Love Inspired Historicals discussion

15 views
Chrsitmas Party-Dec 19-Deck the Halls!

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Ladies, I think we'll keep things simple. We can meet at the "lodge" and bring a treasured Christmas ornament (and its story) and a favorite family holiday recipe and of course the treat or dish itself. We'll begin on Weds Dec 19th and share a cup of kindness too!


message 2: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4952 comments Can't wait


message 3: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Looking forward to this


message 4: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Well, let's get this party started! First of all, I'm going to share my favorite Christmas tree ornaments. Drop by my blog and see a few and read about them. So what are your favorite ones? Please share.
https://booksbylyncote.com/SWBS/perso...


message 5: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments I love all the glass blown ornaments. We had them on our tree when I was growing up. I got my grandparent's ornaments when they passed.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?vi...


message 6: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments I think my favorites ornaments all have a story. I will be in and out as my Uncle is visiting today so we are celebrating Christmas with him.
Lyn,
I love your tree and ornaments that you have shared.


Harlequin Books (harlequinbooks) | 34 comments Lyn, beautiful tree and ornaments. I love the Ziggy one. I haven't seen that image for a long time.

Melinda, I adore the old glass ornaments. Quite the treasure you got from your grandparents.

I'll have to take some pictures of some of my favorite ornaments to share later. I'm about to leave for a few errands. Merry Christmas! ~ Kim


message 8: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments These are the long teardrop glass ornaments. I love to watch the lights off of these.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?vi...


message 9: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
So glad the party is getting started. I was away today--2 appts but I'll drop in again tomorrow to reply and to share some holiday recipes!


message 10: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Shackelford (sherrishackelford) | 169 comments I know it's cliche, but my favorite ornaments are always the ones the kids made. My son made a nativity set out of little terra cotta pots once, and it's my absolute favorite!!! To all the teachers out there who send home laminated pictures on hand-drawn snowflakes - thank you, thank you, thank you! We love putting up the Christmas tree each year and taking a trip down memory lane.


message 11: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Sherri wrote: "I know it's cliche, but my favorite ornaments are always the ones the kids made. My son made a nativity set out of little terra cotta pots once, and it's my absolute favorite!!! To all the teachers..."

Sheri,
My mom still has most of mine that I made in school. They make your tree special.


message 12: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Melinda wrote: "I love all the glass blown ornaments. We had them on our tree when I was growing up. I got my grandparent's ornaments when they passed.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?vi......"


Lovely, Melinda, I have a few from my mother's collection--not too many survived. We always had cats. :-)


message 13: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Melinda wrote: "I think my favorites ornaments all have a story. I will be in and out as my Uncle is visiting today so we are celebrating Christmas with him.
Lyn,
I love your tree and ornaments that you have sha..."


:-)


message 14: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Sherri wrote: "I know it's cliche, but my favorite ornaments are always the ones the kids made. My son made a nativity set out of little terra cotta pots once, and it's my absolute favorite!!! To all the teachers..."

I know what you mean--I still have one from my daughter's pre-school days hanging near me now!


message 15: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Harlequin Books wrote: "Lyn, beautiful tree and ornaments. I love the Ziggy one. I haven't seen that image for a long time.

Melinda, I adore the old glass ornaments. Quite the treasure you got from your grandparents.

Yes, Ziggy--we need more of Ziggy in theee turbulent times!

I'..."



message 16: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Now for family recipes--I'd like to share some family recipes. Here's a link to my blog and a free PDF of 15 LIH authors family recipes and their stories. https://booksbylyncote.com/SWBS/lyn-c...


message 17: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Thanks , Lyn for the recipes. Running to do last minute shopping but will pop in a little later. My favorite cookies were my grandmom's ginger cookies but the recipe does not taste like hers. She said she did not do anything to the recipe but she must have.


message 18: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Melinda wrote: "Thanks , Lyn for the recipes. Running to do last minute shopping but will pop in a little later. My favorite cookies were my grandmom's ginger cookies but the recipe does not taste like hers. She s..."

That's frustrating. You might want to do a recipe search online and see if you get any ideas.


message 19: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Lyn wrote: "Melinda wrote: "Thanks , Lyn for the recipes. Running to do last minute shopping but will pop in a little later. My favorite cookies were my grandmom's ginger cookies but the recipe does not taste ..."
Thanks. that is a good idea.


message 20: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments I always have liked making sugar cookies. We put colored sugar on the cookies to decorate. We always use the recipe from Mom's Betty Crocker cookbook that she got as a wedding present about 56 years ago. I copied a link for the recipe.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...


message 21: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Lyn,
I will catch you at the Sweet reads Romance Party on Facebook as well today. Lyn will be there between 5 and 6 pm Eastern time zone so convert rom there.


message 22: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Melinda wrote: "Lyn,
I will catch you at the Sweet reads Romance Party on Facebook as well today. Lyn will be there between 5 and 6 pm Eastern time zone so convert rom there."


