Play Book Tag discussion

Becoming
This topic is about Becoming
Archive: Other Books > Becoming - Michelle Obama - 4 1/2 stars

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly | 804 comments Michelle Obama writes of her life in Becoming and this memoir comes across as truthful and honest. She separates the book into her younger years, her time with Barack and then the their time in the White House. Michelle is an intelligent and successful woman in her own right, but being First Lady of the United States has made her famous world wide. She tells of her struggles to find balance with work and family. Her support and belief in her husband’s views. She wants to make a difference and use her position for good.

Michelle comes from Chicago and talks about her family, school, and her own career. She studied law and looked for meaning in her work. She is not a politician, but realizes she does have a voice and can create a platform for change. She is very open as she discusses her relationship with her parents, husband and daughters. She talks about race and her experiences with it. She understands that life is a process and I enjoyed reading about her journey.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8535 comments Lovely review for what appears to be the book of the season, year, and decade!

message 3: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3812 comments I wonder if this will make the PBT top 10 this year.

message 4: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments It's interesting. As you all know I have an aversion to non-fiction, and although I LOVE Michelle Obama, I have absolutely no interest in reading this, unless I am stuck with a non-fiction tag next year, and then it will be at the top of my list! I am really enjoying reading the reviews though. I feel like that is enough for me!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Ha! If you HAVE to read nonfiction next year because you are FORCED against your will, then maybe this one will fit the bill 😉

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I feel as though you people will force me to read at least one. 🤣

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Susie, you would love it!!! I am so voting for non-fiction if it comes around next year. Just so you can read this book.:)

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8535 comments Hey if non-fiction wins, Susie and I will be reading this one together.

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Let’s do it Amy! It seems like Rachel has it in our futures!

message 10: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8535 comments When the challenge presents itself, and the time is nigh - you and I!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I have it in your futures.:) Amy I really do believe you would enjoy this. I would highly recommend listening to the audio since she narrates it. As much as I despise politics and really had to think about reading this one I am so glad I did.

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8535 comments Rachel, You not only have a book in my future you have audio in it too? Ya never know! Stranger things have happened. You know I’d take a book recommendation first from you above all others any day of the week. Right behind you would be book concierge! And a few others. Used to be JoLene. Definitely Ladyslott and Kelly, and often Joi. Right now though, you’re my gal. We should be talking about what you read in 2019. Naturally I already have a few suggestions. I bet you do too.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Rachel, You not only have a book in my future you have audio in it too? Ya never know! Stranger things have happened. You know I’d take a book recommendation first from you above all others any day..."

I am open to any suggestion for 2019! I haven't thought that much about it yet but was actually going to start working on that this weekend.
The audiobook was amazing. Her voice is calm, soothing, and she is just so intelligent. It was a breath of fresh air.

Kelly | 804 comments Amy wrote: "Rachel, You not only have a book in my future you have audio in it too? Ya never know! Stranger things have happened. You know I’d take a book recommendation first from you above all others any day..."

Amy - I am looking forward to seeing what you read in 2019!

message 15: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8535 comments I seem to think there’s about to be a thread that will allow me to tell you guys what I’m planning to read in 2019. Kelly and Rachel stay posted. I saw that there’s a buddy reads 2019 thread up coming and my alerts. But don’t worry I’ve got you guys!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Amy wrote: "I seem to think there’s about to be a thread that will allow me to tell you guys what I’m planning to read in 2019."

The admins are not posting a general 2019 planning thread, if that is what you think may be about to be posted! lol.

If you would like to start one, please feel to do so under the 2018 Footnotes and then we can move it to the 2019 Footnotes when we start that on January 1st!

annapi | 4986 comments I'm not sure I will get around to this book this year, so I may join you in a buddy read of this next year! I was so hoping the NFL challenge would win, but oh well!