Obsessed with True Crime discussion

Movies/TV Shows/ Podcasts > Says Here...

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12123 comments ...that the creator of BREAKING BAD is putting together a script for HBO about the Jonestown Massacre, and that Quentin Tarantino is working on a movie about the Manson Murders.

Found it in the all-cults issue of People magazine, which includes stories on a bunch of different cultists I never heard of before. One rather hopes there are books or documentaries forthcoming...

message 2: by Hari (last edited Dec 11, 2018 06:17PM) (new)

Hari Brandl (crochetbuddies) | 555 comments A pity: I don't like the writing style in "People Magazine".

message 3: by Fishface (last edited Dec 11, 2018 07:24PM) (new)

Fishface | 12123 comments Normally I wouldn't pay a quarter to spit on that magazine myself, but the cover of this one was hard to resist. Does anyone know of books or movies on Nxivm, or Free Love Ministries? Word of Life or the Nuwaubians?

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Fishface wrote: "Normally I wouldn't pay a quarter to spit on that magazine myself, but the cover of this one was hard to resist. Does anyone know of books or movies on Nxivm, or Free Love Ministries? Word of Life ..."

I've only just started trying to find things for you, Fishface, but here is a podcast. I have not watched it, so, no idea if it's worthwhile, or not.
Uncover: Escaping NXIVM from CBC Podcasts

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Diane wrote: "Fishface wrote: "Normally I wouldn't pay a quarter to spit on that magazine myself, but the cover of this one was hard to resist. Does anyone know of books or movies on Nxivm, or Free Love Ministri..."

Upcoming book, and podcast.
Season One of The Fall [of NXIVM] podcast will launch Valentine’s Day, 2019, followed by the publication of our book The Fall: Toni Natalie’s Saga to Survive Keith Raniere and NXIVM

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Diane wrote: "Diane wrote: "Fishface wrote: "Normally I wouldn't pay a quarter to spit on that magazine myself, but the cover of this one was hard to resist. Does anyone know of books or movies on Nxivm, or Free..."

NXIVM book.
Captive A Mother's Crusade to Save Her Daughter from a Terrifying Cult by Catherine Oxenberg
Captive: A Mother's Crusade to Save Her Daughter from a Terrifying Cult
Author: Catherine Oxenberg
Brief synopsis: In this heartbreaking and shocking exposé, one of Dynasty’s biggest stars lays bare a secretive organization that is holding her daughter hostage and details her mission to save her in this powerful depiction of a mother’s love and determination.

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Diane wrote: "Fishface wrote: "Normally I wouldn't pay a quarter to spit on that magazine myself, but the cover of this one was hard to resist. Does anyone know of books or movies on Nxivm, or Free Love Ministri..."

NXIVM ebook.
AMERICAN CULT NXIVM EXPOSED by Omar Rosales
AMERICAN CULT: NXIVM EXPOSED
Author: Omar W. Rosales
Brief synopsis: If you were in a cult, would you know it? This book delves into the fascinating world of the NXIVM Cult of New York and how they manipulated thousands to take their Executive Success Program courses, using famous Hollywood actors to lure members.

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Fishface, this isn't about NXIVM, but I stumbled across it, and thought I'd see if you have already heard of it (which I am sure you have, as you are the Queen of True Crime Knowledge!).
The new documentary "Holy Hell" shows the rise and fall of Buddhafield

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Diane wrote: "Diane wrote: "Fishface wrote: "Normally I wouldn't pay a quarter to spit on that magazine myself, but the cover of this one was hard to resist. Does anyone know of books or movies on Nxivm, or Free..."

"Penguin Canada publishing director Diane Turbide has acquired Canadian English rights to Don’t Call It a Cult, an account of the secretive NXIVM organization and its ..."
https://quillandquire.com/omni/daily-...

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Fishface wrote: "Normally I wouldn't pay a quarter to spit on that magazine myself, but the cover of this one was hard to resist. Does anyone know of books or movies on Nxivm, or Free Love Ministries? Word of Life ..."

Interview on YouTube.
Cult Expert, Dr.Cathleen Mann interviews Catherine Oxenberg about how she rescued her daughter from the cult of NXIVM. Cult dynamics and in-depth insights are shared by Dr. Mann.

message 11: by Diane in Australia (last edited Dec 12, 2018 06:49AM) (new)

Other names: Aggressive Christianity Missions Training Corps, Aggressive Christianity Missionary Training Corps, ACMTC, Holy Tribal Nation, Free Love Ministries, Death Force Team, Life Force Team. Sometimes mistakenly referred to as Aggressive Christian Mission Training Corps. On its current website, the group says, “We are Shim Ra Na, an intentional, international Spirit community”. (Excerpt taken from ‘Aggressive Christianity’ Cult Leader Deborah Green Sentenced to 72 Years in Prison)

The Free Love Ministries is mentioned in this book.
Kooks A Guide to the Outer Limits of Human Belief by Donna Kossy
Kooks: A Guide to the Outer Limits of Human Belief
Author: Donna Kossy

