Reading Through the Ages discussion

120 views
Japan Pre-1900

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Dec 11, 2018 06:28AM) (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Share your book titles here and tell us what you are planning to read, for inspiration, please check the group bookshelf (https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...)


message 2: by Anja (new)

Anja | 9 comments Takashi Matsuoka's Cloud of Sparrows has been on my shelf for a decade. Now seems like a good time for it.


message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillglove) | 10 comments Contemplating Silence by Shūsaku Endo.


message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Jill wrote: "Contemplating Silence by Shūsaku Endo."

Gobelina wrote: "Takashi Matsuoka's Cloud of Sparrows has been on my shelf for a decade. Now seems like a good time for it."

Added both books to the bookshelf


message 5: by Britta (new)

Britta Böhler I will buddy-read The Tale of Genji this year, so that fits nicely. :-)


message 6: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (sturnerstuff) | 15 comments Finally going to get to The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet at some stage this year, even though the last review of it by someone I generally align with one starred it. Will be only by 2nd Mitchell book after reading The Cloud Atlas many years ago.


message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Shaun wrote: "Finally going to get to The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet at some stage this year, even though the last review of it by someone I generally align with one starred it. Will be onl..."

I adore that book.


message 8: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Britta wrote: "I will buddy-read The Tale of Genji this year, so that fits nicely. :-)"

Perfect :)


message 9: by Candace (new)

Candace | 6 comments Has any one read Musashi? I’ve been recommended the book because I liked Shogun but it’s on the larger side as well. Supposed to be same-ish story as Shogun but from the Japanese perspective instead


message 10: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
I made a video with Japan recommendations and TBR last week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xezp3...


message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate Howe | 9 comments I just finished Shinju by Laura Joh Rowland. It’s a murder mystery set in 17th century Japan and it was fabulous! I’ll definitely be reading more in in the series.


message 12: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Kate wrote: "I just finished Shinju by Laura Joh Rowland. It’s a murder mystery set in 17th century Japan and it was fabulous! I’ll definitely be reading more in in the series."

oh wow, that sounds good, definitely add that to my TBR


message 13: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) After an impulse buy, I just started Lone Wolf and Cub, the first volume in a manga-series. It's set in the Edo period, and apparently the authors have done loads research to get the historical details right. The opening chapter does promise it to be a romp and a visual stunning work!

I've also had Taiko on my radar for ages, but haven't gotten my hands on a copy yet. Anyone familiar with that work? Would you recommend it?


message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Sanne wrote: "After an impulse buy, I just started Lone Wolf and Cub, the first volume in a manga-series. It's set in the Edo period, and apparently the authors have done loads research to get th..."

oh that sounds good. Is there a film of it? It sounds like the title of an anime movie my daughter wants to watch.


message 15: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) Melanie wrote: "oh that sounds good. Is there a film of it? It sounds like the title of an anime movie my daughter wants to watch. "

I don't know about anime, but the wikipedia page for this series does mention several movie and tv-series adaptions. I don't know whether I'd want to watch a life-action adaption though, as the stories in this manga are rather violent (the main character being an assassin, that's pretty unavoidable)...


message 16: by Nic (new)

Nic (bibliolicious_reads) | 24 comments I forgot to mention last month that I read Shusaku Endo's Silence for this prompt, and very much admired it. It deals with an aspect of history I know little about (Catholic mission in 17th-century Japan), and there's a lot of Dark Night of the Soul going on.


message 17: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Nic wrote: "I forgot to mention last month that I read Shusaku Endo's Silence for this prompt, and very much admired it. It deals with an aspect of history I know little about (Catholic mission in 17th-century..."

Oh good to hear about that, that's still on the list for me to read as well.


message 18: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (bonnie_poole) | 32 comments I just ordered THE THOUSAND AUTUMNS OF JACOB DE ZOUT. I am glad to hear so many of you like the story. I picked the hardcover edition because the cover is so beautiful. I do appreciate a beautiful book, in addition to the story. However, I didn’t realize it was a large print edition. Had I realized this, I might have just gotten the paperback. I do like hardbacks though, so it will be a nice edition to my book collection.


message 19: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 285 comments Mod
Bonnie wrote: "I just ordered THE THOUSAND AUTUMNS OF JACOB DE ZOUT. I am glad to hear so many of you like the story. I picked the hardcover edition because the cover is so beautiful. I do appreciate a beautiful ..."

Ah, you are not alone in the appreciating a beautiful book :)


back to top