Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2019 Plans > entropia's plan for world dominance

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments Early draft of my plans, so far only for January, comments and suggestions are encouraged.

JANUARY

A book that was nominated for or won an award in a genre you enjoy: I was thinking about Lód by Jacek Dukaj, but it's long and I don't own it, if I fail to find it at affordable price, I will probably go for either Krew elfów by Andrzej Sapkowski or Gniazdo światów by Marek S. Huberath
A book with a criminal character (i.e. assassin, pirate, thief, robber, scoundrel etc) : it's a stretch imho, but I really want to read this as soon as possible - The Twelve Chairs by Ilya Ilf
A book where the author’s name contains A, T, and Y : for now, Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar
A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, What, Where, When, Why): This is tough one, I got this in my recommendations - When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger, but I think I shouldn't trust GR after it recommended me Resident Evil, because I read Emil Cioran >shrugs<

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2854 comments I love the title of your plan 😂

Are you from Poland? It would be great to discover new authors thanks to you!

I also have Memoirs of Hadrian on my list but I can't find it on ebook at the library. I'll have to wait till I finish my travels in a few months to go get an paper copy instead.

Haha some GR recommendations are a bit weird. Don't you have anything in your TBR? Don't hesitate to head to the weekly topics for recommendations from other members!

message 3: by Entropia (last edited Dec 11, 2018 10:32AM) (new)

Entropia | 280 comments Sophie wrote: "I love the title of your plan 😂
thank you :3

Are you from Poland? It would be great to discover new authors thanks to you!

Yeah, I'm Polish, currently living in Armenia.

Haha some GR recommendations are a bit weird. Don't you have anything in your TBR?

I didn't have anything in TBR for that particular part of challenge. Some time after I posted I remembered to look at wishlist on some other book sites, I used in past and found The Tell-Tale Brain: A Neuroscientist's Quest for What Makes Us Human by V.S. Ramachandran, which fits criteria too and I might like reading it more :)

message 4: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments I reached some clarity about first month + I'm adding picks for february

JANUARY

Week 1
A book with a criminal character (i.e. assassin, pirate, thief, robber, scoundrel etc) : The Twelve Chairs by Ilya Ilf
Week 2
A book that was nominated for or won an award in a genre you enjoy: Gniazdo światów by Marek S. Huberath
Week 3
A book where the author’s name contains A, T, and Y : Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar
A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, What, Where, When, Why): When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger or The Tell-Tale Brain: A Neuroscientist's Quest for What Makes Us Human by V.S. Ramachandran depends what I will feel more like reading.

February

Week 1
A book with a dual timeline: Przypadki inżyniera ludzkich dusz by Josef Škvorecký
Week 2
A book by Shakespeare or inspired by Shakespeare: Coriolanus by William Shakespeare
Week 3 & 4
2 books related to the same topic, genre, or theme:
Krew elfów by Andrzej Sapkowski
Czas pogardy by Andrzej Sapkowski

message 5: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 837 comments I have just read through The Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski. They are so good! Enjoy!

message 6: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments I so far had mixed experience with Sapkowski's work, but I haven't started main Witcher series yet, so I hope for the best :)

message 7: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments I figured more or less March's picks

MARCH

Week 1
A book from one of the top 5 money making genres (romance/erotica, crime/mystery, religious/inspirational, science fiction/fantasy or horror): Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky
Week 2
A book featuring an historical figure : I decided to reread I, Claudius by Robert Graves, I've read it ages ago and loved, but hardly remember it now. I wonder if older me will still like it as much.
Week 3
A book related to one of the 12 Zodiac Chinese Animals (title, cover, subject): Life and Death are Wearing Me Out by Mo Yan
Week 4
A book about reading, books or an author/writer: The Lime Works by Thomas Bernhard

message 8: by Entropia (last edited Feb 28, 2019 03:58AM) (new)

Entropia | 280 comments APRIL

Week 1
A book that is included on a New York Public Library Staff Picks list: A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny
Week 2
A book with a title, subtitle or cover relating to an astronomical term : The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Week 3
A book by an author from a Mediterranean country or set in a Mediterranean country: The Tenant by Roland Topor
Week 4
A book told from multiple perspectives Wieża Jaskółki by Andrzej Sapkowski
Week 5
A speculative fiction (i.e. fantasy, scifi, horror, dystopia): Inne Pieśni by Jacek Dukaj

message 9: by Entropia (last edited May 08, 2019 04:59AM) (new)

