Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Lady Osbaldestone and the Missing Christmas Carols (3 stars)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2504 comments The fun second instalment of what’s obviously intended as a Christmas series. Lady Osbaldestone is back with the cast of characters from last year’s ‘Christmas Goose’ story and a few newcomers besides.

I enjoyed reading it but it didn’t quite match up to the original, until the last quarter of the book when there’s a little more action and various ideas take on a clearer shape. Lady Osbaldestone herself takes rather more of a back seat in this episode, which is a shame but she comes satisfyingly into her own towards the end. The premise - a hunt for a book of carols which has gone missing - is a little thin to carry the weight of the action (it gets rather repetitive) but there’s some nice character development along the way. Forget about plausibility - just go with the ride.

So much better than Stephanie Laurens’ usual fare. I’m definitely in for next year’s episode!

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Ahhh, this is the second installment. I need to be sure to read the first one.

message 3: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2504 comments I four-starred the first one. It was lovely!

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 7426 comments 'Forget about plausibility - just go with the ride.'

That's the perfect description! I too just read this and thought it not quite up to the first for much of it. I'm thinking she had a minimum page count to hit, and the story did not lend itself to it? Who knows.