Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2018 Classic Bingo Challenge > Jehona's Unplanned Classic Bingo 2018

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jehona (last edited Dec 29, 2018 10:17PM) (new)

Jehona | 182 comments So, I just saw the "Year in Books" that Goodreads compiled and I seem to have almost completed the Bingo. I have Level 1 and Level 2, and need 3 books for blackout.

B1: ✔ Written by Nobel Laureate – The Clown (15/4) ****
B2: ✔ Children’s Classic – A Wizard of Earthsea (1/4) ****
B3: ✔ Government Banned Book – All Quiet on the Western Front (19/10) *****
B4: ✔ Classic Made into a Film/TV – The Woman in White (25/2) ***
B5: ✔ Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize – Foucault's Pendulum (11/3) *****

I1: ✔ 20th Century Classic – Giovanni's Room (30/7) ****
I2: ✔ New-to-You Author – Vanity Fair (27/4) ****
I3: ✔ Mystery or Crime Classic – Postmortem (28/2) ***
I4: ✔ Classic of More than 500 Pages – Ulysses (10/8) *****
I5: ✔ 18th Century or Earlier Classic – Beowulf (21/3) ****

N1: ✔ North American Classic – To Kill a Mockingbird (1/5) *****
N2: ✔ Classic Short Story – The Snows of Kilimanjaro (28/1) ****
N3: ✔ FREE SPACE – Cold Comfort Farm (25/9) ****
N4: ✔ Classic Play – A Doll's House (28/10) *****
N5: ✔ African Classic - So Long a Letter (16/12) ****

G1: ✔ 19th Century Classic – A Tale of Two Cities (18/3) *****
G2: ✔ Finest Works of Fiction (Martin Seymour-Smith & Editors) – The Mill on the Floss (17/7) ***
G3: ✔ Adventure or Action Classic – The Return of the King (22/3) *****
G4: ✔ Group Read – The Return of the Soldier (18/9) *****
G5: ✔ 21st Century Potential Classic –The Hate U Give (25/5) ****

O1: ✔ Literary Prize of Your Country/Region – Grobnica za Borisa Davidoviča (Ivan Goran Kovačić award 1977) (20/12) ****
O2: ✔ Lesser known book by a famous author – Alias Grace (13/1) *****
O3: ✔ Australia, Antarctica, or Oceania Classic – The Island of Dr. Moreau (13/12) ****
O4: ✔ A Classic that you have put off reading – Frankenstein (25/11) ****
O5: ✔ Classic written by a Female Author – Rebecca (5/10) *****

B I N G O
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X

message 2: by Brina (new)

Brina Wow only two to go and you read a lot of good books. I read The Thorn Birds for Australia but if you want a fast book I recommend Whale Rider. Good luck finishing :)

message 3: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2611 comments Just suggestions:
African Classic: Cry, the Beloved Country
Australian Classic: My Brilliant Career

I enjoyed both of these this year, and they're not extremely long.
Good luck!

message 4: by Jehona (last edited Dec 10, 2018 04:29PM) (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Thanks! I have both, The Thorn Birds and The Whale Rider set for a personal challenge I planned for 2019. I'm probably going to read The Island of Doctor Moreau for O3 and maybe Nervous Conditions for N5. It depends on whether I can find them in the library.

message 5: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Terris wrote: "Just suggestions:
African Classic: Cry, the Beloved Country
Australian Classic: My Brilliant Career

I enjoyed both of these this year, and they're not extremely long.
Goo..."

I'm definitely going to add these two to the list I'll take to the library. Let's see what they have. I might still have a few days of work on my thesis (waiting for my supervisor to check it) so, in the worst case scenario, I have to read whatever I can during Christmas.

message 6: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments Good luck on completing your Bingo.

message 7: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Good luck on completing your Bingo."

Thanks, I'll need it.

message 8: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments If you’re in the US, I read The Caine Mutiny in just a few days and used it for my Literary Prize of Your Region square. It was so, so good and I couldn’t put it down after about chapter 5.

message 9: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Paula W wrote: "If you’re in the US, I read The Caine Mutiny in just a few days and used it for my Literary Prize of Your Region square. It was so, so good and I couldn’t put it down after about chapter 5."

