Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > Independent Publishing

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by TriMark (new)

TriMark Press (trimarkpress) | 5 comments Good afternoon everyone,

I thought I would pop in and leave some information about Trimark Press. We're an independent publishing boutique, which means we're not Random House but we're also not self-publishing.

We fall somewhere in the middle and handle all the legal components (LOC Number, ISBN), editing, proofing, cover design, layout, and more.

I guess the main thing that makes us different is that we pride ourselves on making the book the author dreams of. We give options and opinions but at the end of the day the book belongs to the author! This is their baby and that's what we treat it like.

You can see the books on our website, Facebook and Instagram. We've done pretty much every genre out there, and we'll be releasing our first graphic novel Spring 2019.

Hopefully we'll hear from some of you, if anything just to give you some more information. If you've made it this far, well thank you and good luck with your writing!

T: 561-953-1777
www.Trimarkpress.com
facebook.com/trimarkpressinc
@trimarkpress

message 2: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments Would you the. Consider yourself a hybrid publisher?

message 3: by Mellie (last edited Dec 11, 2018 11:08AM) (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 542 comments I would suggest people read the thread on Absolute Write and form their own opinion of this service.
https://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...

In short, don't pay a "publisher" for services you can do cheaper and better yourself.

message 4: by TriMark (last edited Dec 11, 2018 12:04PM) (new)

TriMark Press (trimarkpress) | 5 comments Effie wrote: "Would you the. Consider yourself a hybrid publisher?"

We've always used the term boutique publisher, but we do fall under the hybrid category. We try to take the best of both worlds.

message 5: by TriMark (new)

TriMark Press (trimarkpress) | 5 comments A.W. wrote: "I would suggest people read the thread on Absolute Write and form their own opinion of this service.
https://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...

In short, don't..."

I can't speak to cheaper or not (we have no one price as every project is individual with some requiring a lot of work and some coming in almost perfect), but we stand by the quality of everything we've ever published. And most importantly our authors have always been happy with the end result as we try to execute their vision.

Have a nice one!

message 6: by TriMark (new)

TriMark Press (trimarkpress) | 5 comments Our contracts are 50% when we sign and 50% when the project is completed. I also don't think a single one of our authors would say they paid an exorbitant fee.

I understand your skepticism, but we work very hard to make books people can be proud of.

You've obviously found something that works for you, so I wish you all the best luck with that.

message 7: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments So you are a vanity press, then. Normally, publishers pay authors, not the other way around. If you are selling editing services that is different. I prefer to keep total control and hire my own people.

message 8: by Mellie (last edited Dec 11, 2018 05:15PM) (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 542 comments TriMark wrote: "Our contracts are 50% when we sign and 50% when the project is completed."

You're a vanity press. Authors PAY you to publish AND you take half their royalties.

Further the kindle books on Amazon are priced way out of line with the market ($10-18). They are ranked in the millions indicating very few, if any, sales. There are few to no reviews, meaning this "publisher" is clueless about ARCs.

All of these are common warning signs of a vanity press, who often price exorbitantly high because they either don't know what they are doing or simply don't care if they sell any books or not since they make their money selling expensive "publishing packages" to naive writers. With an ebook price of over $9.99 they are dropped into the 35% royalty rate (down from 70%) so the authors receive even less.

If you have happy authors then I assume they are completely clueless about publishing - or they would have known you don't pay to publish AND give up your royalties.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

message 9: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 542 comments The Just-About-Cocky Ms M wrote: "I checked some of the "reviews" for a couple of the books. While they are all marked "Verified Purchase" on Amazon, about 80% to 90% of the reviews are from people who have reviewed only the book i..."

I was giving this vanity press the benefit of the doubt there, since they don't usually bother with reviews. It is possible that might be a case of clueless authors getting friends and family to leave them glowing 5-stars.

message 10: by TriMark (new)

TriMark Press (trimarkpress) | 5 comments Alright, last post from our end but I did want to clarify that we don't take any royalties. Page one of our contract states that the book belongs solely to the author. The things we charge for are the editing, layout, proofing, illustrations, etc.
And as mentioned our rates are actually extremely fair. I highly doubt I'll be hearing from you guys, which is fine, but I did want to set that straight for anyone who does think they would benefit from our help.
Also the only reason I wouldn't consider us a vanity press is that we don't take every book that comes our way.
Anyways, it's been fun as always. Best of luck with all your writing projects!

message 11: by J. (new)

J. Rubino (jrubino) | 95 comments Technology, and the ability to put out e-books, has changed a lot in publishing, but the three publishing models have not changed:
1. Traditional publishing - You submit directly or through an agent, the publisher accepts your manuscript, contracts to pay an advance and/or royalties, and takes on all of the responsibility for editing, cover design, production, distribution, PR.
2. Self publishing - The author pays for services that may include some or all of the publishing services, including editing, cover art, formatting and some form of promotion. The advent of print on demand technology has made this easier for self publishing services and has (or should have) made it cheaper for the author because books no longer have to be produced and ordered in runs of hundreds or thousands. There are many book production services that call themselves "publishers", but they are basically a book printing and packaging service.
3. Fee for service - Ghost writing is the best known form of fee-for-service, but this is basically an operation where the writer is hired to write a specific book for a fee - there are usually no royalties involved, and reprint, republishing rights may vary.

I have done all three, and there is nothing wrong with any of them as long as the service is honest and author understands the deal. However, in traditional publishing, the author does not pay anything up front (though the author may, in all forms, bear the cost of maintaining a web site, putting out a book trailer or other promotion.)