The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

Mini Challenges > Winter 2019 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amaka (last edited Dec 12, 2018 07:44AM) (new)

Amaka Nzeadibe New Year, New You! Well, not really, but any excuse for a reading challenge and I'm game! The theme is "New beginnings," which you can take in whatever direction you please. The categories are as follows:

1. A book about a new relationship, either love, family, friend or pet
2. A book about a "New Start"
3. A new to you Series, Genre or Author
4. A book that's been on your TBR for at least 1 year
5. A book to help you grow
6. A book representing your outlook for 2019

And because you can't grow without some self reflection,
Bonus #7, A re-read to see in a new light. This can be a book you hated upon first read, and you'd like to give it another go. Or maybe it was so dense you'd have to read it a second time to glean some real gem. Interpret it as you please!

There are points if you're up for the challenge (Its NOT mandatory to count points. This is for those who like to compete. Even when there's no prize)
1 point for every book chosen off of the official list
1 point for every episode you can identify the book in
6 points for not repeating a book
an extra 7 points if you do the bonus
1 point for every unique interpretation of the challenge.

Total possible points: 34 points

Anyhoo, ask questions if its unclear; everything makes sense in my head.
PS. I cannot finagle the html for the image, therefor no banner.
The winter Challenge Begins January 1st and ends March 31st

message 2: by Frau Spätzle (new)

Frau Spätzle (soenne) | 145 comments Mod
Love this!

What's the time frame? January/February 2019?

message 3: by Amaka (new)

Amaka Nzeadibe Sönne wrote: "Love this!

What's the time frame? January/February 2019?"

Oh! I'll update that

message 4: by Frau Spätzle (new)

Amaka wrote: "Sönne wrote: "Love this!

What's the time frame? January/February 2019?"
Oh! I'll update that"

Thank you!

message 5: by Amaka (new)

Amaka Nzeadibe All righty, lets kick this off!

I'm going with the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, as it features the revival of a mother-daughter relationship. Also its on the B&W list
The Hate U Give seems to fit this for me
For this, I'm going to read The Lost Days, which is also on the B&W list.
Girl Through Glass has been on my list for 2 years!!! Either I read it during this challenge, or I delete it off my list.
I've been exploring careers (I'm 24 and I STILL don't know what I want to do. I know, how immature.) so I'm going to read Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
I choose Whistle in the Dark for this category, purely for its title. It just sounds so self confident and strong to be able to find the silver lining to the darkest cloud

And for the Bonus, I'm going with The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, since I absolutely HATED this book in high-school.

message 6: by Holly (new)

Holly | 231 comments Mod
I think I've got my list. Since my goal this year is to focus on my overloaded bookshelfs, read them, and get rid of some (gulp), I'm focusing my winter challenge on books I already own.

1. New Relationship: I'm reading Dead Run by Jodie Bailey
2: New Start: Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks (which will also be a re-read)
3. New Author: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (I've never read him!)
4: On TBR list for a year: Life after Life by Kate Atkinson
5: Helps you grow: Made to Crave by Lysa Terkeurst
6: Outlook on 2019: Carry on Warrior: Thoughts of Life Unarmed by Glennon Doyle Melton

And for the Bonus: Color Purple by Alice Walker. I read it in high school and loved it but it's been a WHILE since I've read it so it'll be interesting to read it now at 34 vs 17.

message 7: by Amaka (new)

Amaka Nzeadibe Holly wrote: "I think I've got my list. Since my goal this year is to focus on my overloaded bookshelfs, read them, and get rid of some (gulp), I'm focusing my winter challenge on books I already own.

1. New R..."

Holly, your list looks awesome! Also, Fahrenheit 451 is an all time favorite; I hope you find it enjoyable as well.

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly | 231 comments Mod
Amaka wrote: "Holly wrote: "I think I've got my list. Since my goal this year is to focus on my overloaded bookshelfs, read them, and get rid of some (gulp), I'm focusing my winter challenge on books I already o..."

Thanks. Most of them aren't GG related. But it gets them off the TBR list!

message 9: by Sherri (last edited Mar 26, 2019 04:10PM) (new)

Sherri | 3 comments I think I can try to complete this challenge. I have been studying what I want to complete for 2019 and many are on the Gilmore's Reading List :)

1. A book about a new relationship: Don Quijote de la Mancha I
2. A book about a "New Start" Out of Africa
3. A new Author: The Virgin Suicides
4. A book that's been on your TBR for at least 1 year: The Picture of Dorian Gray
5. A book to help you grow: Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books
7. A Re-Read: The Iliad

message 10: by Holly (new)

Holly | 231 comments Mod
Amaka wrote: "All righty, lets kick this off!

I'm going with the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, as it features the r..."

I have read Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. I have to agree with you, wasn't one of my favorites. However, look at it from Ullman's point of view and the desire to help a friend in need, even when the friend doesn't realized he needs help or doesn't want help.

message 11: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan F. | 20 comments 1. A book about a new relationship, either love, family, friend or pet
For this one going for a tearjerker and selecting The Yearling.

Took an open interpretation to "new start" and am going with Deenie since it involves starting over after receiving life changing news.

I never read any of the Encyclopedia Brown books as a kid so they are completely new to me (and as you might have guessed I need some short reads to start off the year, reading challenge at work), so for this will be doing Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective

The Miniaturist is the one book I am reading for the challenge that is not off the list, but it has been on my TBR for over three years and I really want to read it, fingers crossed I get to it this time.

