Play Book Tag discussion

The Book of Boy
This topic is about The Book of Boy
Archive: Other Books > The Book of Boy, by Catherine Gilbert Murdock - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Amy N. | 256 comments So, apparently it turns out I love stories set in medieval Europe. Between this, The Ramsay Scallop, anything by Karen Cushman, The Door in the Wall, and then more fictional stuff like Gerald Morris's The Squire's Tale series, all of which rate among my all time favorites, I'm surprised I haven't read more in this time period.

The Book of Boy rates right up there with the above-mentioned favorites, and it's such a pleasure to watch as Boy, the titular main character, grows and learns. He journeys with the unsettling but probably not totally evil Secundus, a man on a dubious quest. There are moments of tenderness, cruelty, and humor, and although there are fantastical elements, the locations and time period are well-researched (as far as I know; I'm not an expert) and vibrantly drawn in Murdock's deft prose.

I liked this book so much I think I need more medieval quests. I'm thinking maybe The Inquisitor's Tale: Or, the Three Magical Children and Their Holy Dog.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review. This sounds very interesting. I've only read a few books from this time period.

message 3: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2207 comments Next year’s challenge, Amy? This sounds so interesting