Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Weight of Ink by Rachel Kadish - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments A novel written in two time periods. British Professor Helen Watt and American Doctoral student Aaron Levy have come into some old historic correspondence found in a home being renovated for an art gallery. These documents are a treasure.

The wonderful thing is that the reader knows the full story of Aleph or (as Helen and Aaron find out later) Ester. She is a Jew from Portugal who came to London as a young girl with her brother who was to scribe for the Rabbi. Ester is as well-trained in letters and languages as her brother and takes over her brother's duties, a very unusual move.

We learn the full story of Ester while Helen Watt and Aaron Levy try to their best to work it out through the documents they have access to in the University. Others in the University are also using the documents and there is a bit of a competition. At the same time, we learn much of the story of both Helen and Aaron outside of their research. Helen's is the more interesting in my opinion, probably because it is the longest history of the two because she is much older.

Some of the history of philosophy was a bit over my head and had me running to do research. A very good book.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2937 comments So glad you liked it! I've been selling this one to everyone I know.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I think this will be my next read. Thanks for the enthusiasm.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Loved, Loved this book so much. In my top 10 for the year. So glad you enjoyed it.

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7395 comments One of my top reads this year, too. Also have recommended to all and sundry. Glad you joined the fold, Barbara!

message 6: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 3851 comments Nice review, Barbara! I own this book and need to move it up in the queue.

message 7: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2501 comments Another fan! I’d pick this to be on the PBT top ten this year

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8841 comments Join me to the list of Raves!