A Good Thriller discussion

PIFM - Archive > PIFM - Chat/Banter/Review Your January 2019 Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5761 comments Mod
This thread is where you can chat about all things PIFM, ask questions and once books have been read, review your selected reads. A complete free for all.

PLEASE NOTE:

PIFM is meant to be FUN and not to be taken seriously. I would appreciate it if all participants just chilled and not get worked up about voting, who votes, who doesn't, etc. Please bear in mind that some will just want to vote, many don't come on everyday and most of us have time constraints. I just want a relaxed approach to it all and for you all to just enjoy the process! I'd really appreciate your courtesy in this matter. Many thanks.

message 2: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Gonna post my list soon.

message 3: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 876 comments I just posted my list. Going to vote now.

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Perri,

Hope all is well. The Christmas trees are on my iPad or phone as an option created in my emoji keyboard.
I thought it was a fun way to denote votes.

message 5: by Perri (new)

Perri Melanie wrote: "Perri,

Hope all is well. The Christmas trees are on my iPad or phone as an option created in my emoji keyboard.
I thought it was a fun way to denote votes."

Now Val is doing it too! I feel so left behind ;)

message 6: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 876 comments I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas (if you celebrate) and a Happy New Year's. Also Happy Reading!!

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8161 comments I posted my list. If you haven't voted, take some time and do so, please!

Val - discovered that series on Kindle and I buy the e-book whenever she releases a new one!

Perri - you do NOT want to know how many series. Seriously, I am tracking 467 series on Fictfact.com

message 8: by Perri (new)

Perri Merry Christmas, Tonya!

Kirsten, do you trouble keeping track of them? That's remarkable!

message 9: by Dana (last edited Dec 14, 2018 08:01AM) (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 593 comments I had never heard of that site Kirsten... that's pretty cool! I have a lot less than you though :)

Looks like Outsider is going to win by far... but I think there are still alot of votes to come in. I would definitely enjoy a buddy read for that one, I think it's long...

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale I apologize for being a day late on some of my votes but by the time I finished doing everything else I needed to do yesterday, it was after sunset and I don't like being outside on a rainy night when it's as cold as it's been recently.

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8161 comments Dana wrote: "I had never heard of that site Kirsten... that's pretty cool! I have a lot less than you though :)

Looks like Outsider is going to win by far... but I think there are still alot of votes to come i..."

Fictfact is great. Not just because you can mark which ones you've read. But they also let you know when new ones are out and maintain a new releases calendar.

message 12: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 593 comments That's awesome, I joined. And found out there's a new Will Trent next year!

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Never heard of that site.

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Ok so I went down the Fictfact.com wormhole! Loved it, didn’t sleep and now maybe I can delete 80 percent of my Goodreads shelves. Truly addictive.

message 15: by Perri (last edited Dec 16, 2018 08:58AM) (new)

Perri Checked it out-truly a find for series oriented readers!
📖 (Thanks Val!)

message 16: by Bob (new)

Bob Tonya wrote: "I just posted my list. Going to vote now."

New here. Where are the lists posted?

message 17: by Perri (new)

Perri Bob wrote: "Tonya wrote: "I just posted my list. Going to vote now."

New here. Where are the lists posted?"

Hi Bob, welcome! At the top of the page, click on the Pick It For Me, hyperlink, You can post books you want to read in the PIFM-January 2019 thread, and vote for other people's books in the PIFM-Place Your January 2019 Selections Here thread.

Just holler if you need help-we're a friendly group :)

message 18: by Bob (new)

Bob Ha, hiding in plain site. Thanks.

message 19: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Bob wrote: "Ha, hiding in plain site. Thanks."

Welcome Bob. I’m currently facing a tie with my top two books. Another member chose her favourite 3 from my list so I have a “possible tie break vote” currently in effect.

If you’d like to join in the voting perhaps your opinion will put one of my books into a more official lead?

PIFM is a fun way to choose your next read. Would love to vote an your list if you have one.

message 20: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 876 comments Welcome Bob. I hope you enjoy our group as much as i do. We all try to have fun and enjoy ticking these books off our list one at a time.

message 21: by Tonya (new)

Tonya (tonyasmith) | 876 comments Welcome Bob. I hope you enjoy our group as much as i do. We all try to have fun and enjoy ticking these books off our list one at a time.

message 22: by Patricia (last edited Dec 22, 2018 10:54PM) (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1133 comments Since I have a tie, I've decided to start reading one of them - My Salinger Year by Joanna Rakoff My Salinger Year. I have a friend in Brooklyn who happens to be a writer whom I know will also enjoy this one.

message 23: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 5723 comments I already put my list of books

message 24: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 593 comments Merry Christmas/ happy holidays everyone! ⛄️

message 25: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8161 comments If you haven't voted, please do. I have a tie!

message 26: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 939 comments The Woman in the Window won by a landslide for me so I will be reading that. I just got a notification that it is on sale for $4.99 right now too, so YAY!

I wanted to see if anyone wanted to do a read-a-thon with me the weekend of January 26-27. It is not sponsored on here, but an outside website.
This one has the participants read for a total of 24 hours over a period of 48 hours. We could post a thread here and do it like a buddy read (if it is ok with Janet).