Entropia | 280 comments MAY

Week 1
A book related to one of the elements on the periodic table of elements : Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan (show was ok)
Week 2
A book by an author who has more than one book on your TBR: Perfekcyjna niedoskonałość by Jacek Dukaj
Week 3
A book featuring indigenous people of a country Beneath the Mother Tree by D.M. Cameron
Week 4
A book from one of the polarizing or close call votes - A book related to Arthurian legend: Pani Jeziora by Andrzej Sapkowski

message 10: by Entropia (last edited May 23, 2019 06:03PM) (new)

Entropia | 280 comments APRIL
Week 1
A book with a number in the title or on the cover: Metro 2034 by Dmitry Glukhovsky
Week 2
4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #1 Something Old: The Republic by Plato
Week 3
4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #2 Something New: All Systems Red by Martha Wells
Week 4
4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #3 Something Borrowed : Narrenturm by Andrzej Sapkowski

message 11: by Entropia (last edited Jun 12, 2019 10:02AM) (new)

Entropia | 280 comments I realized I will not be probably reading in order, so here is just the rest of list which I will be updating when I come up with something ;) I managed to read two books so far for the challange, it was quite difficult due to my last 2 weeks being really busy.

4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #4 Something Blue: Frost by Thomas Bernhard
A book off of the 1001 books to read before you die list Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
A book related to something cold (i.e. theme, title, author, cover, etc.) Lód by Jacek Dukaj
A book published before 1950 The Waste Books by Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
A book featuring an elderly character
The Magus by John Fowles

A children’s classic you’ve never read
A book with more than 500 pages Rękopis znaleziony w Saragossie byJan Potocki
A book you have owned for at least a year, but have not read yet Game Programming Patterns by Robert Nystrom
A book with a person's name in the title: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams

A psychological thriller The Collector by John Fowles
A book featured on an NPR Best Books of the Year list The Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio De Maria
A book set in a school or university Vita Nostra by Marina Dyachenko
A book not written in traditional novel format (poetry, essay, epistolary, graphic novel, etc) Augustus by John Williams

A book with a strong sense of place or where the author brings the location/setting to life Toast za przodków by Wojciech Górecki
A book you stumbled upon
A book from the 2018 GR Choice Awards Circe by Madeline Miller
A book with a monster or "monstrous" character
A book related to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) [fiction or nonfiction] How to Invent Everything: A Survival Guide for the Stranded Time Traveller by Ryan North

A book related in some way to a tv show/series or movie you enjoyed (same topic, same era, book appeared in the show/movie, etc.) Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey
A multi-generational saga Extensa by Jacek Dukaj
A book with a (mostly) black cover Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang
A book related to food (i.e. title, cover, plot, etc.) A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

A book that was a finalist or winner for the National Book Award for any year Flights by Olga Tokarczuk
A book written by a Far East Asian author or set in a Far East Asian country Invisible Planets: Contemporary Chinese Science Fiction in Translation
A book that includes a journey (physical, health, or spiritual) Arabia Felix: The Danish Expedition of 1761-1767 by Thorkild Hansen
A book published in 2019
A book with a weird or intriguing title What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe

message 12: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1354 comments Love the name of your list.

message 13: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments Anastasia wrote: "Love the name of your list."

message 14: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments I read 5 books so far, here are derpy reviews:
A book with a criminal character (i.e. assassin, pirate, thief, robber, scoundrel etc):
The Twelve Chairs
A book that was nominated for or won an award in a genre you enjoy: Nest of Worlds
A book related to something cold (i.e. theme, title, author, cover, etc.): Lód (Ice)
A book not written in traditional novel format (poetry, essay, epistolary, graphic novel, etc): Augustus
A book with a person's name in the title: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

