Play Book Tag discussion

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life: A Sortabiography
December 2018: Geek Reads > Always Look on the Bright Side of Life by Eric Idle- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tracy (tstan) | 1218 comments I am adding this to geek reads, since every geek I know is a Monty Python fan, including me. I realize this makes me an odd female, but there it is.

This was more autobiography than memoir, and I appreciate that. Idle talks about his entire life, but makes the story move along. I listened to this, and it was worth it- he would sing, throw out the little old lady voice, etc.

He did drop a lot of names, but he's an icon- I guess it's his right. I was moved to tears when he talked about George Harrison's death- they were very close, and he was very moved in this chapter, as well as his tribute to Robin Williams. Most of all, I loved his respect for his costars of Monty Python, and his love for his wife and children. He is one of those rare people who is so talented- writing songs, Broadway shows, movie scripts, and performing and singing. And, always, so doggone funny.

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Does that make you an odd female? Most women I know also love Monty Python... but maybe that's just because I'm a geek and I hang out with fellow geeks.

Actually, same thing about Idle's name dropping. I mean, when you're a celebrity, you're gonna be surrounded by a lot of celebrities. He might not have much of an autobiography if he tried to avoid name dropping. lol

Thanks for the review! I should have known about this book, but I've somehow missed it in my biography browsing.

Tracy (tstan) | 1218 comments I’ve been told that most women don’t like Monty Python. I’ve no idea why not! How is a parrot joining the choir invisible not funny???

message 4: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments I love Monty Python. They make me laugh harder then anyone, they're just so crazy and weird, I love it!

I think a lot of women don't like Monty Python because it doesn't have many women in it and that's something that usually bothers me as well but for whatever reason it dosen't bother me here, I think because I just find them so hilarious.

message 5: by NancyJ (last edited Dec 10, 2018 11:21PM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5765 comments Magdalena wrote: "I love Monty Python. They make me laugh harder then anyone, they're just so crazy and weird, I love it!

I think a lot of women don't like Monty Python because it doesn't have many women in it and ..."

I think the reason I didn't like Lord of Rings was because it didn't have many women in it. But a lot of women loved the books.

I loved Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I saw it with friends (mostly guys) and later when I started dating my husband. We all reinforced the memories by throwing out quotes once in a while. "Tis only a flesh wound" came up while watching a movie this weekend. But none of the other shows appealed to me as much.

Three Stooges is another one that a lot of women don't like.

message 6: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5765 comments Tracy wrote: "I am adding this to geek reads, since every geek I know is a Monty Python fan, including me. I realize this makes me an odd female, but there it is.

This was more autobiography than memoir, and I..."

This sounds like something I would love to listen to in the car. I also love to listen to David Sedaris. I don't think it would be as funny in print.

message 7: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4156 comments Great review, Tracy! Count me in as another Monty Python fan. I love their dry wit. I'll have to check this one out.

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments Magdalena wrote: "I love Monty Python. They make me laugh harder then anyone, they're just so crazy and weird, I love it!

I think a lot of women don't like Monty Python because it doesn't have many women in it and ..."

True, Monty Python doesn't have a lot of women in it. However, I think that it's easy to get past, simply because a lot of their work had a relatable feminine/feminist perspective. Sure, as is often the case, it was obviously satire and over exaggerated. That was part of it's charm. there was often a grain of truth, or a really good message buried in there, nonetheless.

Of course, there was also a LOT of silliness that said absolutely nothing, which was also part of it's charm. It's a ridiculous show, using outlandish characters and situations to play around with ideas.

message 9: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2606 comments I adore Monty Python - always have. My father and I used to roll on the floor laughing. The Fish Slapping Dance is an all time favourite. And I tend to use quotes in conference presentations (but then I'm often talking to an IT crowd, who tend to know the stuff better than I do, lol)

The book sounds great! I shall have to locate a copy. George Harrison financed "Life of Brian" of course, so I think he got to know all the Pythons reasonably well.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review! I don't think you are an oddball! There are so many, including women that love Monty Python.:)

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8071 comments Add me to the Python Train-My young adult self spent many hours(after bar hours, that is....)watching MP and Saturday Night Live(when it was actually funny)