Here is the link to the info on how the read-a-thon works
https://24in48.com/

message 27: by Donna (new)

Donna Schmidt | 63 comments Hey Vicki! I just signed up for the read-a-thon. I will do it with you!!

message 28: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 939 comments Ok, great!
What did you put for where you were going to put your updates on the sign up?
I am excited to have a dedicated reading weekend.

message 29: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 593 comments I'll join too!

message 30: by Vicki Willis (last edited Dec 27, 2018 02:48PM) (new)

Vicki Willis | 939 comments I created a thread for anyone who wants to join the Read-a-Thon in January. Come check it out even if you aren't sure you can do 24 hours. It is just fun to carve out some dedicated reading time!

24in48 Read-a-thon

message 31: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Death Trip (Detective Johnny Mann, #3) by Lee Weeks is streaking ahead, thanks for all your votes everyone I am looking forward to continuing with this series, it's been a while!

message 32: by Amber (last edited Jan 05, 2019 12:04PM) (new)

Amber Martingale I've ordered my first and second place books. Haven't decided which of the several books that only got 1 vote each to order as my third place choice. Maybe I'll wait until I either read or attempt to read my first and second place books first before I order third place.

And for next month I'm deleting the links to every one of those 1 vote books I couldn't find in the library database.

message 33: by Perri (new)

Perri Thanks for voting Mandy and now I have a tie ;) But I'd like to read both THe Chalkman and The Outsiders esp if I can find some buddy readers

message 34: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 939 comments *Perri
I would want to do a buddy read for The Outsider in early January if you would be ready then.
I would also want to read The Chalk Man with you, but at some point after that (still in January though).

message 35: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8161 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "*Perri
I would want to do a buddy read for The Outsider in early January if you would be ready then.
I would also want to read The Chalk Man with you, but at some p..."

Would love to join in on Outsider!

message 36: by Perri (new)

Perri I was born ready :)

message 37: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 939 comments How about January 1 for The Outsider?
Perri, Kirsten, does that work for you?

message 38: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8161 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "How about January 1 for The Outsider?
Perri, Kirsten, does that work for you?"

Yes!!

message 39: by Perri (new)

Perri How about the fifth? That gives me a week to finish my current reads

message 40: by Perri (new)

Perri Or you all could start and I'll just catch up

message 41: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 939 comments The 5th works for me.
Kirsten?

message 42: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments So I’ve been working on not purchasing books and reading what I own all year. I have to admit I was getting bored but was being diligent. No reason to be bored..the books are great, it’s just I knew every month what the options were
. 💖💖Ah my fickle heart.💖💖
So my Mom gave me 5 new books I will list later and my husband gave me a Kobo gift card. Kobo is running a huge Boxing Day Sale....so...I picked up these books today:

Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage The Crow Trap (Vera Stanhope, #1) by Ann Cleeves Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal The Memory Box by Eva Lesko Natiello The Lightkeeper's Daughters by Jean E. Pendziwol

Baby Teeth
The Crow Trap
Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows
The Memory Box
The Lightkeeper's Daughters

Would love thoughts on these books if you have read them.
Only spent $10.38 ... Most expensive book was $2.00 🤗🤗

message 43: by Perri (new)

Perri Melanie: Erotic Stories-no explanation needed :)

message 44: by Val (new)

Val "Now Val is doing it too! I feel so left behind ;) "
You make me laugh, Perri!

Kirstin, I'm going to have to get a Kindle one of these days! Do you have any recommendations? The ones I'm seeing on Amazon have 6 & 7 inch screens and my eyes need something bigger! I'm definitely going to check out FictFact. I read a lot of series, too.

message 45: by Patricia (last edited Dec 30, 2018 09:53AM) (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1133 comments Val, you can adjust the size of type on your kindle. I used it where the lighting was bad since it is nice and bright.

message 46: by Val (new)

Val "That's awesome, I joined. And found out there's a new Will Trent next year!"
Dana, that is what I say. And it's about bloody time!

"Checked it out-truly a find for series oriented readers!
📖 (Thanks Val!) "
Ha, ha. You're welcome, Perri.😇 Sometimes I love characters so much that I want to keep reading about them.

BOB: Welcome!!

message 47: by Val (new)

Val Melanie: Just added Erotic Stories and Lightkeeper's Daughters to my TBR list!

message 48: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 939 comments @ Melanie
I just recently read The Memory Box by Eva Lesko Natiello and though it sounded like my EXACT kind of book, it missed the mark for me. Some people really loved it, so I can't wait to hear how you feel about it.

message 49: by Val (new)

Val Patricia wrote: "Val, you can adjust the size of type on your kindle. I used it where the lighting was bad since it is nice and bright."

Aha! Good to know.

message 50: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "@ Melanie
I just recently read The Memory Box by Eva Lesko Natiello and though it sounded like my EXACT kind of book, it missed the mark for me. Some people really loved it, so I can't wait to hear ..."

Thanks for letting me know. I’m glad that I purchased The Memory Box at a bargain price!

« previous 1 3