CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2018 Weekly Threads > Week 50 - Books that Touch Your Heart

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 698 comments Mod
As the holidays come along, it's good to make sure you take time to relax. And of course there is no better way to relax than to pick up a good book!

What is everyone reading this week? I just read the most wonderful book. It's called The Library Book by Susan Orlean. The book talks about the worst library fire in US history - the Los Angeles Central Library fire of 1986. More than just a recounting, though, Orlean also looks at the history of the LA Public Library and the colorful cast of characters (both past and present) that makes it what it is today. She also touches on what makes libraries so important; how they are more than just a depository for books.

I laughed. I cried. I reflected. I got angry. I felt a renewed sense of purpose for my job as a librarian. Maybe it's because I work in a library that this book touched me so much. It really made me think. And I realized, more than ever, that the world of the library is where I belong.

Tell us about a book that you read that touched you in some way.

The Library Book by Susan Orlean

message 2: by Ann (last edited Dec 15, 2018 10:45AM) (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 447 comments Two books profoundly affected me, and made me think: The Graves are Walking and The Jazz of Physics. The first is a fascinating book, in a really tick you off sort of way, about the Great Famine in Ireland, how and why it happened, and how everything seemed to work to just make things worse.
The other is just fascinating, even if he did lose me in the math for a bit. The author, at several points in his life had the opportunity to choose to study music or math, and although he chose math he never abandoned his music. The music of the spheres exists, and the early universe glowed (read it to find out how).
The Graves Are Walking The Great Famine and the Saga of the Irish People by John Kelly The Jazz of Physics The Secret Link Between Music and the Structure of the Universe by Stephon Alexander