In Search of Meaning discussion

General Discussion > Book Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom Worthington (tworthington) | 8 comments Mod
I'm currently a huge fan of Fyodor Dostoyevsky, so I highly recommend anything written by him. My favourites so far are Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov, though I purchased all of his works recently, which are waiting on my shelf to be read.

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl is a must. Ernest Hemingway's writing has also inspired me greatly as of late.

John Steinbeck, Charles Dickens, Leo Tolstoy and Carl R. Rogers are on my to-read-immediately list. Whew, the literary journey is just beginning.

Which books do you most recommend?

message 2: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 4 comments Anyone interested in Nietzsche or Freud please join my group!

message 3: by Raul (new)

Raul  (santyzero) | 1 comments Man’s Search for Meaning is a must. wonderful book. I am spanish speaking native. The book a 100 years of solitude from Garcia Marquez is a good option if you want to understand latam way of thinking, moreover, a way of dying.

Nitche. Zaratrusta

George Orwell 1984, Animal Farm rise more question about society

message 4: by Tom (new)

I've read Man's Search for Meaning, 1984 and Animal Farm, all great books. I see you're reading Kitchen Confidential as well! I love that book so far. I have also been interested in reading 100 Years of Solitude, but I wasn't quite sure. I'll read it for sure now, based on your recommendation.

message 5: by Madison (new)

Madison | 1 comments Have you read Notes from Underground yet? It’s my favorite Dostoevsky

message 6: by Tom (new)

I have! I'm reading it again this month for a book club I'm running at my school

message 7: by E (new)

E (feedmewords00) Hi! I am reading The Alchemist this month. I have also read Crime and Punishment many years ago. It was super amazing. I read Hector and the Search for Happiness a few years back and thought it was pretty good. Of all the books I’ve ever read though I thought Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince) was the best in this category. I’m not so keen on Freud (strange philosophies of parent-child issues) or Tolstoy, but I understand the draw to each.