message 15: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments Not feeling like writing reviews, but here's list of what I got down so far since last update + short comments:
A book with more than 500 pages
Rękopis znaleziony w Saragossie 1/5 - ugh, my biggest dissapointment so far - despite initially enjoying it (because at first it was mysterious), after a while I had to use all my willpower to finish it. The form of nested stories was quite interesting, but everyone tells their stories in the exact same manner, which is quite infuriating to me. And the philosophizing parts were just dire.
Krew elfów 4/5 stars - first part of the core Witcher saga, I liked it quite a lot
Czas pogardy 3/5 stars - liked bit less than previous part. I've read Chrzest Ognia (2/5) out of challenge after, I feel like quality is dropping with each book, but I guess I will read last two at some point this year.
A book from one of the top 5 money making genres (romance/erotica, crime/mystery, religious/inspirational, science fiction/fantasy or horror)
Metro 2033 5/5 - I didn't expect much from it, but I enjoyed a ride so much that couldn't help but giving it five stars. The worldbuilding is bit wonky, imho, but it has a lot of delicious creepiness and surprisingly philosophizing done right. I read it in polish, 'cause I think slavic languages translate better to other slavic languages. )
A psychological thriller
The Collector 3/5 - I'm too disturbed for now to write about it.

message 16: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments Books I read in March:
A book featuring an elderly character The Magus - 3 stars
A book with a (mostly) black cover Stories of Your Life and Others - 3 stars
4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #2 Something New: All Systems Red - 2 stars
A speculative fiction (i.e. fantasy, scifi, horror, dystopia): Inne Pieśni - 4 stars
A book with a title, subtitle or cover relating to an astronomical term: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2 stars, my review
A book with a strong sense of place or where the author brings the location/setting to life Toast za przodków - 2 stars, my review

message 17: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments April Books :3

A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, What, Where, When, Why): The Tell-Tale Brain: A Neuroscientist's Quest for What Makes Us Human - 4 stars
A book from the 2018 GR Choice Awards: Circe - 3 stars
A book told from multiple perspectives: Wieża Jaskółki - 3 stars
A book written by a Far East Asian author or set in a Far East Asian country: Invisible Planets: Contemporary Chinese Science Fiction in Translation - 2 stars

message 18: by Entropia (last edited Jun 01, 2019 10:04AM) (new)

Entropia | 280 comments another month passed :) Here are prompts I completed in May:
A book related in some way to a tv show/series or movie you enjoyed (same topic, same era, book appeared in the show/movie, etc.): Leviathan Wakes - 2 stars
A book with a weird or intriguing title: What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions - 3 stars
A book from one of the polarizing or close call votes - A book related to Arthurian legend: Pani Jeziora - 2 stars
A book by an author who has more than one book on your TBR: Perfekcyjna niedoskonałość - 4 stars
A book set in a school or university: Vita Nostra - 4 stars
A book with a number in the title or on the cover:Metro 2034 - 1 star

message 19: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments up, I forgot to add two books to the list ;)

message 20: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments June finished books update. I switched "A book with dual timeline", because The Engineer of Human Souls that I initially wanted to read for that prompt, was really boring for me and I dropped reading it.

A multi-generational saga: Extensa 5 stars
A book you have owned for at least a year, but have not read yet: Game Programming Patterns 4 stars
A book with a dual timeline: Wieczny Grunwald. Powieść zza końca czasów 4 stars
A book that was a finalist or winner for the National Book Award for any year Bieguni 4 stars

message 21: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments As the new month is upon us, I'm listing as usual books I read for the challenge:

A book you stumbled upon:
Human Errors: A Panorama of Our Glitches, from Pointless Bones to Broken Genes - 4 stars, I wish it was longer.

A book related to one of 12 Chinese zodiac animals:
Life and Death are Wearing Me Out - 1 star, ugh, if not for the fact that I was too lazy to find substitute I'd drop this.

New York Public Library staff pick:
A Night in the Lonesome October - 2 stars, just meh.

