Omnibus/OHC Graphic Novel Collectors discussion

Comic Reading Discussion > Best Books of 2018

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Relstuart, Mod+ (last edited Dec 12, 2018 06:05AM) (new)

Relstuart | 2823 comments Mod
We're nearly done with 2018. What books stood out to you as your favorites in 2018? I'm doing a company breakdown but please feel free to let us know what stood out to you in whatever format works for you. :)
Any big changes for you in how you read or collect this year?

For me:

Marvel: Silver Surfer omnibus by Slot and Allred. This won an Eisner for one of the issues. I haven't checked which issue yet but the story of the Silver Surfer sharing the cosmos with someone else on adventures was fun and as the story threads were pulled together towards the end, your heart strings got tugged a little too. Very well done.
Runner up: Tom King's The Vision OHC. I felt like this book had some interesting philosophical depth with musings on what humanity is.

DC: Superman Rebirth DLX telling the story of an Alternate world's Superman and his family coming to the main DC universe.

Image: Invincible. This series has been coming out for year but the final OHC was released in 2018 and I read all of it for the first time this year. A series where the hero and the good guys never felt safe and I never knew what story twist was going to hit me next.

Titan Comics: Hercules Wrath of the Heavens. This is a sci-fi reimaging of the story of Hercules. The art is fantastic and I am eagerly waiting for the next TPB while also hoping there will be a large hardcover.

Favorite new series discovered this year: Ether: The Death of the Last Golden Blaze. Lovely Rubin art and an interesting story about a scientist who can go to an alternate dimension where the rules of magic break the rules of science, or do they? Part murder mystery, detective story, sci-fi, and fantasy all blended together.

I went through a big physical move this year from an apartment to a house. Lots of work. I love the value of omnibus editions and how great it is to have so much story continuously in one book. They also look great on the shelf. However, I've found I've been more likely to pick up smaller editions and read them sooner and faster than the large editions this last year.

Previous year's thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Riley | 126 comments I have a question.

Dose the comic need to be published in 2018? Or can it be any comics you read in 2018 regardless of year of publication?

Thank you.

message 3: by Ooh_jim (new)

Ooh_jim | 251 comments If we're talking floppies too, my vote goes to Immortal Hulk.

message 4: by Relstuart, Mod+ (last edited Dec 12, 2018 06:02AM) (new)

Alicia wrote: "I have a question.

Dose the comic need to be published in 2018? Or can it be any comics you read in 2018 regardless of year of publication?

Thank you."

I went with books I read in 2018. :)

I wouldn't be surprised to see some best of votes go to the Silver Surfer omnibus by Slott and Allred I am reading now. It is pretty good.

For me my favorite thing I read in floppies is probably Coda.

message 5: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Riley | 126 comments Relstuart wrote: "Alicia wrote: "I have a question.

Thank you."

I went with books I read in..."

Thank you.

message 6: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Riley | 126 comments I choose The Simon & Kirby Library books from TITAN BOOKS if your Simon & Kirby fans.

Both Simon & Kirby Fighting American and newer Fighting American volume 1 for both fighting Communist and humor.

Challenger of the Unknown by Jack Kirby for those who like adventure and old fashion villain of the week.

The Sliver Age of Supergirl Volume 1 fun read.

The Fade Out by Ed Brubaker (almost anything by him) and Sean Phillips Crime and Mystery, Hollywood 1948, noir.

The Marvel Project by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting

Captain America Patriot by Karl Kesel secrets and old characters.

Captain America The Chosen by Mitch Breistweiser

message 7: by Relstuart, Mod+ (new)

I started this tread a bit early. Anyone else have any thoughts about their favorite reads of 2018? :)

message 8: by Johnny (new)

Johnny | 509 comments The Don Rosa and Carl Barks HC collections from Fantagraphic. These books are a great collection of restored comic culture and history, and they are the only comic books I have bought in 2018 that I have fully read from start to finish within a week of buying them. It helps that these stories were a big part of my childhood so it is great to experience them again.

message 9: by Relstuart, Mod+ (new)

Johnny wrote: "The Don Rosa and Carl Barks HC collections from Fantagraphic. These books are a great collection of restored comic culture and history, and they are the only comic books I have bought in 2018 that ..."

