2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2019 > Jaymie's 52 Books in 2019

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaymie (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments Here's to another year full of wonderful reads! Cheers!

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Happy new reading year to you too Jaymie!

message 3: by Jaymie (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments Kristin wrote: "Yes, hoping 2019 is indeed a year of wonderful reads. Do you have anything planned for 2019: specific books or series, group or personal challenges, buddy reads, etc?"

Hi Kristin! I think this year will be dedicated to reading all of the physical books that I own and haven't yet read. Lol there's way too many on my shelves! Otherwise, trying to keep up with new releases. Hope your year has started out well!

message 4: by Jaymie (last edited Jan 03, 2019 08:54AM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 1. The Color of Our Sky by Amita Trasi. A powerful story for my first read of the year. I thought this was a captivating book and incredibly emotional. 4 STARS
Read for my Novel Bunch Book Club

message 5: by Jaymie (last edited Jan 07, 2019 10:09AM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 2. The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware. This book was confusing and pretty disappointing. I thought there would be more of a shocking reveal, but overall, the writing just left me with way too many questions. 2.5 STARS
Read for my Novel Bunch Book Club - extra

message 6: by Jaymie (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 3. The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton. A really solid murder mystery with a fun twist. Very enjoyable despite some confusing bits and the many questions I was left with. 4 STARS

message 7: by Jaymie (last edited Jan 22, 2019 08:55AM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 4. Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding. Way too many unnecessary details for me, and a bit too much when it comes to Bridget's character. I prefer the movies as it's a better medium for me to take in and enjoy the story. 2.5 STARS

message 8: by Jaymie (last edited Jul 17, 2019 10:05AM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 5. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. A really good read. Very emotional and entertaining. 4 STARS
Read for my Novel Bunch Book Club - extra

message 9: by Jaymie (last edited Jul 17, 2019 10:06AM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 6. Cold Tangerines: Celebrating the Extraordinary Nature of Everyday Life by Shauna Niequist. This book was easily not written for me, so I didn't connect with it at all.
1 STAR

message 10: by Jaymie (last edited Jul 17, 2019 10:06AM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 7. All Is Not Forgotten by Wendy Walker. Very graphic, but keeps you on your toes. I felt a little disconnected from the reveal, just because I felt like we didn't get as much information about the who-dunnit as we should have throughout the entire story.
3 STARS

message 11: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Awesome job so far keep it up!

message 12: by Jaymie (last edited Jul 17, 2019 10:06AM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 8. I Owe You One by Sophie Kinsella. The main character takes way too long to start thinking for herself and using her brain a bit. But...I still enjoyed it. lol
3 STARS

message 13: by Jaymie (last edited Sep 02, 2019 03:09PM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 9. Again, But Better by Christine Riccio. I just really love Christine. I love her humor, I love her writing, and I love her book. I also just really needed this book for so many reasons. It's everything. 5 STARS

message 14: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments You have read some very interesting books this year. Keep up the great reading!

message 15: by Jaymie (last edited Sep 02, 2019 03:09PM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 10. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I think this book had the potential to be super interesting, but it could have been at least 300 pages shorter. There was just way too much extra stuff to keep my attention on the main issues. I look forward to the movie because it may be a little better in that medium. 2.5 STARS

message 16: by Jaymie (last edited Sep 02, 2019 03:10PM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 11. Where'd You Go , Bernadette by Maria Semple. I loved every single second of this insane book. It was weird, and wild, and fun! I love Bernadette, and I feel so connected to her on a spiritual level. What a great read! 5 STARS

message 17: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments “Read the best books first, or you may not have a chance to read them at all.” I hope the last month has found you some best books.

message 18: by Jaymie (last edited Sep 02, 2019 03:09PM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 12. Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. A solid fantasy story. Laini's writng is still out-of-this-world. It's just beautiful! Although, I think I prefer her Strange the Dreamer series. 3 STARS

message 19: by Jaymie (last edited Sep 18, 2019 06:36AM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 13. Green Rider by Kristin Britain. A reread of a fantastic fantasy book. Maybe this time I’ll finish the series!! 5 STARS

message 20: by Jaymie (last edited Sep 18, 2019 08:55AM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 14. Beartown by Fredrik Backman. Amazing characters, beautiful writing, and very thought provoking. Maybe a little over-the-top in some parts with the author's "wisdom", but a really great read. 4 STARS

message 21: by Jaymie (last edited Oct 05, 2019 07:42PM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 15. The Diviners by Libba Bray. This book terrified me so much that it took almost a whole year for me to finish. Which is a shame, because it's super fun and really enjoyable. I'm just a wimp. 4 STARS

message 22: by Jaymie (last edited Oct 07, 2019 05:21AM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 16. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir. A solid fantasy YA story, but I didn't really feel anything for it. It just sort of existed for me. 3 STARS

message 23: by Jaymie (last edited Oct 05, 2019 07:44PM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 17. Frankly In Love by David Yoon. I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!! It may be my favorite book of 2019. I know it's early to say...but it might have already taken that prize.
5 STARS

message 24: by Jaymie (last edited Oct 07, 2019 05:16AM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 18. Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw. I'm a huge fan of the adaptation of this play, My Fair Lady. I was so happy to see how closely the movie follows the play. So I very much enjoyed this read!! 5 STARS

message 25: by Jaymie (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 19. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adyemi. A really good fantasy story!! I'm always a sucker for those. 4 STARS

message 26: by Jaymie (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 20. Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo. Gahhh I just love Bardugo's writing!!!! I love the strong characters she wrote, and the relationships she created. I love her twists. I love it all. 4 STARS

message 27: by Jaymie (last edited Oct 11, 2019 06:13AM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 21. The Word is Murder by Anthony Horowitz. Such a creative premise with an incredibly disappointing wrap up. 3 STARS

message 28: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 11915 comments Every time I stop by here I add more books to my reading list you are doing awesome!

message 29: by Jaymie (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 22. Young Hercules: The Ares Alliance by Keith R.A. DeCandido. Just a fun little book for a younger audience. And now I HAVE to find the TV show. 3 STARS

message 30: by Jaymie (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 23. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. Her writing is perfection, and I love this world she has created!! 5 STARS

message 31: by Jaymie (last edited Oct 16, 2019 04:50PM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 24. Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo. A great sequel to the Grisha Trilogy!
5 STARS

message 32: by Jaymie (last edited Oct 22, 2019 01:12PM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 25. Still Life by Louise Penny. A great start to a mystery series. I loved the small town feel. 4 STARS

message 33: by Jaymie (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 26. Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo. Leigh just knows how to write an amazing fantasy story. I want to be her. I want to live in her head, as creepy as that sounds. 5 STARS

message 34: by Jaymie (last edited Nov 08, 2019 12:06PM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 27. Daisy Jones and the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid. A book about a rock band in the 1970's? You're speaking my language. And it was just as good as I hoped it would be. 4 STARS

message 35: by Jaymie (last edited Nov 17, 2019 08:04AM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 28. City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert. A beautifully written and masterfully crafted story. Absolutely loved it. 5 STARS

message 36: by Jaymie (last edited Nov 17, 2019 08:04AM) (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 29. Unhooked by Lisa Maxwell. Not my favorite Peter Pan retelling...by a lot.
2 STARS

message 37: by Jaymie (new)

Jaymie (to_booksandbeyond) | 329 comments 30. Rum & Razors (Murder, She Wrote #3) by Donald Bain and Jessica Fletcher. These are always a solid read for me. I love them!
4 STARS