NPR Best Books of the Year:
Freshwater - 5 stars

Book related to food:
A Clockwork Orange - 3 stars

message 22: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments I haven't been here in a while. Last two months were quite busy for me, first I got sick, then I had a lot of work, and when I finally got some free time, I felt more like playing games than reading (especially since I got gifted Pathologic 2, which is soooo good). In any case I've only read two books during that time:

A book by Shakespeare or inspired by ShakespeareCoriolanus - 2 stars

A book published in 2019 Patolodzy. Panie doktorze, czy to rak? - 5 stars

As a result from being 4-5 books ahead, I'm now one book behind, and I'm quite worried that I will fail the challenge. Especially since now most of books left are not ones that I'm very excited for.
I will probably finish my reread of I, Claudius today or tomorrow. (Oh dear, it's only half as good as I remembered it :O)

message 23: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments As usual I'm posting update on my monthly progress. I tried to catch up with ATY as much as I could.

A book featuring an historical figure I, Claudius - 3 stars
A book by an author from a Mediterranean country or set in a Mediterranean country The Tenant - 3 stars, I liked it but there were couple of things that really irked me.
A book related to STEM QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter - 5 stars
A book off of the 1001 books to read before you die list Slaughterhouse-Five - 3 stars
A book about reading, books or an author/writer The Twenty Days of Turin - 4 stars
A children’s classic you’ve never read Tales - 4 stars (I would give it 4.5 if there was an option); I really had trouble coming up with something for this prompt, as I wasn't very keen on reading children's classic I skipped as a kid, and then it hit me that I could just finish reading collection of Armenian fairy tales we have at home (which are very entertaining, full of con-artists and weirdness), instead of limiting myself to my cultural circle :)
Something Borrowed - Narrenturm - 4 stars, gotta find time to read rest of trilogy, I liked it much more than I liked Witcher, despite it having really dumb main character.
A book published before 1950 Claudius the God and His Wife Messalina - 3 stars, I wasn't sure I wanted to reread second part, after realizing the first one wasn't as good as I remember it, but my ocd was nagging me and I ended up rereading this one too.
Something Blue Zwrotnice dziejów. Alternatywne historie Polski - 4 stars, I took some liberties with interpreting this prompt, but reading about my nation's past fuckups makes me feel various emotions and feeling blue is one of them. (others include frustration, amusement, second-hand embarrassment)

Apart from that I tried to read Beneath the Mother Tree for indigenous people prompt, but I dnf'ed it at 47% and used wildcard for that prompt and inserted there short story I read earlier this year. I also tried to read Memoirs of Hadrian for ATY letters in author's name, but I've quit at 19%. Thankfully I have couple of alternative options for that prompt.

message 24: by Entropia (last edited Nov 14, 2019 06:31AM) (new)

