Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2019 > Best of the Best - January 2019

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5881 comments Mod
The group voted to read the Best of the Best nominee, Little Fires Everywhere, in January. The winner for this genre was The Hate U Give. Have you read any of the other nominees for this award? Which have you read and what did you think? Which was your favorite?

Do you plan to read any of them in the future? How about setting up a buddy read of one that you are interested in this month? Use this thread to discuss and find a buddy!

Schedule buddy reads here, then set up a separate thread to discuss.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Dec 11, 2018 08:40AM) (new)

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris I have only a few on the list I have not read:
Court of Thorns books
Throne of Glass book
It Ends With Us
and
All the Bright Places - the latter two are the ones I want to read.

message 5: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I have read all of those except for The Help which I probably would have read by now had I not already watched the movie. Some of those books are truly amazing in my opinion. Others not so much.

Did they really have 3 books by Sarah Maas on that list? Two from the same series? That would be completely ridiculous. Especially since her books are kind of shallow/flat and while the series tend to start good, they then quickly progress to being just a long dragged out process that makes you stop even caring how they end ... I loved A Court of Mist and Fury, but the next one .. A Court of Wings and Ruins was really abysmally bad (unless you're into some strangely conservative and boring & repetitive not-quite YA sex scenes evoking the mating of animals which make up pretty much the entire plot of that book. Sorry for that spoiler.) Ugh. Really?

I did love The Martian. And 11/22/63 is one of the few SK books that I found quite satisfying to read. Red Rising is a fantastic series (though also not able to keep up the quality throughout).

message 6: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 822 comments I have read 14 of the books on the list already. The one I am most interested in reading is Red Rising.

message 7: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2012 comments Mod
Vicki Willis wrote: "I have read 14 of the books on the list already. The one I am most interested in reading is Red Rising."

I loved red rising and the remaining of the series.

I read 14 books of the list. I still want to read All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven and Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell .

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

All the Bright Places was really good, Savanes. I would recommend it.

Marythios (AkaSusanne ) | 296 comments I want to read the help and gone girl. I also will read the hate you give as well as little fires everywhere with the group. I already read Eleanor and Park. The series books for me right now is to much to read to catch up on the series. I will though read series that is part of the group reads. I wanted to also say that reading has brought so much joy and life back into my life. I am a disabled veteran and I am retired. I cannot do much anymore so fun for me is limited. Reading fills so much void in my life and it keeps me on my toes. I am so thankful for this group.

message 10: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4048 comments Mod
Aw thanks for that Susanne. Reading is such a wonderful things and I'm glad this place helps :)

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Dec 29, 2018 12:51PM) (new)

We’re glad you found us, Susanne! Looking forward to reading some of those with you.

message 12: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 822 comments Glad you found this group Susanne. It is definitely a fun one and full of great people!

message 13: by Savanes, Moderator (new)

Savanes | 2012 comments Mod
Reading can bring so much! I'm so sad for people who don't read... They are missing out. Anyways, I'm glad you're enjoying the group. We're happy to have you. :)

message 14: by Persephone6 (new)

Persephone6 (psychebooks) | 136 comments This is a really fun group Susanne; I'm happy you are reading with us!