You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Chit Chat About Books > Your year in books 2018

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Dec 11, 2018 06:01AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15359 comments As a lover of statistics, I'm curious to hear some bits from your 'Year in Books'. Very hard to miss at the moment, as it basically covers half of my GR homepage.. I'm sure once that gets fixed there will still be a banner.

- At this moment, I read 19.903 pages across 49 books (should go past 20.000, as I'm currently reading 2 books and will read a couple more this month)
- Average book length was 407 pages
- My shortest book was Big Fish with 196 pages, the longest Oathbringer with 1248 pages
- The most popular book (most read by others - not just this year) was The Handmaid's Tale which has been read by 1.093.724 people.
- The least popular book was On the Edge of Darkness, read by 1874 people
- My average rating this year was 3.7 (not bad!)
- The book I read this year with the highest GR rating (4.64) is Oathbringer

message 2: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2543 comments My year in Books:
I read 23,786 pages across 72 books.
- My shortest book was Trying Home: The Rise and Fall of an Anarchist Utopia on Puget Sound with 197 pages, the longest book was The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science with 960 pages.
- The most popular book was Little Fires Everywhere which has been read by 323,984 people.
- The least popular book was Trying Home: The Rise and Fall of an Anarchist Utopia on Puget Sound which has been read by 47 people.
- My average rating was 3.6
-The book I read with the highest GR rating (4.94) was A Day at the Fare: One Woman's Welfare Passage.

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Dec 12, 2018 06:42AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have had a pretty poor reading year, thanks in no small part to the near 5 month long slump I suffered in late spring and through the summer, so my statistics are not the best.

- I have currently read 7892 pages across 23 books (this will go up a bit by the time 2019 rolls around).
- My shortest book was Tin Man with 197 pages, the longest book was The First Man in Rome with 893 pages.
- The most popular book was The Couple Next Door which has been read by 219,198 people.
- The least popular book was Call of the Curlew which has been read by 159 people.
- My average rating was 3.6
- The book I read with the highest GR rating (4.36) was The Tattooist of Auschwitz.

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15359 comments Funny that The Tattooist of Auschwitz ends up being your one with the highest rating Lisa. I know how disappointed your were with it.

At least you still have a pretty good average rating, despite your reading slump :)

message 5: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Dec 11, 2018 06:05AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments I fell short of my Goodreads challenge. I had aimed for 125 books and have finished 110. There's still a couple of weeks left in the year, but I won't be able to finish another 15 books.

- I've read 37,259 pages across 110 books.
- Shortest book was Murder In The Yoga Store at 88 pages. That's the number of pages indicated for Kindle. The paperback edition was 150 pages.
- Longest book was The Dwarves at 736 pages.
- Most popular was The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy with 1,719,306 fellow readers.
- Least popular was To Build a Ship with 67 fellow readers.
- My average rating was 3.6.
- The book I read with the highest GR's rating was Magic Triumphs at 4.41. I gave it 4 stars.

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Dec 11, 2018 07:04AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "Funny that The Tattooist of Auschwitz ends up being your one with the highest rating Lisa. I know how disappointed your were with it.

Lol, tell me about it! Needless to say I was rolling my eyes when I saw that was the book with the highest rating!

I'm surprised my average rating was as high as that as I have read quite a few 2 and 3 star books this year and hardly any books that I rated 5 stars. A lot of my books were 4 star reads though so I guess they helped bumped up my average 🙂

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Janice wrote: "I fell short of my Goodreads challenge. I had aimed for 125 books and have finished 110. There's still a couple of weeks left in the year, but I won't be able to finish another 15 books.

- I've re..."

I won't make my Goodreads Challenge target either, Janice. I lowered it a couple of months ago and I'm still going to fall short.

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments Lisa wrote: "I won't make my Goodreads Challenge target either, Janice. I lowered it a couple of months ago and I'm still going to fall short. .."

I'm slowing down when it comes to print books. I used to crawl into bed at 10:00 and read till midnight. Now, I'm lucky to last till 10:30. A half hour a day, makes for a long read. LOL!

message 9: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2313 comments So far . . .
I read 10,112 pages over 31 books
The average length was 326 pages
The shortest was Mistletoe Match at 190 pages
The longest was The Invisible Bridge at 758 pages
The most popular was Angels & Demons with 2,413,864 people having read
The least popular was Going to the Mountain: Life Lessons from My Grandfather, Nelson Mandela with 160 people having read
My average rating this year was 3.8
The book with the highest GR rating was The Shadow of the Wind with 4.2 (it was a 5 star for me)

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Ooh ooh. I'll add mine tomorrow. I was intrigued by mine. Not a great reading year for me either. I may or mwy not make my GR challenge. It's close.

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15359 comments I aimed for 50 at the beginning of the year and will reach it, but in the previous two years I read 70 and 60 books. I'm not sure what caused the drop.

message 12: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments I read 56,172 pages across 193 books.
Shortest book : Puppy Problems, 4 pages.
Longest book : The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home , 832 pages.
Most popular book : The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe ,1,926,156 people read it.
Least popular book : Discourse on the Origin of Inequality ,6 people read it.
My average rating : 4.1
Book with highest rating on GR : Wildfire , 4.75 stars on GR
My first review : Exit West

message 13: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15359 comments Lol siriusedward, a 4-page book? ;-)

This thread makes me wonder what the most read book on GR is..

message 14: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 887 comments Yup.
Short story
:)

message 15: by Lanelle (last edited Dec 11, 2018 11:32AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3204 comments Goodreads says I read 205 books, with a total of 55,248 pages. I know the number is higher because if I re-read a book that didn't count for a reading challenge, I didn't bother to keep track of it :)

Shortest book: The Enchanted Type-Writer 90 pages
Longest book: New Moon 577 pages
Most popular book: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (the same as siriusedward :)
Least popular book: On A Husband Hunt 4 people have read it
My average rating: 3.3 (sounds about right; the book has to be something special to get a 4 star rating)
Book with highest rating on GR: Standing for Something: 10 Neglected Virtues That Will Heal Our Hearts and Homes 4.60 average
My first review: Scandal 2 stars "Too much cursing. It got old quickly."

