What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Translations in Celadon
This topic is about Translations in Celadon
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA portal fantasy main character gets stuck as horse (spoilers) [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bonny (new) - added it

Bonny Ross | 2 comments I read this book in the very early 2000s, probably 2002 or 2003. I borrowed it from my Australian primary school library but they don't have a searchable catalogue online and wouldn't have a digital borrowing record from that time. The cover was fairly dark/black and had a horse on it, and possibly a female face above the horse?

The book was about a teenage girl who had magic powers which her best female friend nagged her about using. Their friendship was fairly toxic, with the friend being mean and controlling. They go on a class trip up a mountain (?) and the MC uses her magic to take her friend, another male friend and the boy she has a crush on (I'm pretty sure the two male characters were brothers) into a magical realm. I think the realm was fairly empty of other people and full of ruins? While in this realm the MC is stuck as a horse, I think specifically an ugly yellow nag. They travel through the magical world together.

Spoilers: I remember a specific scene toward the end of the book where the MC and her crush are talking together and she turns back into herself but is naked? At the end the mean friend and the other male friend are killed and when the MC and her crush get back to the real world their death is blamed on a rockslide or an avalanche.

message 2: by SBC (new) - rated it 3 stars

SBC (essbeecee) | 873 comments Hi Bonny, I'm pretty sure this book is Translations in Celadon by Sally Odgers. :)

message 3: by Bonny (new) - added it

Bonny Ross | 2 comments Aah thank you so much!I've been trying to find it for years