Oh dear, I forgot about O1. No, I'm not in the US. That one is going to be a problem, even including the entire region. There haven't been many serious prizes for literature in the Western Balkans since communism fell. I've been living in Finland for a while. Maybe I can find an English translation of some book that won some Finnish prize.

message 10: by Brina (new)

Brina I read When Pumpkins Blossomed from Serbia. I’m not sure if it won a prize but it is short and interesting.

message 11: by Paula W (new)

Paula W | 553 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

A short stories collection, and Goodreads says it is less than 150 pages. The author won several “national and international awards” according to Wikipedia, so I’d go with that.

message 12: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments The author did, for a different book, back before the separation of the states of Yugoslavia. There are some good winners of the NIN awards from back then, but they are quite hard to find. Even if they can be found Amazon takes very long to deliver to Finland. For next year, I was planning to go home for a while... but for what's left of this year it is not doable.

message 13: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Paula W wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

A short stories collection, and Goodreads says it is less than 150 pages. The author won several “national a..."

He is one of the most famous. I'll check if I can find something in time. He is the most likely to be found.

message 14: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments I managed to find something, so my list is complete now. Thanks to everybody who helped! I chose the shortest possible books because I was afraid I might not finish them in time otherwise.

message 15: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2611 comments Good luck! :)

message 16: by Brina (new)

Brina I really liked So Long A Letter as well. Nervous Conditions is special but the Mariama Ba book is shorter.

message 17: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Brina wrote: "I really liked So Long A Letter as well. Nervous Conditions is special but the Mariama Ba book is shorter."

Nice to hear that. My university library had a copy of Nervous Conditions as well, but I went with the shorter one, hoping to finish them in time.

message 18: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments BINGO!

message 19: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2611 comments Woohoo!! You did it! And, my, didn't you read a lot of good books?!! :)

message 20: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Congrats! You read some great books! Mostly 4 and 5 star reads, so that's a bonus :)

message 21: by Brina (new)

Brina Yay! I’m glad you enjoyed So Long a Letter. It was moving. I’m most intrigued by your Croatia (Serbian?) selection and wondering if I can get it in English.

message 22: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Many of the good ones came from this group. I had never heard about some of them before. So, I have all of you to thank for them. A couple of them were from another group. So, becoming more active on goodreads has really been good for me.

message 23: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 237 comments Brina wrote: "Yay! I’m glad you enjoyed So Long a Letter. It was moving. I’m most intrigued by your Croatia (Serbian?) selection and wondering if I can get it in English."

Brina, A Tomb for Boris Davidovich by Danilo Kiš.

Jehona and I come from the same region, though not sure if it's the same country. :)

message 24: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Brina wrote: "Yay! I’m glad you enjoyed So Long a Letter. It was moving. I’m most intrigued by your Croatia (Serbian?) selection and wondering if I can get it in English."

I suppose you can call it Yugoslavia, since it is pre 1990. The author is Serbian, the prize Croatian. I was born in Croatia and I consider it my country although I left when I was 2, when the war started.

It was translated to English. It is very nicely written, very poetic, though I don't know how much of it was preserved in translation.
Here is a link to amazon https://www.amazon.com/Davidovich-Eas...

message 25: by Brina (new)

Brina Thanks. I read a Serbian book last month. When the Pumpkins Blossomed by Mihailovic. If I can find this one you list in English, I will try it as I’m always intrigued to read books from other regions when I can.

message 26: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Jehona wrote: "BINGO!"

Congrats to you.

message 27: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments Way to go, Jehona!

Shirley (stampartiste) | 791 comments Congratulations, Jehona! My, you have read some terrific books! Do you have any favorites?

message 29: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Thanks!

message 30: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Shirley (stampartiste) wrote: "Congratulations, Jehona! My, you have read some terrific books! Do you have any favorites?"

Foucault's Pendulum and A Doll's House

message 31: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments Congrats Jehona!

I've read Foucault's pendulum and Doll's House is on my to read list. Maybe I'll manage to move it up the list now.

message 32: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 182 comments Petrichor wrote: "Congrats Jehona!

I've read Foucault's pendulum and Doll's House is on my to read list. Maybe I'll manage to move it up the list now."

Thanks! It's quite short. You don't need much time for it.

message 33: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3291 comments Mod
Congratulations on your Bingo!!