The YA Book Club discussion

Book Recommendations > Help with YA books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ares (new)

Ares Hi, my name is Ares Navarro and I am working on my research project for my master's degree. My topic is how contemporary non-fantasy ya literature portrays how teenagers see growing up (as something terrible, positive, to prepare for, to avoid...). And I was wondering if you or someone you know may know about some titles that would fit in the category for me to analyse. I understand it may be too much trouble for you, but just a title or two, or maybe a web were I could find some ideas would help me a lot.
Thank you very much in advance,

Ares

message 2: by Gina (new)

Gina Try stuff by Ellen Hopkins.

message 3: by Ares (new)

Ares Gina wrote: "Try stuff by Ellen Hopkins."

Thank you! I will look for some of her books

message 4: by Gina (new)

Gina Also try Jenny Han, Patrick Ness, John Marsden, and Kasie West.

message 5: by Stafford (new)

Stafford (staffordbetty) | 2 comments Ares, my new YA novel Ghost Boy might be just what you are looking for. Here is the description on Amazon:

Seventh grader Ben Conover sees people no one else can see. When he confides in his best friend, it's not long before smart phones start lighting up with text messages as the air cackles with gossip and he becomes known in school as the 'Ghost Boy'. Home has become a battle ground between his Mum's acceptance and his Dad's disapproval. Ben desperately seeks his father's approval, and wants to be like a regular twelve-year-old. But he doesn't want to break free from his spirit friend, Abby, who shows up when he is in danger or about to do something wrong. She somehow guides him and he has grown very fond of her. Will Ben's father accept his son's psychic gifts? Can he persuade his father that spirits are real and not just hallucinations? And who exactly is Abby? This story works for all ages, but I intended it for ages 12-16. Let me know if you like it. Stafford Betty

message 6: by Lina (new)

Lina | 539 comments Try books from authors like Sarah Dessen, Jenny Han, Rainbow Rowell, Jennifer Niven.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the City of Bones series best books ever or Harry Potter

message 8: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Jessica Verdi I have read two books by her one is teen pregnacy from the boy's viewpoint and the other is called and she was a teenage girl finds out her mother is transgender ( she was once her father )

message 9: by Jade (new)

Jade Browne (jadeb248) | 41 comments Ares wrote: "Hi, my name is Ares Navarro and I am working on my research project for my master's degree. My topic is how contemporary non-fantasy ya literature portrays how teenagers see growing up (as somethin..."

Kasie West
Most Likely to Succeed