What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Looking for adult novels similar to Violet Evergarden

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dakota (new)

Dakota (queendakota) | 37 comments Just finished Violet Evergarden on Netflix (not my typical fare but was recommended to me by my sister and ended up finding it rather riveting) and now looking for books in a similar vein.

*spoilers ahead*
*spoilers*

So the protagonist was used by the military as a weapon in the war. She was highly skilled in combat and had a recklessness about how she fought that made her very effective in killing people. She seems to be a slave and ends up being given to a man who seems like he views her as more than a weapon but has been given strict instructions to continue to use her in the war effort. He tries to protect her from battle but she charges into the fray regardless. He sees that she has been mistreated and works to normalize her into the world and introduces her to kindness for the first time in her life. She has been mistreated and distrusts him at first but comes to love him, and he her, and would do anything for him (even up to dying). She’s never been cared about by anyone before and therefore has trouble identifying emotions in herself and others and as a result seems somewhat emotionless and highly logical (think Spock) about things as a result of her military training. She is highly effective at her job (i.e. killing people), but later on is struck by how much death she has caused and vows to kill no more.

I would prefer: it to be a love story, adult novel (especially historical or fantasy), and the antagonist to be between 16 and 30 and female. Graphic novels are not my favorite (I don’t think I could handle a 90 book graphic novel series), but am happy to look into things. Already looking into the Violet Evergarden “light novels.”
It may be that nothing like this really exists, I am just putting it out there in case it reminds anyone of any book or series that is similar. TYIA

message 2: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1180 comments It's not the central story -there's a lot more going on, though it's an important part- but Flesh and Silver has a little of this. The story is science fiction though so may not be what you are looking for. I'm going to spoiler this though given what you're looking for describing how it fits isn't so much a spoiler but just in case.. (view spoiler)

message 3: by Carissa (new)

Carissa | 234 comments Dakota wrote: "Just finished Violet Evergarden on Netflix (not my typical fare but was recommended to me by my sister and ended up finding it rather riveting) and now looking for books in a similar vein.

*spoil..."

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions but I also loved the Netflix series. The story line is really interesting so I second this request.

message 4: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Wiseman (gillianwiseman) | 146 comments Do you care that she's a weapon in particular? You might try the SF novellas by Martha Wells that start with All Systems Red - The Murderbot Diaries. The MC is a (genderless) android who is a security guard but suspects that it committed murder in the past (thus the name it gives itself). The series is based around the exploration of what makes someone/thing human.

message 5: by Dakota (new)

Dakota (queendakota) | 37 comments Flesh and Silver sounds intriguing. I ordered in and am currently waiting for it to arrive so I can read it. Thank you for the suggestion.

I’ll look up the Martha Wells novels. Thanks for the suggestions.