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I'm reading other things so I'll likely read it quite slowly, maybe a few chapters a day. I'll probably start this weekend.

Saar The Book owl | 1960 comments You won't believe it, but that's typical me: I'm reading the wrong book! I've started A Court of Thorns and Roses insteed of this one. So starting this evening with the right one. Also late now ;)

message 10: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Haha I think we're all starting late Saar so no worries.

message 11: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1886 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "You won't believe it, but that's typical me: I'm reading the wrong book! I've started A Court of Thorns and Roses insteed of this one. So starting this evening with the right one. A..."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does things like that! :D

Saar The Book owl | 1960 comments Haha, but I can say that the one I'm reading, is really great. Didn't expect that at all :)

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 1982 comments I'm late to starting this one too, plan on getting to it this week though :D

message 14: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 83 comments Same here, I'm still reading several books and actually I'm on vacation now, so don't have time to read. I'm gonna start this book in May :)

message 15: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments First 2 chapters complete!

I haven't read this since it first came out in 2012 so it's like reading it for the first time. I do remember that after book 3 my enjoyment of the series really increased but so far it's a good start!

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Chapter 3-5

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Up to chapter 14 (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1960 comments I'm reading the Dutch translation, so I'm at chapter 6.

In reply of the first 2 chapters: (view spoiler)

In reply of chapter 3 - 5: (view spoiler)

About the writing style: it's very YA, but no problem with that.

message 19: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "I'm reading the Dutch translation, so I'm at chapter 6.

In reply of the first 2 chapters: [spoilers removed]

In reply of chapter 3 - 5: [spoilers removed]

About the writing style: it's very YA, ..."

@Saar (view spoiler)

message 20: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Up to chapter 23, these trials are fun! (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1960 comments I'm at chapter 11, nearly 12: (view spoiler)

message 22: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "I'm at chapter 11, nearly 12: [spoilers removed]"

True, she needs to tone it down or people will be gunning for her.

message 23: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Apr 29, 2019 11:46AM) (new)

Saar The Book owl | 1960 comments Up on chapter 25: (view spoiler)

message 24: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I agree. I think (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1960 comments I think: (view spoiler)
I'm now on chapter 36.

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 1982 comments I just got through Chapter 25 and I'm very intrigued with Celaena's little dream. (view spoiler)

message 27: by Saar The Book owl (last edited May 02, 2019 10:40AM) (new)

Saar The Book owl | 1960 comments I didn't know there was a prequel?
I'm now at the part where (view spoiler)

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 1982 comments The prequel is a bunch of short stories about how Celaena got where she was in the first book of the series. It's worth checking out :D -- The Assassin's Blade

What chapter is your spoiler Saar? ^^;

message 29: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1886 comments I'm about to dive in and I apologise for my lateness! Looking forward to reading your thoughts as I read this one!

Saar The Book owl | 1960 comments Chapter 38. Sorry, I forgot, but I don't know if the chapters are equal, because I'm reading the Dutch translation ;) Aha, I'll see if my library has the prequel. It's good to know the background of her story.
I'm starting chapter 46. The last chapters almost went how I thought it was. The pace of the story picked a bit up, which was good.
(view spoiler)
No problem, Shaitarn, I think it's worth reading this one. Curious about your thoughts :)

Saar The Book owl | 1960 comments I've finished a few minutes ago.
(view spoiler)
Over all, I liked the story. It was like YA fantasy normally is: well written for this audience, not to complicated, with suspence and a bit of - sometimes annoying - romance.
Looking forward to the next one!

