Play Book Tag discussion

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything
This topic is about Freakonomics
December 2018: Geek Reads > Freakonomics - Levitt and Dubner - 3 1/2 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly | 818 comments This is a book about correlations and challenging how you think. The authors see past obvious explanations to true causes. They do not necessarily follow a clear path through it, instead they look at a variety of topics that interest them and develop those ideas further. They include charts, give brief background information where needed and encourage questions.

Some of the topics discussed include popular names, parenting, real estate agent motives, drug dealers and criminals. The authors show that the driving factors involved for many different subjects may not be want we originally guess.

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments I probably would have liked this book more, if I wasn't already familiar with just about everything they talked about, because I was already a fan of the podcast. I picked up the book thinking it might be a bit more comprehensive, but realized I could have just as easily gone back and listened to previous episodes!

You gave a star reading, but you never said what you actually thought of the book. I'd be interested to hear what you liked/didn't like about it.

message 3: by Sushicat (new) - added it

Sushicat | 804 comments Every once in a while I read a chapter of this book. I enjoy the installments, but it’s not something I would want to read in one go.

message 4: by NancyJ (last edited Dec 11, 2018 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5584 comments I found it very easy to geek out on this book. It's related to my field, but the scenarios were unique and entertaining so I ate it up. I especially loved it because my son discovered it, and gave it to me for Christmas soon after it came out.

I studied and taught motivation, compensation and related management topics. I liked that they applied research methods to people, jobs, and situations that don't normally get this type of analysis. I think it's a great book for critical thinking in general. It encourages you to look at things in a new way.

I didn't know there was a pod cast. That sounds like a great way to get small doses, which is often the ideal way to learn. You can read one story, and noodle it around and think about how the idea might apply to your life or other situations you encounter.