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Peggy wrote: "This thread makes me wonder what the most read book on GR is.."

My guess would be a Harry Potter book.

message 17: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments My year in books:
I read 12, 621 pages over 37 books. My goal is 40 books - I might make it but I might not. I might be one short.
Shortest book - 48 pages - I Had a Black Dog: His Name Was Depression
Longest book - 880 pages - The Core
Average book length - 341 pages
Most popular book on GR that I read - Cinder
Least popular book on GR that I read - Professional Opportunist Wrongless Approach: The Antidote To Fear
My average rating - 4.3 stars
Highest rated on goodreads - 4.70 average - Essentials Of Clinical Hypnosis: An Evidence Based Approach
My first review - Kin 4 stars

message 18: by Cherie (last edited Dec 12, 2018 12:54PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments My Year in Books is reporting that I read 180 books at 63,718 pages. My goal was 130. The book count is correct but the page numbers are skewed because of the large number of audiobooks I reported.
It reports that the shortest book I read was Brimstone at 19 pages, but the HB is actually 497 pages.
It reports that the longest book I read was The Pendergast Files: at 1085 pages. This is correct, but the volume is actually the first two books in the Pendergast Series. (I listened to the audiobook format of all 17 Pendergast books as well as 13 Amelia Peabody books).

Average book length - 353 pages
Most popular book on GR that I read - The Time Traveler's Wife with 1,482,740 readers.
Least popular book on GR that I read - La Giara (The Water Jug): A Story About Longing with 7 readers.
My average rating - 3.9
Highest rated on GR - 4.43 average was The Pendergast Files:. I gave it 3 stars.
My first review was Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption. I gave it 5 stars.

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments I thought they fixed the page length with the audiobooks. I'd heard that for these stats, they were basing audiobooks on the equivalent print book length. Maybe I was dreaming that.

message 20: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (fiiicoooo) | 270 comments My "year" of books (I started in September):

- I read 6110 pages across 21 books.
- The shortest book was Quidditch Through the Ages with 64 pages.
- The longest book was Der Lavendelgarten with 528 pages.
- The average length was 290 pages.
- The most popular book was Artemis Fowl with 446.265 fellow readers.
- The least popular book was Dämonenspiel with 2 fellow readers.
- My average rating was 4.4 stars (I`m really easy to satisfy :D).
The book with the highest rating was Dämonenspiel with 4.50 stars. I gave it 4 stars.

message 21: by Cherie (last edited Dec 13, 2018 04:46PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Janice wrote: "I thought they fixed the page length with the audiobooks. I'd heard that for these stats, they were basing audiobooks on the equivalent print book length. Maybe I was dreaming that."

I don't know, but I do not think so. How would they manage that? I used to track my own page stats, but I didn't write all of the page lengths down for the audio books that I read this year. Do you report the audiobook as what was read, or the HB version?

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 49962 comments I shelve the book according to the edition I read. My shortest book was Murder In The Yoga Store at 88 pages, and it was an eBook. You'd think I'd have a shortest book that was 12 pages because it was an audiobook.

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14183 comments I hadn't considered audiobooks listing that way. I don't have any either.

I do have a couple of children's books that I added because I needed to add them to a shelf for a challenge. I think the shortest was 24 pages. Unfortunately, that means I don't know how long my shortest 'real' book was. I run into this every year.

I will post my stats soon. Of course, they'll change a bit as I'm still reading.

message 24: by Clive (last edited Dec 14, 2018 03:33AM) (new)

Clive Matthews | 225 comments My year in books:

I read 33,156 pages over 92 books (this will go up fairly significantly as I'm close to finishing A Little Life and plan to read The Shining over Christmas).

My challenge for the year was to read 52 books so I've comfortably beaten that. I did then hope for 100 but I think I'll come up a couple short.

My shortest book was The Last Wolf / Herman at 128 pages.

My longest book was War and Peace at 1,392 pages. I've had quite a few very long books this year including It and The Pillars of the Earth.

The average length was 360.

The most popular book was The Girl on the Train (which I really didn't like).

The least popular was Interpreters.

The highest rated book I read was The Hate U Give.

My average rating given was 3.8.

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Dec 31, 2018 05:03PM) (new)

Kristie | 14183 comments My year in books:

I read 27,385 pages across 89 books.

My shortest book was The Wonky Donkey at 24 pages (which was hilarious and I had to post a review because I had to link the nanna reading it to her grandbaby which was even funnier!)

My longest book was Lethal White at 656 pages.

Average length: 307 pages

Most popular: Frankenstein with 1,090,656 readers

Least popular: The Mask of Anubis with only 4 readers, though I have to say this book was much better that Frankenstein IMO

Highest rated on Goodreads: The Hate U Give at 4.56 stars

My average rating: 3.7 stars

First review: Bound

Last review: Skinnytaste One and Done: 140 No-Fuss Dinners for Your Instant Pot®, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer, Sheet Pan, Skillet, Dutch Oven, and More: 140 No-Fuss Dinners Sheet Pan, Skillet, Dutch Oven, and More

I read 89 books and had a goal of 70. This included 4 picture books and 4 cookbooks.