Love those. I remember laughing so hard reading these as a young teen when I first discovered them. Rosa's art and background gags are really so well done.

message 10: by Nickviola (new)

Nickviola | 1016 comments (1) Black Hammer Library Edition
---I dont even know DC so the analogues mean less to me, but really grounded heroes without overly post-modern everything is terrible-vibe. I love Jeff Lemire and finally seeing him get to build a superhero world with his sensibilities instead of shoe-horning it into X-Men or Inhumans is delightful. The art by Dean Ormston is this painterly, lived in world but the flashbacks are pulpy. Its hard to think of someone who wouldn't like this.

(2) Absolute Wonder Woman (Azzarello/Chiang)
---I love Greek mythology and the focus on the gods and demi-gods was super entertaining for me and is basically the only DC book I own.

(3) Ex Machina
---Only 1/3 of the way through, but really ballsy writing by a younger BKV. As a former NY-er, love the feel of the city in it, and the central conceit of a former superhero becoming mayor and dealing with a mix of high level terrorist threats and managing gay marriage outrage is well handled. Some minor bits already seem outdated, the main character is a little quippy/snarky, and Tony Harris does a few too many close-up-intense-face shots (but I think this is BKV direction as Saga has it too), but overall really smart and fun.

(4) Captain Britain Omnibus
---Alan Moore and Alan Davis dimension hoping superhero fun where the marvel multi-verse was born. Just perfect comics. Would kill for an Excalibur omnibus.

(5) BPRD Hell on Earth Hardcovers
---How this gets more entertaining the longer it goes, I dont understand. The new characters are super fun, the stakes are crazy, the monsters are crazier, how could this possibly get resolved, who knows, but its so fucking fun.

(6) Avengers and Fantastic Four (Hickman) Omnibuses
---I know DC has Watchman and Dark Knight Returns and there grounded post-modern grimy classics that's are great, but if you want classic characters being written as smartly as possible and woven into the full line tapestry as tightly as possible, this is it. Obviously huge stakes, great character writing, beautiful art. I already can't wait to re-read this.

(7) Silver Surfer (Slott/Allreds) Omnibus
---What a surprisingly emotional ride. A couple less compelling story issues, but some really beautiful ones and a lovely overall arc for both central characters. The art is thrilling and joyous throughout. I would recommend this to almost anyone.

(8) Deadly Class Hardcover 1&2
---As long as you dont mind violence, another book its hard to imagine someone not liking, especially volume 2. New characters were super entertaining, great art, fast pace but not as racing as Black Science. Smart dialogue. I was late to this party, but man were these fun.

**honorable mention for most disappointing book of the year: Captain America (mark waid) omnibus,

message 11: by Blindzider, Moderator (new)

Blindzider | 3144 comments Mod
Some excellent choices Nickviola. I'd put in Black Hammer, Silver Surfer and Deadly Class as well.

For what I actually read in 2018, my list is a little eclectic. Not necessarily "the best ever" but stuff that stood out the most to me.

Doctor Strange by Donny Cates (planning to purchase the HC)
Invincible Vols 5, 6, and 7 (really raised the stakes and level of maturity in the book)
The Vision (thought provoking and so different than anything else)
Walt Simonson's Thor (worth the wait for me to read)
Justice Society of America: Thy Kingdom Come (solid good vs. evil superhero story)

While not a hardcover (yet. Hoping Zdarsky's run gets collected as a HC):
Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 3: Amazing Fantasy (funny, reverential, and even a little heart-breaking, especially for long-time fans of the character.)