Entropia | 280 comments I'm finally done! :D

entropia's ATY 2019 - final list

A book that was nominated for or won an award in a genre you enjoy: Gniazdo światów by Marek S. Huberath ★★★★
A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, What, Where, When, Why): The Tell-Tale Brain: A Neuroscientist's Quest for What Makes Us Human by V.S. Ramachandran ★★★★
A book where the author’s name contains A, T, and Y: Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky, Boris Strugatsky ★★★★
A book with a criminal character (i.e. assassin, pirate, thief, robber, scoundrel etc): The Twelve Chairs by Ilya Ilf, Eugene Petrov ★★★
A book by Shakespeare or inspired by Shakespeare: Coriolanus by William Shakespeare ★★
A book with a dual timeline: Wieczny Grunwald. Powieść zza końca czasów by Szczepan Twardoch ★★★★
Krew elfów by Andrzej Sapkowski ★★★★
Czas pogardy by Andrzej Sapkowski ★★★
A book from one of the top 5 money making genres (romance/erotica, crime/mystery, religious/inspirational, science fiction/fantasy or horror): Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky ★★★★★
A book featuring an historical figure: I, Claudius by Robert Graves ★★★
A book related to one of the 12 Zodiac Chinese Animals (title, cover, subject): Life and Death are Wearing Me Out by Mo Yan ★
A book about reading, books or an author/writer: The Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio De Maria ★★★★
A book that is included on a New York Public Library Staff Picks list: A Night in the Lonesome October by Roger Zelazny ★★
A book with a title, subtitle or cover relating to an astronomical term: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams ★★
A book by an author from a Mediterranean country or set in a Mediterranean country: The Tenant by Roland Topor ★★★
A book told from multiple perspectives: Wieża Jaskółki by Andrzej Sapkowski ★★★
A speculative fiction (i.e. fantasy, scifi, horror, dystopia): Inne Pieśni by Jacek Dukaj ★★★★★
A book related to one of the elements on the periodic table of elements: Golden Calf by Ilya Ilf, Eugene Petrov ★★
A book by an author who has more than one book on your TBR: Perfekcyjna niedoskonałość by Jacek Dukaj ★★★★
A book featuring indigenous people of a country:(wildcard used here) Sing by Karin Tidbeck ★★★
A book from one of the polarizing or close call votes - A book related to Arthurian legend: Pani Jeziora by Andrzej Sapkowski ★★
A book with a number in the title or on the cover:Metro 2034 by Dmitry Glukhovsky ★
4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #1 Something Old: Apology by Plato ★★
4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #2 Something New: All Systems Red by Martha Wells ★★
4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #3 Something Borrowed: Narrenturm by Andrzej Sapkowski ★★★★
4 books inspired by the wedding rhyme: Book #4 Something Blue: Zwrotnice dziejów. Alternatywne historie Polski by Andrzej Chwalba, Wojciech Harpula ★★★★
A book off of the 1001 books to read before you die list: Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut ★★★
A book related to something cold (i.e. theme, title, author, cover, etc.): Lód by Jacek Dukaj ★★★★★
A book published before 1950: Claudius the God and His Wife Messalina by Robert Graves ★★★
A book featuring an elderly character: The Magus by John Fowles ★★★
A children’s classic you’ve never read: Tales by Hovhannes Tumanyan ★★★★
A book with more than 500 pages: Rękopis znaleziony w Saragossie by Jan Potocki ★
A book you have owned for at least a year, but have not read yet: Game Programming Patterns by Robert Nystorm ★★★★
A book with a person's name in the title: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams ★★★
A psychological thriller: The Collector by John Fowles ★★★
A book featured on an NPR Best Books of the Year list Freshwater by Akwaeke Emezi ★★★★★
A book set in a school or university: Vita Nostra by Marina Dyachenko, Sergey Dyachenko ★★★★
A book not written in traditional novel format (poetry, essay, epistolary, graphic novel, etc): Augustus by John Williams ★★★
A book with a strong sense of place or where the author brings the location/setting to life: Toast za przodków by Wojciech Górecki ★★
A book you stumbled upon: Human Errors: A Panorama of Our Glitches, from Pointless Bones to Broken Genes by Nathan H. Lents ★★★★
A book from the 2018 GR Choice Awards: Circe by Madeline Miller ★★★
A book with a monster or "monstrous" character: What Doctor Gottlieb Saw by Ian Tregillis ★★
A book related to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) : QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter by Richard P. Feynman ★★★★★
A book related in some way to a tv show/series or movie you enjoyed (same topic, same era, book appeared in the show/movie, etc.): Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey ★★
A multi-generational saga: Extensa by Jacek Dukaj ★★★★★
A book with a (mostly) black cover: Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang ★★★
A book related to food (i.e. title, cover, plot, etc.): A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess ★★★
A book that was a finalist or winner for the National Book Award for any year Flights by Olga Tokarczuk ★★★★
A book written by a Far East Asian author or set in a Far East Asian country: Invisible Planets: Contemporary Chinese Science Fiction in Translation by Various Authors ★★
A book that includes a journey (physical, health, or spiritual) : Chrzest ognia by Andrzej Sapkowski ★★
A book published in 2019: Patolodzy. Panie doktorze, czy to rak? by Paulina Łopatniuk ★★★★★
A book with a weird or intriguing title: What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe ★★★

Stats:
Fiction/Nonfiction: 43/9
Female Author/Male Author/Both: 6/44/2
New Author/Repeat Author: 36/16
5 Star/4 Star/3 Star/2 Star/1 Star: 7/14/16/12/3

message 25: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1432 comments Mod
Congrats!

message 26: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments Thanks, Jackie :)

message 27: by Celia (new)

Celia (cinbread19) | 349 comments Congrats on completion... nice thread too

message 28: by Entropia (new)

Entropia | 280 comments Thank you, Celia.