The Sword and Laser discussion

Ka: Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr
This topic is about Ka
Ka:Dar Oakley in the Ruin of Ymr > Ka: Historical characters (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Daniel | 16 comments As this book spans over many centuries, there are plenty of allusions to historical events, such as the rise of Christianity on the British Isles, the invasion of North America by Europeans, the American Civil War or the current Climate Change.

However, I was wondering are any of the characters 'real'? By real I mean, are they inspired by historical or mythical characters as opposed to being made up by the author. For example, Saint Brendan makes an appearance and is specifically mentioned in the book. Other characters such as Fox Cap, the Brother or Anna Kuhn feel to me as if they might be inspired by 'real' characters, but I can't find them.

Does anyone know whether any of these (or others) have a historical counterpart?

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1661 comments In the Geek's Guide to the Galaxy podcast, Crowley mentioned he did not base anyone on a historical character. But I guess Saint Brendan is an exception.

Daniel | 16 comments That is interesting, I didn't know about that interview. I guess my gut feeling was utterly wrong then!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1661 comments Daniel wrote: "That is interesting, I didn't know about that interview. I guess my gut feeling was utterly wrong then!"

That happens. I listened to the episode again when we decided to read this book. Nevertheless, he might have been inspired by his history readings. Here's some of the history books that were used for the book:
Celtic Heritage: Ancient Tradition in Ireland and Wales
Body and Soul: A Sympathetic History of American Spiritualism (inspiration for Anna Kuhn?)
This Republic of Suffering: Death and the American Civil War
and the one that intrigues me the most: The Dominion of the Dead