Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Leni's 2019 Classics Bingo

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leni (last edited Apr 28, 2019 02:31PM) (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments ✓B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic - Vathek***
B2: Book Chosen by the Cover
B3: European Classic
✓B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List - Wide Sargasso Sea****
✓B5: 20th Century Classic - Howards End***

I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019
✓I2: New-to-You Author - Housekeeping *** 1/2
I3: Classic Play
✓I4: Literary Prize of Your Country - Tante Ulrikkes vei*****
I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year

✓N1: South American Classic - Ficciones*****
N2: Short Story Collection
N3: FREE SPACE
N4: Poetry or Essay Collection
N5: Asian Classic

✓G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize - Frankenstein in Baghdad****
✓G2: Classic By a Female Author - Anne of Avonlea****
G3: Classic Non-fiction
G4: Written by Nobel Laureate
✓G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf - Chess Story****

O1: 19th Century Classic
✓O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy - Foundation***
O3: Classic Comedy or Satire
O4: Classic Romance
✓O5: 21st Century Potential Classic - Half of a Yellow Sun*****

message 2: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments I consider Classics Bingo to be a low-stress challenge, so I'll join again. For 2018 I am 3 squares short of blackout without actually reading anything specifically just for the bingo. And that's how I'll roll in 2019 as well. Just add books as I read them and see how far I get. No planning. Although obviously I better check what books are on the Telegraph 100 list.

message 3: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments 'Telegraph 100' books that I might very well read in 2019:

Midnight's Children
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Wide Sargasso Sea
The Golden Notebook
Doctor Zhivago
Nausea
The Great Gatsby
The Warden
Suite Francaise

Some of those are books I meant to read in 2018, so I should manage at least one of them in 2019. lol

message 4: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Sounds just like me! I have lots of books I didn’t get to this year, but I’m optimistic for 2019. Bingo mostly fills itself, so at least it’s less stress than the other challenges. Good luck!

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9434 comments Mod
Welcome to the low-stress challenge Leni. I'm glad to see you ready to go.

message 6: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments Mid-March. Four squares so far.

B1 - Vathek by William Beckford manages to belong to the 18th Century by just a few years.
B5 - Howards End by E.M. Forster is a 20th Century Classic.
G2 - Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2) by L.M. Montgomery is a Classic by a Female Author
and
G5 - Chess Story by Stefan Zweig is from the group's 2019 bookshelf.

Immediate plans: I'm currently reading Ficciones which will give me N1 - South American Classic. I'm also slowly working my way through The Journey to the West, Volume 1 which is practically the definition of N5 - Asian Classic. I have Eugene Onegin out from the library, in the misguided notion that I will find the time to read it during the group read this month. That will give me B4 - Telegraph 100.
And my 8 year old and I will be reading A Wrinkle in Time in the next couple of months, which will do for I1 - Pre-2019 Group shelf. Foundation is coming up for O2 - Classic SFF. And I'm sure a few of the other categories will fall into my lap too.

message 7: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Good luck with 'Journey to the West', Leni. That was my 2018 long read project, and while I learned a great deal, I was glad to finally leave it behind me. It also motivated me to tackle 'The Story of the Stone' as a comparatively "recent" Chinese classic this year, which is working out as my work for the Telegraph task.

message 8: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments Aubrey wrote: "Good luck with 'Journey to the West', Leni. That was my 2018 long read project, and while I learned a great deal, I was glad to finally leave it behind me. It also motivated me to tackle 'The Story..."

Thanks. I'm buddy reading it with the man spouse who is a big fan of the old Monkey tv-series. It helps to have a reading buddy. We're hoping to get through all four volumes this year, but we go one volume at the time.

message 9: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments I4 - I have selected Norway as my country this time. I'm still a citizen there, I only live in the UK. And I read Brit Lit all the time, so it was nice to see what's stirring in Norway these days.
Tante Ulrikkes vei by Zeshan Shakar won the Tarjei Vesaas Debutantpris, in 2017 and it was an absolutely excellent read.

G1 - Foreign Literary Prize: I've gone with the International Prize for Arabic Fiction winner from 2014: Frankenstein in Baghdad by Ahmed Saadawi which I thought was a good an innovative re-imagining.

N1 - South-American Classic: Ficciones by Jorge Luis Borges
Extremely dense short stories of speculative fiction. Loved them. This has been a good month. (And still a week to go!)

message 10: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 391 comments I have got to get cracking on Ficciones. Maybe I should fill this in for my short story collection instead of the works of John Cheever.

message 11: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3797 comments Oh, I loved Ficciones too, Leni. I've been meaning to read more by him. Hope your great reading month continues!

message 12: by Leni (last edited Apr 01, 2019 01:54AM) (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments I thought O5 would be difficult. Hard to predict what will become a classic. But I firmly believe Half of a Yellow Sun will stand the test of time.

I hope my good reading fortune continues in April!

message 13: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Leni wrote: "I thought O5 would be difficult. Hard to predict what will become a classic. But I firmly believe Half of a Yellow Sun will stand the test of time.

I hope my good reading fortune c..."

That's a great book. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Leni. Have you read any other Adichie?

message 14: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments Aubrey wrote: "That's a great book. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Leni. Have you read any other Adichie?.."

I recently read Americanah which I also liked, but I think Half of a Yellow Sun is even better. I think I expected Americanah to be more about the return to Nigeria, but it was mostly about being Nigerian in America, or rather being a non-American Black Person in America. There were a lot of interesting insights, and I was horrified to learn what damage is done to their hair to give it a "white" style. I gave it 4 stars, and think it should probably be required reading in American high schools. But I think Half of a Yellow Sun is the better book. The characters, the composition, the impact, everything.

message 15: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1220 comments Uploading in bulk here, so to speak. April books that fit Bingo categories:

B4 - Telegraph 100: Wide Sargasso Sea

I1 - New to me author. I've read a few that could fit here, but I'll go with Marilynne Robinson and Housekeeping since that's a book and author where I had only heard the name and had no idea what to expect.

O2 - Classic Sci-Fi: Foundation

Of these three I liked Wide Sargasso Sea the best. Foundation I liked enough that I'll read book two and three in the series (since I already own them, and since I hear the series gets better). Housekeeping I couldn't quite connect with, but somehow it lingers in the corners of my mind. I might have to seek out more books by that author.

Currently finishing up Love in the Time of Cholera, and I think I might put that in South American Classic, and move Ficciones to short stories.

message 16: by Newly (new)

Newly Wardell | 180 comments leni how was journey to the west? I really wanted to read it or water margin.