2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2019 > Regina reads 75-ish books

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Regina (last edited Nov 24, 2019 06:47PM) (new)

Regina Lemoine | 482 comments I decided to up my yearly goal to 75.

Progress: 67/75

Completed:
1. Fox 8
2. The Mysterious Affair at Styles
3. My Sister, the Serial Killer
4. The Mezzanine
5. The Moor's Account
6. Dissolution
7. Sea Prayer
8. The Black God's Drums
9. The Blind Assassin
10. The Professor
11. Chess Story
12. Dr. Thorne
13. Fingersmith
14. A Murder Is Announced
15. Agnes Grey
16. Ghost Wall
17. Once Upon a River
18. The Wonder
19. A Test of Wills
20. We Who Are About To...
21. They Do It With Mirrors
22. The Bell Jar
23. The Surgeon
24. Milkman
25. The Apprentice
26. What matters in Jane Austen?: Twenty crucial puzzles solved
27. Not My Father's Son
28. Cloud Atlas
29. On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
30. Lanny
31. Northanger Abbey
32. A Pocket Full of Rye
33. Gender Queer: A Memoir
34. Another Country
35. The Sinner
36. The Handmaid's Tale
37. The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side
38. In the Palm of Darkness
39. The Turn of the Key
40. Strange Weather in Tokyo
41. Feminism for the 99%: A Manifesto
42. Wuthering Heights
43. Heads of the Colored People
44. Thirteen Ways of Looking
45. A Ladder to the Sky
46. Alberta and Jacob
47. Savage Appetites: Four True Stories of Women, Crime, and Obsession
48. Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic
49. A Caribbean Mystery
50. The Yellow House: A Memoir
51. The Testaments
52. Ducks, Newburyport
53. Gun Island
54. Everything in This Country Must
55. The Moonstone
56. Flags in the Dust
57. The Mayor of Casterbridge
58. At Bertram's Hotel
59. Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland
60. Vanish
61. Body Double
62. My Life in Middlemarch
63. Nemesis
64. SLEEPING MURDER
65. A Box of Matches
66. Man in the Holocene: A Story
67. 84, Charing Cross Road

message 2: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments Wishing you a great time getting to 60 in the new year

message 3: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 5090 comments Oh, a very modest goal, indeed!

message 4: by Regina (last edited Dec 17, 2018 10:38PM) (new)

Regina Lemoine | 482 comments Thanks, Kristin. My overall goal is to read from my own shelves as much as possible. My partner and I have a pretty substantial library and between his books and mine, there are literally hundreds of books here that I haven’t read.

Some specific books I want to get to are The Waves and The Years by Virginia Woolf and The Hamlet, The Town, and The Mansion by Faulkner. I also plan to try Infinite Jest again, hoping the third time’s the charm! I’m also making my way through the novels of Don DeLillo and David Mitchell.

I will also be continuing my reread of Proust and Ruth Rendell’s Inspector Wexford series, in addition to rereading some Agatha Christie. Oh, and a couple of Bronte novels. I’m not sure I’ll be able to finish their novels next year, but I’d like to put a dent in them, at least.

I always set my goodreads goal at 50-60 books and usually end up reading 80-90. I am kind of aiming for 100 this year, but I’m not at all bothered if I don’t make it to that number.

message 5: by Regina (new)

Regina Lemoine | 482 comments Blagica wrote: "Wishing you a great time getting to 60 in the new year"

Thank you!

message 6: by Regina (new)

Regina Lemoine | 482 comments oshizu wrote: "Oh, a very modest goal, indeed!"

I see you’ve set your goal at 80. I bet you’ll meet that pretty easily!

message 7: by Regina (new)

Regina Lemoine | 482 comments I’d be happy to read Wuthering Heights with you. I’ve read it once and wasn’t crazy about it, but I want to give it another chance. I think on my third read of Mrs Dalloway it became one of my all-time favorites, so I am not averse to revisiting books. I’m pretty open as far as when we read it, so just let me know what works for you.

My high school was the same way. I read very few classics during that time. My degree is in British Lit, though, so I’ve read a lot since!

message 8: by Regina (last edited Dec 19, 2018 08:43AM) (new)

Regina Lemoine | 482 comments I haven't been teaching, but I'm going to try to pick up a couple classes to teach next fall.

After my divorce, I decided to go back to school for an English degree, mainly because I love reading so much. While doing my undergrad degree, I just found that I much preferred English and Irish literature over American Lit (though I enjoy African-American Lit and the Southern Gothic), so I decided to pursue that for my Master's. My main area of interest is the modernists (Forster, Woolf, Joyce, Eliot,etc) and I adore British Lit set between the wars. I also love 18th century lit and Chaucer. I'm interested in non-British modernists like Faulkner and Thomas Mann, as well. I also enjoy Latin American and contemporary Japanese Lit in translation.

The one area I have not read a whole lot in is the Victorian period, I kind of skip from Austen to the modernists, with occasional forays into Victorian Lit. I am not a fan of Dickens, so there's that.

I'm actually a pretty eclectic reader. I recently discovered China Mieville and I find his work fascinating. Same with David Mitchell. I am a selective reader of murder mysteries and dip my toe into Sci-fi and speculative fiction from time to time. I'm not a fan of romance or "chick-lit." Anyway, I'll wrap this up because I could ramble on all day about what I like. What do you like?

message 9: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments Doing great keep up the great reading!

message 10: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12014 comments You have read some very interesting books this year. Keep up the great reading! Congratulations on completing your goal.

message 11: by Regina (new)

Regina Lemoine | 482 comments I’m not sure I’ll get to 75. We’ll see. I won’t rush my reading just to hit a number goal.