Addicted to YA discussion

Recommendations > Help with YA books on growing up

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ares (new)

Ares Hi, my name is Ares Navarro and I am working on my research project for my master's degree. My topic is how contemporary non-fantasy ya literature portrays how teenagers see growing up (as something terrible, positive, to prepare for, to avoid...). And I was wondering if you or someone you know may know about some titles that would fit in the category for me to analyse. I understand it may be too much trouble for you, but just a title or two, or maybe a web were I could find some ideas would help me a lot.
Thank you very much in advance,

Ares

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rhappe13) | 8 comments Hi Ares! That sounds like an interesting project. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell seems like something you might be able to use. It is about a girl who has always been best friends with her twin sister, but once they go to college their relationship starts to fall apart. The main character has to learn how to live for herself as she grows up, including making her own friends, pursuing a romantic relationship, trying to figure out what she wants to pursue with her education, and navigating a rocky relationship with her mother. She thinks about growing up a lot throughout the book. I hope this helps!

message 3: by Ares (new)

Ares Rachel wrote: "Hi Ares! That sounds like an interesting project. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell seems like something you might be able to use. It is about a girl who has always been best friends with h..."

Thank you very much!! I will look into it right now!

message 4: by Daring (new)

Daring Diane | 2 comments The Bullied Boy three book series is a fictional story following several high school students as they deal with real world problems in high school. The bullying examples the stories are based on come from real experiences involving family and their schools. Other books by the same author deal with coming of age and love in high school and college settings.

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 498 comments You might like Geekerella, it does have some fanasty, but it mainly about this girl who grew up a geek in a house with a bunch of drama queens, and she has to hide who she is and what she likes

message 6: by Kyra (new)

Kyra | 86 comments I'd suggest First & Then by Emma Mills. It talks a lot about growing up, college, and college applications.