GREAT!


message 23: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Evidently this party came too late in the season. Merry Christmas to you all!


message 24: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Lyn,
This year has been strange and this Fall even more so between sickness and just too much happening so that is probably what happened here. Another group I am part of decided to regroup in January and just ignore doing anything for the holidays.
I enjoyed the pictures of your tree and ornaments. Thank you for trying.
Merry Christmas to all!


message 25: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4952 comments I am so sorry I forgot about the party (well I didn't until it happened) I didn't get a notification in my email like I normally do and forgot to come. Yesterday was extremely busy.


message 26: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4952 comments I think one of my favourite decorations is a Red bird (we use to have several you clip on the branch but only the red one remains) its almost 60 years old. I just love having birds on the tree. I also have some I have collected from trips and been given which I love. One is a cat angel. I also love a bear angel I got from Hawaii, and can't for get the squirrel someone gave me.


message 27: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4952 comments we normally make cookies to give away at Christmas with a cookie press. This year I am just to exhausted to do them but have made lots of walnut and fruit bread. its like almond bread except has walnuts, glace cherries, dried apricots in it. (here is a link to almond bread) https://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe...


message 28: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Ausjenny wrote: "we normally make cookies to give away at Christmas with a cookie press. This year I am just to exhausted to do them but have made lots of walnut and fruit bread. its like almond bread except has wa..."

Sounds yummy, Jenny. And you're forgiven--we're all busy! And I'd love to see your ornaments.
Merry Christmas!!!


message 29: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4952 comments I will try to get a photo of them


message 30: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Missed you Ausjenny. The breads sounds wonderful.
Merry Christmas!


message 31: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Merry Christmas ,everyone!


message 32: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy Clark | 1393 comments I'm so sorry I couldn't make it to this event. I had every intention of doing so, but unexpected holiday house guests coupled with my husband having surgery on his shoulder (he is NOT a good patient :-) ) stole away my good intentions.

A belated Merry Christmas to all. I hope we can get together soon after the New Year celebrations. We could all probably use an R & R event by then--I know I could!


message 33: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Hope all went well with dh's surgery!!


message 34: by Harlequin Books (new)

Harlequin Books (harlequinbooks) | 34 comments Sorry I didn't make it back as I planned. My day sort of exploded around me and I never made it back home until late.

My favorite ornament is the red bulb hanging near the house. When I was a child, every year my family would spend an evening at my Godparent's home. Their children were in their 20's and would always do a craft with us younger kids while our parents gossiped. The first year, before they knew our crafting abilities. :) they wanted each of us to make Christmas bulbs. This is one put together by them. Ours, on the other hand, were the ugliest things you could imagine. My mom wouldn't part them so I don't have a picture to share. They had us start with putting lines of glue on the bulbs and then roll them in glitter. That was their first mistake. LOL. We had a blast though and the memories created are priceless.



message 35: by Megan (new)

Megan Hamsher | 32 comments It still makes me pause: I have 4 trees!
One is ceramic with butterfly lights;
One is a wooden tree that my uncle made;
One is my "old-fashioned" artificial tree, mostly ornaments I inherited from my paternal grandmother - wooden, styrofoam, crocheted....a small number that I made when I was little, a couple were gifts. I didn't do it this year, but I usually use beads as a garland (which were also my paternal grandmother's).
One is my "main" artificial tree ... it has colored lights on it; there are violins, patriotic, manger scenes, cross-stitched, snowman, vacations, birds and wildlife, and Diney characters. Surprised I actually found enough room to put them all on! lol

Cut-outs, gumdrop cookies, peanut-butter kisses, cream wafers....
orange cookies, molasses crinkle cookies, pizelles....
there's also the sugar-free cookie stash.
And can't forget Mrs Sarvy's Icebox Breakfast Cookies.
(My mom was the dough maker and oven master; Dad was the rolling pin master; and I was the cookie cutter master. Dad and I iced all of the cookies that needed icing)

Christmas Eve was Soup Lunch and church in evening.
Christmas Day was long as always - 3 different houses - but a chance to see relatives both near and far together. Lots of yummy food (not all cookies!) as well.


message 36: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Megan wrote: "It still makes me pause: I have 4 trees!
One is ceramic with butterfly lights;
One is a wooden tree that my uncle made;
One is my "old-fashioned" artificial tree, mostly ornaments I inherited from..."


WIW0you really know how to Christmas!


message 37: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
Harlequin Books wrote: "Sorry I didn't make it back as I planned. My day sort of exploded around me and I never made it back home until late.

My favorite ornament is the red bulb hanging near the house. When I was a chi..."


The glitter comment really made me laugh.


message 38: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Dorothy wrote: "I'm so sorry I couldn't make it to this event. I had every intention of doing so, but unexpected holiday house guests coupled with my husband having surgery on his shoulder (he is NOT a good patien..."

Praying for you and your husband for him to make a quick recovery. Missed you but hopefully the group will get together again in a few months.


message 39: by Melinda (new)

Melinda M (researcher707) | 2554 comments Megan wrote: "It still makes me pause: I have 4 trees!
One is ceramic with butterfly lights;
One is a wooden tree that my uncle made;
One is my "old-fashioned" artificial tree, mostly ornaments I inherited from..."


Sounds wonderful.


back to top