I am looking for a career change so I thought why not try reading What Color Is Your Parachute? 2018: A Practical Manual for Job Hunters and Career Changers: A Practical Manual for Job Hunters and Career Changers (this one is half on the list, they have the 2005 edition).

Right now it feels like The Comedy of Errors.

7. Reread [BONUS]
At the moment I am also rereading the Harry Potter series and should get to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire before the challenge is over without an issue. It has been really interesting rereading the books knowing how everything ends and looking back and seeing all the plotting that went into them.

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments Finished #4 Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I dont like to pre-pick books. I change my mind so much.

message 13: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan F. | 20 comments Finished #3 Encyclopedia Brown, disappointed I never read these as s kid.

message 14: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan F. | 20 comments Finished #6 The Comedy of Errors

message 15: by Jules (new)

Jules (julesgotheblues) | 2 comments Hello, may I still join?

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments Finished #5. 1/10/19 The coddling of the american mind: how good intentions and bad ideas are setting up a generation for failure.

message 17: by Mine (new)

Mine | 1 comments This sounds like a great challenge. I think I'll join as well.

message 18: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan F. | 20 comments Finished #4 The Miniaturist So glad I decided to finally read this book, it was not at all what I was expecting but a really enjoyable quite book about choosing your own path in a world that wants you to conform.

message 19: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan F. | 20 comments Finished #2Deenie, it wasn't a terrible read but it definitely shows it age not something that I would choose to read again or recommend.

message 20: by Holly (new)

Holly | 231 comments Mod
Finished #3: Fahrenheit 451. I'm surprised I hadn't read it as it has been on my TBR list for ages. However, after reading it, I must say, I wasn't too impressed. I wanted more from it than it offered. Kind of reminded me of something Orwell would have written.

message 21: by Amaka (new)

Amaka Nzeadibe Holly wrote: "Finished #3: Fahrenheit 451. I'm surprised I hadn't read it as it has been on my TBR list for ages. However, after reading it, I must say, I wasn't too impressed. I wanted more from it than it offe..."

I'm so sad that F. 451 didn't work out for you, as its an all time favorite for me! I agree though that its very Orwellian, although much shorter (which is why I like it )

message 22: by Amaka (new)

Amaka Nzeadibe Jules wrote: "Hello, may I still join?"

Sure!

message 23: by Amaka (new)

Amaka Nzeadibe I'm so happy that you guys are enjoying this! I just finished #3, The Lost Days and yes, it took me ALL MONTH to finish this middle grade book. It has the set up of being a book I would generally love. I was the image of a Scene Kid, so in theory I should love this. But I didn't. It just took sooooooooo long. Any way, on to the next.

message 24: by Amaka (new)

Amaka Nzeadibe Mine wrote: "This sounds like a great challenge. I think I'll join as well."

YAY!

message 25: by Amaka (new)

Amaka Nzeadibe Siobhan wrote: "Finished #2Deenie, it wasn't a terrible read but it definitely shows it age not something that I would choose to read again or recommend."

I'm sorry about this. However, I'm excited to do this challenge together!

message 26: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zoemmaude) | 46 comments I'm late to the game so need to get a move on haha

1. A book about a new relationship, either love, family, friend or pet The Awakening
2. A book about a "New Start" The Shining
3. A new to you Series, Genre or Author Wuthering Heights
4. A book that's been on your TBR for at least 1 year On the Road: The Original Scroll
5. A book to help you grow Julius Caesar
6. A book representing your outlook for 2019 Snow White and Rose Red
7. A re-read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

message 27: by Mindy (last edited Mar 03, 2019 10:30AM) (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I have been so obsessed with reading for the the Tournament of Books that I've hardly had time to track my other challenges. But better late than never:

3/7
6 points

✔1. A book about a new relationship, either love, family, friend or pet. America Is Not the Heart
✔2. A book about a "New Start". The Parking Lot Attendant
3. A new to you Series, Genre or Author. The Big Sleep
✔4. A book that's been on your TBR for at least 1 year. The Children Act
5. A book to help you grow.
6. A book representing your outlook for 2019.
7. A reread. Middlemarch

message 28: by Frau Spätzle (new)

So, here's what I read for the Winter Challenge:

1. A book about a new relationship, either love, family, friend or pet: Sense and Sensibility
2. A book about a "New Start": The Weight of Water
3. A new to you Series, Genre or Author: Belonging
4. A book that's been on your TBR for at least 1 year: Slaughterhouse-Five
5. A book to help you grow: Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race
6. A book representing your outlook for 2019: Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls

I don't know how many points that would be, but I enjoyed reading all of those books with or without earning points. So, thank you, Amaka for challenging us to read all those inspiring new books!

message 29: by Holly (new)

Holly | 231 comments Mod
I'm so far behind. I got stuck reading books for classes and got behind on the challenge. So far I've read:

2: Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
3: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

I must say I was disappointed with Fahrenheit 451. I felt it was a bit disjointed and could have been better written. It seemed to make sense in the end FINALLY.

message 30: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments 3. The girl with the dragon tattoo by Steig Larsoon.
Ive never read this author or series. I really love it. Its not on the GG list but. Meh.

message 31: by Mindy (last edited Mar 30, 2019 06:33PM) (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I've listened to 16 hours of Middlemarch but it's a 35 hour book, so my 3/7 tasks and 6 points are all I'm going to get. Still had fun, thanks!

Is a spring challenge in the works?

message 32: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Johnson | 299 comments #4. The goldfinch, by Donna Tartt. I thought this was on the list but I couldn’t find it. I liked it anyways.