The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Book Hunting / Recommendations > detective, private eye mysterys

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue Barr | 2 comments Looking for some new mysteries to read. Preferably based on detective and private eye characters. I'm listing here my favorite authors and their characters that I love but have read everything that that's been written by the author and character. I appreciate any suggestions. Lee Child/Jack Reacher, John Sandford/Lucas Davenport, Robert B. Parker/Spenser, Jesse Stone, Sonny Randall, Virgil and Hitch; Robert Crais books; don't care for the spenser series now being written by another author since RB Parker's passing; Stephen White/Dr Alan Gregory series; Ayelet Waldman/Mommy Track Series; J.A. Jance/J.P. Beaumont & Ali Reynolds series-not a fan of her other books; Michael Allegretto's books (enjoyed most of them), Linwood Barclay (most of them) There are many others but these are among my favorites. Thanks

message 2: by Gregg (new)

Gregg Parker Hi Sue,
Have you tried going back to some older picks? I personally have really gotten into Raymond Chandler recently. His books like The Big Sleep really hold up!
And if we're talking new mysteries, let me take this opportunity to shill for my own book, Murder, She Vaped: The Ironic T-Shirt Caper, which adds a fun new twist to the detective novel.

Another great fun choice is John Swartzwelder, who uses a classic private eye character named Frank Burly. My personal favorite is The Time Machine Did It.
Happy reading!

https://www.amazon.com/Murder-She-Vap...

message 3: by William (new)

William Prystauk (williamdprystauk) | 2 comments I agree with Sue. Chandler is an excellent choice for tightly written narratives that resonate.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 233 comments I'd highly recommend John Connolly's Charlie Parker books ( although they do become supernatural, which may be beyond the remit ),

Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brodie novels are superb ( she's only written four and, I fear, has moved on to other things )

Lawrence Block's Matt Scudder series sounds very much in your wheelhouse

I'll also add my vote for Raymond Chandler, along with Dashiell Hammett. Very much the progenitors of the modern hard-boiled detective genre.

message 5: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2316 comments Here are a few for you to consider:

David Baldacci - King & Maxwell
Linda Barnes - Carlotta Carlyle
Rhys Bowen - Molly Murphy
Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch and MIckey Haller
Earl Emerson - Thomas Black
Sue Grafton - Kinsey Millhone
Jeremiah Healy - John Francis Cuddy
Craig Johnson - Walt Longmire
Jonathan Kellerman - Alex Delaware
Jonathon King - Max Freeman
Dennis Lehane - Kenzie & Gennaro
John D. MacDonald - Travis McGee
Archer Mayor - Joe Gunther
Ed McBain - 87th Precinct
Marcia Mueller - Sharon McCone
Ridley Pearson - Lou Boldt and Walt Fleming
Spenser Quinn - Chet & Bernie
John Sandford - Virgil Flowers
Julia Spenser-Fleming - Fergusson & VanAlstyne
Will Thomas - Barker & Llewellyn
John Verdon - Dave Gurney

message 6: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments My faves are as follows:

Michael Connelly
Sue Grafton
Ann Cleeves
Lisa Gardner
John Sandford
Louise Penny
Jonathan Kellerman

message 7: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1500 comments All of the above are excellent suggestions. I would add Dana Stabenow Dashiell Hammett Sue Henry

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue Barr | 2 comments Quillracer wrote: "Here are a few for you to consider:

David Baldacci - King & Maxwell
Linda Barnes - Carlotta Carlyle
Rhys Bowen - Molly Murphy
Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch and MIckey Haller
Earl Emerson - Thomas..."

I just finished the Chet and Bernie series. Loved it. I wrote Spencer Quinn to see if he has a new book coming out and he does, in July of 2019, I believe. Thanks for the suggestions!