An anthology ... it documented the rants and ravings of "kooks" such as Richard Brothers (Anglo-Israelism alias British Israelism), Charles E. Buon (God's Envoy to the U.S.A.), Ray Crabtree (The Philosopher King), the first biography of Francis E. Dec (Your Only Hope against the Gangster Computer God), Professor Arnold Ehret (Mucusless Diet Healing System), Joe Gould alias Professor Seagull (The Longest Book Ever Written), Jim and Lila Green (Aggressive Christianity Missionary Training Corps), Hillman Holcomb (Well Regulated Militia of Christian Technocracy), Les U. Knight (Voluntary Human Extinction Movement), alien abductee artist Paul Laffoley (Third Generation Lunatic Fringe), Alfred Lawson (Lawsonomy: The Base for Absolute Knowledge), David Linton (How Men Can Have Babies), Emil Matalik (World/U.S. Presidential Candidate Since 1964), the MIT's crank files (The Archive of Useless Research), Rose Mokry (Jewish Poisoners Are the Sole Producers of All the Diseases, Sudden Deaths and Birth Defects), Dr. Cyrus Teed (not Cyrus Tweed) alias Koresh (Koreshanity: We Actually Live on the Inside of the Earth), black supremacist Dwight York alias Malachi Z. York et al. (Ansaaru Allah Community of Nuwaubianism), etc. (Excerpt taken from Donna Kossy - Wikipedia)

message 12: by Diane in Australia (last edited Dec 12, 2018 06:36AM) (new)

Diane in Australia | 640 comments Fishface wrote: "Normally I wouldn't pay a quarter to spit on that magazine myself, but the cover of this one was hard to resist. Does anyone know of books or movies on Nxivm, or Free Love Ministri..."

Movie. A National Geographic Channel presentation of 3 people who escaped cults. I Escaped a Cult talks to survivors of a polygamist breakaway Mormon sect (Warren Jeffs's FLDS) and a fundamentalist Christian community (Aggressive Christianity Missionary Training Corps). They talk about the abuse they suffered at the hands of the cult and the problems they had in leaving it.
Movie on Dailymotion I Escaped a Cult
IMDb link I Escaped a Cult (2012)

Book by former Nuwaubian cult member.
Holding York Responsible by Robert Rohan
Synopsis: The life and experience of a former member of the Nuwaubian Cult organization founded by convicted cult leader Malachi York. The author Robert Rohan takes us through his humble beginnings from Brooklyn New York from 1987 to the state of Georgia in 1994 and explains how the cult leader controlled, dominated and ultimately destroyed the lives of hundreds if not thousands of members around the country. Cult leader Malachi York was ultimately found guilty of multiple counts of child molestation and is now serving a 124 year sentence at a supermax prison in Colorado.

Nuwaubians are mentioned in this book
The “Nu” Nation: An Analysis of Malachi Z. York’s Nuwaubians
in Esotericism in African American Religious Experience
Author: Paul Easterling (pages 198-209).

Esotericism in African American Religious Experience "There Is a Mystery.".. by Stephen Finley
Esotericism in African American Religious Experience: "There Is a Mystery."..

Nuwaubian book.
The Nuwaubian Nation Black Spirituality and State Control by Susan Palmer
The Nuwaubian Nation: Black Spirituality and State Control

This book Includes a brief chapter on the Nuwaubians focusing on their Islamic phase.
Mission to America Five Islamic Sectarian Communities in North America by Yvonne Yazbeck Haddad
Mission to America: Five Islamic Sectarian Communities in North America

Nuwaubians mentioned in this book.
Down in the Valley An Introduction to African American Religious History by Julius H. Bailey
Down in the Valley: An Introduction to African American Religious History

Nuwaubian book by the founder.
Little Guide Book For Nuwaubians by Malachi York

TV series which had episodes on the The Nuwaubian Nation of Moors, Army of God, Yahweh Nation, Word of Life, Jonestown Massacre, and Tony Alamo Ministries.
People Magazine Investigates: Cults - TV program

Book on Word of Life murders.
Without a Prayer: The Death of Lucas Leonard and How One Church Became a Cult Author: Susan Ashline

Book by Word of Life member.
Nobody Told Me I Was Going to Hell and So Are You Unless... by Richard S. Wright

".... Lucas Leonard and his brother, 17-year-old Christopher Leonard, are Wright’s grandsons. Their mother, Deborah Leonard – one of six church members accused of beating the teens – is Wright’s daughter. And Wright’s son, who is also mentioned in the book, was a pastor at the church in the 1990s." (Excerpt taken from Cult Education Institute)

message 22: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12123 comments Diane wrote: "Fishface, this isn't about NXIVM, but I stumbled across it, and thought I'd see if you have already heard of it (which I am sure you have, as you are the Queen of True Crime Knowledge!).
The new do..."

Another one I never heard of! Great!