Saar The Book owl | 1960 comments I copy - paste my review here:
4 stars, maybe 4,5 stars.
I wanted to start the series for a while, but never had the time to begin. Thanks to a BR, I finally kicked off with the first book!
This book belongs to the good Young Adult fiction, and that is YA for any age. It wasn't complicated written, but well enough to keep my attention going. There was an almost perfect balance between the suspence and the romance. Although, but that's my personal opinion, the romance was a bit annoying.
As Celaena is the most dangerous assasin in the kingdom, I hope she will grow in that role in the next books. Now she's a typical teenager who fusses about love, the right clothes...
What I missed in the story, was some background information about Celaena: who is she and how she became an important assasin, why was she in Endovier...? I know there's a prequel, but it would have been interesting to have given this information in the story. Reading the story, this lack of background had some impact. That, for me, was a bit of a frustration.
The love story was cute, but it didn't add much to the story in general. It kind of lingered on, with no intentions of something happening. I think this could be a dead end in the next books.
About the trials: I wanted that they would be worked out a little bit more. The last trials were rushed through and there was more focus on the upcoming attackts. For that, I missed a bit of information on Celaena's capabilities and weaknesses on being an assasin.
This might seem as a lot of critics, but I really enjoyed reading this book. As an adult reader I missed a bit of depth in the story and the characters.
But over all, it was good! On to the next part :)

message 33: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1886 comments Up to chapter 14 and I've got to say I'm not enamoured of it so far. I mean, it's okay, but it's not the sort of book that is going to make me sit and read for three hours solid.

Im finding Celaena (how do you pronounce that name? I settled for Selena in the end) somewhat annoying with her arrogance and hoping she can prove she deserves her 'greatest assassin ever' label.

I'm going to assume Chaol (another of the 'how do you pronounce that?' names) is (view spoiler)

So yeah, a bit predictable and trope-heavy, but it's a fast read and enjoyable enough for what it is (I'm sorry if that sounds arrogant, it isn't meant to) and hey, I'm not YA anymore, so I'm certainly not in the target audience.

Looking forward to the contest and hopefully seeing Celaena demonstrate her awesome assassin skills.

message 34: by Saar The Book owl (last edited May 04, 2019 11:56AM) (new)

Saar The Book owl | 1960 comments I join your view about the book. It's YA and good for it's genre and therefore it makes it a fast and enjoyable read.
You're going to be dissapointed about the love triangle thing ;)

message 35: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1886 comments Okay, so after saying I wouldn't read it for hours, I'm at chapter 47! I expect to finish this early tomorrow (hurray for bank holidays!).

A few thoughts:

Celaena (view spoiler)

Love triangle(view spoiler)

The writing is basic and the overall predictableness of it is making me roll my eyes every now and then, but YA has a certain formula and I'm not blaming the author for sticking to it.

I'm hoping Cain, Perrington and Kaltain all get a nasty end in the last few chapters! And the king too, why not?

message 36: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1886 comments Finished - I'm giving it 2 and a bit stars rounded up to 3. It was okay and if I'd read it when I was 15 I might have loved it.

message 37: by Katie (new)

Katie K | 1982 comments I've finished this book today as well. It's a 3 star rating for me. I don't know if it is because it is Sarah J. Maas's earlier works or perhaps the YA genre, but it was just an alright read for me. The characters were interesting enough, but there wasn't too much original content in the overall plot. I'm still eager to continue on because I do adore the ACOTAR series. ^^

I'm ready to see how the relationship between (view spoiler)

message 38: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments It gets better guys, I promise! Books 4 and 5 were genuinely excellent (as far as I remember) so I hope you all stick around.

I'm up to chapter 32 (view spoiler)

message 39: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments I'm finished, really enjoyed it. (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1960 comments Katie wrote: "I've finished this book today as well. It's a 3 star rating for me. I don't know if it is because it is Sarah J. Maas's earlier works or perhaps the YA genre, but it was just an alright read for me..."

I think that (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1960 comments Charlie wrote: "It gets better guys, I promise! Books 4 and 5 were genuinely excellent (as far as I remember) so I hope you all stick around.

I'm up to chapter 32 [spoilers removed]"

So books 2 and 3 are more like the first one? I'll read them though ;)

message 42: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4468 comments Haha yeah, book 2 is, book 3 is better, 4 and 5 are a whole different ball game.