Play Book Tag discussion

December 2018: Geek Reads > MirrorMask by Neil Gaiman - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited Dec 11, 2018 12:41AM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2219 comments Read in one day, this Neil Gaiman novel for young adults was very well done. Helen is a young girl whose age we don't really know. She is a teen which seems obvious since she is in her rebellious years. She is a member of a small circus family. Life has become very difficult, she's had a disagreement with her mother and said something she is quite sorry for when her mother falls ill.

The story we hear, is the one she tells it seems to be a dream and, as a dream, the scenes are quite fantastical. The story, to me, felt a bit like Alice in Wonderland. The beings that she comes across are quite different from Alice's and she doesn't drink or eat from things that change her size. Nevertheless, it felt a bit like Alice probably because she is a young girl caught in a dream that is very real.

Being a geek about libraries, I especially enjoyed the behaviors of books. For one thing, they have a unique way of being returned to the library. Thank you Neil Gaiman for always supporting libraries!

I listened to the audio and found it quite well done.

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 429 comments This was actually made into a movie, its one of my all time favorites. And I agree, very Alice like.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8509 comments I am reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman right now. It’s my second. I was not unduly impressed with the Ocean at the end of the Lane, but I’m into this one.

message 4: by AsimovsZeroth (new)

AsimovsZeroth (asimovszerothlaw) | 436 comments I haven't actually managed to track down a copy of this one, but I'm a Gaiman fan and, like Nicole I loved the movie. It was absolutely gorgeous, I'd highly recommend watching it, now that you've read the book! There is definitely a surreal feel to the entire story.

message 5: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2219 comments I saw that the movie is available through Prime so I've put it on my list to watch.

message 6: by Joanne (last edited Dec 15, 2018 08:45AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7448 comments Amy wrote: "I am reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman right now. It’s my second. I was not unduly impressed with the Ocean at the end of the Lane, but I’m into this one."

Good to hear Amy, as Kate recommended Stardust to me-looking forward to your review (and i threw Ocean on my NDF pile this year)