Historical Romance Book Club discussion

What a Rogue Desires (Reece Family Trilogy, #2)
This topic is about What a Rogue Desires
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR What a Rogue Desires - Caroline Linden

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loriidae (last edited Dec 10, 2018 10:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments What a Rogue Desires (Reece Family Trilogy, #2) by Caroline Linden What a Rogue Desires #2 Reece Family Trilogy Caroline Linden

Blurb: (view spoiler)

Buddy Read begins December 12 Everyone welcome!

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments Great! I'll start sometime today or tomorrow

message 3: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4060 comments Mod
Ok, I will start tomorrow. Looking forward to it since the first book improved for me. I remember considering this not among my faves of CL, which isn’t much of a discouragement since I really enjoy most of her books.

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments I've just started. Enjoying it as of now.

The first chapter has a wonderful scene with Marcus, Hannah and Molly! Almost makes up for the lack of epilogue in the earlier book. Almost.

Shannon | 348 comments I may jump in, but I didn't read the first in the series. Generally the stories can stand alone so I assume I'll be okay. I love CL

message 6: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shannon wrote: "I may jump in, but I didn't read the first in the series. Generally the stories can stand alone so I assume I'll be okay. I love CL"

You’re welcome to join, Shannon. :) I don’t think you’ll be lost in this one, but it may spoil the first book for you, which is my only caution.

Mariana | 2261 comments Just purchased and downloaded. Will start reading this weekend.

message 8: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am through Chapter 3.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Through Chapter Four (view spoiler)

message 10: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Through Chapter Four [spoilers removed]"

I think it’s an interesting matchup. (view spoiler)

message 11: by Loriidae (last edited Dec 15, 2018 10:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Loriidae wrote: "Through Chapter Four [spoilers removed]"

I think it’s an interesting matchup. [spoilers removed]"

I must admit (view spoiler)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments I just finished chapter 5 and I agree with most of what you've said. I started to warm up to David at the end of the last book, however (view spoiler)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Through Chapter Eight (view spoiler)

message 14: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am through Chapter 8 also. I agree with your spoiler Lorii. (view spoiler)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Chapter Ten (view spoiler)

Through Chapter Twelve (view spoiler)

And signs of maturing (view spoiler)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Chapter 13 (view spoiler)

Chapter 14 (view spoiler)

Through Chapter 16 (view spoiler)

message 17: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Chapter Ten This is why they suit each other.
He didn’t think he could manage more than a quarter hour of acceptable conversation with a sheltered lady of his own class, and at least half that t..."

I think I highlighted the same phrase in chapter 10. So while this book has seemed slower, it builds. David is a true scoundrel whose devilish ways are catching up with him. Love that build and it is what makes Linden stand out for me.

I am through Chapter 13: (view spoiler)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Loriidae wrote: "Chapter Ten This is why they suit each other.
He didn’t think he could manage more than a quarter hour of acceptable conversation with a sheltered lady of his own class, and at l..."

Yes!

message 19: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Chapter 13 [spoilers removed]

Chapter 14 [spoilers removed]

Through Chapter 16 [spoilers removed]"

I am through Chapter 16: (view spoiler)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Loriidae wrote: "Chapter 13 [spoilers removed]

Chapter 14 [spoilers removed]

Through Chapter 16 [spoilers removed]"

I am through Chapter 16: I agree that we were getting a lot about David’s char..."

No I didn't notice! Good pick up

message 21: by Loriidae (last edited Dec 20, 2018 06:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments Chapter 18 (view spoiler)

Chapter 21 (view spoiler)

Will finish this afternoon.

message 22: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

I will likely finish today too. In the middle of 21.

message 23: by Loriidae (last edited Dec 21, 2018 02:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments Finished (view spoiler)

message 24: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Finished Overall I enjoyed it. I believed in David's redemption. I thought the author managed a difficult trope very well. She didn't fall into the trope trap of a miracle last minute epiphany, th..."

I agree with all your points Lorii. I would have really liked an epilogue. I think you can tell this is one of her earliest books. Some of her signature lovely moments, but the plot needs some work.

Mariana | 2261 comments I have only read the first two chapters. Not much time to read much in the past week.

I agree that chapter one almost makes up for no epilogue in the first book. What a difference a month can make!

Enjoying so far. Will hopefully have time to read more before Christmas.

Loriidae | 1120 comments We'll still be here. :) it's a busy time of year.

Mariana | 2261 comments Loriidae wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Loriidae wrote: "Through Chapter Four [spoilers removed]"

I must admit [spoilers removed]"

Through chapter 4. This is a unique way of forcing them together--theft and kidnapping! They do seem well matched in wills.

message 28: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariana wrote: "Loriidae wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Loriidae wrote: "Through Chapter Four [spoilers removed]"

I must admit [spoilers removed]"

..."

They are :). It’s a fun combo of personalities.

message 29: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

For after the third book in this series. Caroline Linden released bonus story about Rosalind: https://ramblingsfromthischick.blogsp....

Mariana | 2261 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I am through Chapter 8 also. I agree with your spoiler Lorii. [spoilers removed]"

Through chapter 8. Although not much is happening, it was easy for me to read 5-8. The gauntlet has been thrown, and the terms have changed slightly. I look forward to seeing how their interactions progress over the next few chapters.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Mariana, what did you think in the end? I am assuming that you finished it.

Loriidae | 1120 comments A date for book #3??

A Rake's Guide to Seduction (Reece Family Trilogy, #3) by Caroline Linden

Mariana | 2261 comments Loriidae wrote: "Mariana, what did you think in the end? I am assuming that you finished it."

Yes, I finished but haven't been online to post my thoughts.

Overall. I enjoyed it. Redeeming David was no easy task, but I thought Linden did a good job. Vivian was his perfect match. The ending was way too abrupt for me thought.

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments I just realized I never posted finishing the book or my thoughts. Holiday season got in the way.

Also, goes to show that I didn't quite enjoy it as much as the first. I think Linden found the perfect heroine for David though, and the re-invention/redemption of David was supremely well done. He wasn't precisely a villain in the earlier book, but you certainly felt like slapping him.

However, the plot kind of fell flat for me. I was intrigued but then confused by the back and forth. The romance was good, but not my favorite? I don't know how to explain it. I think I compared it to Marcus and Hannah's too much, and that isn't fair on my part.

A 3.5 rating for me perhaps.

message 35: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Looks like we were all pretty similar on this one. I am really looking forward to the last one. Book 2 is the weakest in the series, IMO.

I can start whenever.

message 36: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 4 stars

Started a buddy read thread here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...