Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2019 > Fantasy - January 2019

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 6035 comments Mod
The group voted to read the Fantasy nominee, The Shape of Water, in January. The winner for this genre was Circe. Have you read any of the other nominees for this award? Which have you read and what did you think? Which was your favorite?

Do you plan to read any of them in the future? How about setting up a buddy read of one that you are interested in this month? Use this thread to discuss and find a buddy!

Schedule buddy reads here, then set up a separate thread to discuss.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Additional nominees:
Age of War (The Legends of the First Empire #3)
Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children #3)
Bloody Rose (The Band #2)
Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega #5)
Foundryside (Founders #1)
Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor #2)
High Voltage (Fever #10)
Iron and Magic (The Iron Covenant #1)
Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels #10)
Senlin Ascends (The Books of Babel #1)
Spinning Silver
The Book of M
The Girl in the Tower (Winternight Trilogy #2)
The Land: Predators (Chaos Seeds #7)
The Poppy War (The Poppy War #1)
Time's Convert (All Souls Trilogy Companion)
Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder #2)
Year One (Chronicles of The One #1)

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

As of right now, I plan to read the winner, Circe, and our group choice, The Shape of Water. Other than those two, I think I may read Beneath the Sugar Sky, but that is the only other one on my radar.

message 4: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 103 comments I am interested in Year One, but I don't know when I'll get around to reading it.

I have read: Magic Triumphs, Iron and Magic, Burns Bright, and Beneath the Sugar Sky.

message 5: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I'm interested in Spinning Silver, The Poppy War and Grey Sister (assuming I like Red Sister which I have yet to read). I love Nora Roberts every now and then, so maybe Year One. It sounds more like Science Fiction to me though (and probably is nothing but Romance as usual ;) ).
Definitely Foundryside. The City of Stairs series is awesome, so I want to give this a try for sure.

Circe was wonderful. I'm not sure Fantasy is the right category for it, but it's certainly worth reading in my opinion. (The audiobook is fantastic !!! .. I'd highly recommend listening to this one. Pretty much the best narrator for a story I've encountered so far.)

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Oh, I missed that one. I have Year One on my TBR too.

message 7: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 19 comments I want to read the books before Bloody Rose (The Band #2) and Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor #2). I would also like to start the Kate Daniels series one of these days. The Poppy War looks good too.

message 8: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 92 comments I really want to read The Poppy War, Grey Sister and The Book of M.

I've read Beneath the Sugar Sky, Foundryside and The Girl in the Tower and loved them all. I also read The Shape of Water and thought it was okay, I didn't connect with the characters as much as I would've liked.

message 9: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2044 comments Mod
This is one of my favorite genre so needless to say I'm excited about many of them.

I'm interested in: Foundryside (Founders, #1) by Robert Jackson Bennett , The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1) by R.F. Kuang , Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1) by Nora Roberts , Circe by Madeline Miller (I'm not too interested by this kind of subject but I'll still check it out) and Age of War (The Legends of the First Empire, #3) by Michael J. Sullivan (I will have to read the first two volumes first)

I'm super excited about Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik

I will most probably keep reading the book of the ancestor series: Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2) by Mark Lawrence

I'm not too sure about the winternight trilogy. Ratings are incredible but I don't know why, it doesn't appeal to me.

message 10: by Persephone6 (last edited Dec 17, 2018 06:15PM) (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments I want to read both The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1) by R.F. Kuang and Circe by Madeline Miller as well!

message 11: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 2 comments I just finished Spinning Silver. I highly recommend it.

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Courtney, did you read Uprooted? If so, what did you think of it. I'm thinking that Uprooted and Spinning Silver would be pretty similar style wise. I felt that Uprooted was a bit long winded at times.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael (mlddia) | 1 comments Hi Courtney, Yes I did read Uprooted, although it has been some time ago. I see that I posted it last February, but I actually read it before that time. I was no overwhelmed with the book. I have done much genealogy on my family and I was looking for more "cause and effect" of why my ancestors came to America. My family arrived in the late 1600s and the time period covered in the book seemed later. I tired of the book before I finished. Perhaps it is just me and I missed the purpose and the message of the book. Mike

message 14: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments I'm going to read Circe, and I'm really excited its not a book in a series (because fantasy almost always is).
Also going to try The Shape of Water with the group (but I have a feeling its going to be ridiculous). I like epic fantasy, not usually romance based fantasy.
Future reads include: Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1) by Nora Roberts The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1) by R.F. Kuang Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2) by Mark Lawrence Age of War (The Legends of the First Empire, #3) by Michael J. Sullivan
But, I will wait until their series are completed.

message 15: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Savanes wrote: "I'm not too sure about the winternight trilogy. Ratings are incredible but I don't know why, it doesn't appeal to me. ."

Savanes - it doesn't appeal to me either!!!! I'm glad I'm not alone! I love this genre, but for some reason (no matter how high the ratings) this one doesn't do it for me either!

message 16: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ wrote: "Savanes wrote: "I'm not too sure about the winternight trilogy. Ratings are incredible but I don't know why, it doesn't appeal to me. ."

Savanes - it doesn't appeal to me either!!!! I'm glad I'm n..."

Yes! I feel less like an outcast.

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Not at all, Savanes! I have no interest in that series either.

message 18: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 137 comments Me either, actually. It didn't look that good.

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris I tried to read the winternight series - couldn't get past about the first third of the first book. So its not a go to read for me also.
I wish when voting starts that series books unless its the first one would not be entered into the votes. Its unfair to have to read all the whole series to get to book 3 or 4. Just an observation not a complaint.
Circe is an excellent read but not your usual take on mythology.
Shape of Water is totally fantasy...its well written but think it would have been better as a graphic novel.

message 20: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 865 comments I think it would be good to have a SERIES catagory. That makes sense to me. Then people could also see what series are popular and they might want to start a new one, regardless of genre. Plus, once you get like in the 40's of a series (thinking of JD Robb), so few people have probably stuck with it that long, it has NO chance of winning in a regular catagory

message 21: by Judy (new)

Judy Robertson | 104 comments The sucky part about a series is it spends the first four chapters reviewing crap that you already know. I guess for people who may not have read the others. I find this a waste of time and annoying.

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I get frustrated with that as well, Judy, particularly if it’s basically an info dump. Occasionally, you run into an author who’s really good at it and can blend just what’s needed into the story.

message 23: by Judy (new)

Judy Robertson | 104 comments Koontz seems to do a pretty good job. I got interested in the “Odd” series and the explanations are built into the story, making them mildly annoying instead of head spinning. Maybe I’m just an anal purist. I can’t read a series without going to the beginning no matter how many books are out, and I’m annoyed at others who don’t? Actually I think that makes me arrogant 😂 oops .This does prevent me from reading any of the “JD Robb” books since they go to 180 (mild sarcasm). I guess Ms. Roberts is too prolific for me, but I digress. I’m usually thrilled to get the next book in the series if I’m hooked, so I guess this is just me venting. Lol

message 24: by Thereadingbell (new)

Thereadingbell | 296 comments I think Patricia Cornwell does a good job in her Kay Scarpetta series. You can read them out of order if you did not know better. I did that and went back and got her earlier books and then read them in order. I usually stray away from series if I am not familiar with the author. I rather start from the beginning.

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Judy, that’s exactly the series I was thinking of as far as doing a good job.

message 26: by Judy (new)

Judy Robertson | 104 comments Kristie that made me laugh 😊. Great minds....

message 27: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

The recap can be useful sometimes though. Especially when subsequent volumes are released several years after the first book.