Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Brina’s 2019 Classic Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brina (last edited Jan 14, 2019 05:08PM) (new)

Brina In 2019 I made the decision to read mainly nonfiction. I can’t stay away from this challenge though and I will be participating in abbreviated form, only completing the Level 2 Bingo this year. By the way, Bingo is the name of my cat and I think that contributes to me feeling the urge to complete this challenge. Here is what I decided on- -

I2 New to Me Author: A Fine Balanceby Rohinton Mistry
I3 Classic Play: Sunday in the Park With George by Stephen Sondheim
I4 Literary Prize of My Country/Region: Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt

N2 Short Story Collection: The Ballad of the Sad Café and Other Stories by Carson McCullers
N3 Free Space: Dreams of My Russian Summers by Andreï Makine
N4 Poetry or Essay Collection: Fame & Folly: Essays by Cynthia Ozick

G2 Award Winning Female Author: Pale Horse, Pale Rider by Katherine Anne Porter
G3 Classic Nonfiction: Boss: Mayor Richard J.Daley of Chicago by Mike Royko
G4 Written by a Nobel Laureate: The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Dec 11, 2018 08:22PM) (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9562 comments Mod
So glad you have decided to do Bingo for 2019! I love that this challenge is named after your cat ;)

message 3: by Brina (new)

Brina I am reading some fiction but not enough to fill the whole board. I’m already planning for 2020 something really special lol. I have 7 cats but Bingo is my special guy who sleeps on my bed. Honestly if I didn’t say his name about one hundred times a day I wouldn’t consider the challenge ;)

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3958 comments This is a great selection, Brina--inspired by your own Bingo maybe? I'd like to read Feast of the Goat next year too maybe.

message 5: by Brina (new)

Brina Kathleen, only books already on my tbr for next year. With all the nonfiction I’m reading some of the squares would have been tricky to fill in. I’m looking forward to a fiction filled 2020 where I complete all the challenges here.

message 6: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments This is a really good idea. I hadn't thought of doing a bingo challenge with nonfiction books. I have 26 nonfiction books on GR and physical shelves. There always seems to be a fiction book that is more intriguing. If I did a Level One bingo diagonal from B5 to O1, that would be five nonfiction books, which should be doable. Thanks!

message 7: by Brina (new)

Brina Marilyn I am mainly reading nonfiction next year except for fiction that has been on my tbr for awhile like the Katherine Anne Porter book. I do love biographies and will be reading a lot of Pulitzer’s next year. I’d love to see what nonfiction books you come up with.

message 8: by Richp (new)

Richp | 27 comments Go for the nonfiction. There is a lot more information there. I am more proud of my NF than my fiction classic reading.

message 9: by Brina (new)

Brina I finished Angela's Ashes and updated above, review to come.

message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3220 comments Brina wrote: "I finished Angela's Ashes and updated above, review to come."

I loved Angela's Ashes but read it many years ago when it first came out.

message 11: by Brina (new)

Brina Me too. I read it when it came out but not since. Now I’m curious to read ‘Tis. Here is my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 12: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 966 comments Great review!
And I am impressed by your plan! I really should make an effort with non-fiction...

message 13: by Brina (new)

Brina Vero, I do enjoy nonfiction. And in the last few years I haven’t read nearly as much because I’ve focused on challenges and group reads in my groups. My goal is to catch up on nonfiction Pulitzer winners this year and return to fiction next year.