Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > Beta read - Crush - a short story

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica O'Toole (jayotee) | 34 comments Hi all,

I'm looking for a few readers interested in "Crush" a short (approx 4k) short story, rom-com focused around a supermarket. It's an adaptation of a short rom-com script I wrote about ten years back, that I thought would make a cute prose story, before I move on to adapting my longer ones...

Would love to get some feedback from rom-com fans (or not fans!). Please let me know if you are interested.

Many thanks :)

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Kelly | 12 comments I would be happy to read it. This will be my first as a Beta Reader, so I am not sure how the process works.
Ellen

message 3: by AJ (new)

AJ | 2 comments Hi Jessica,

I've just finished up a couple of different projects and would love to get stuck into a little romance :)

I'd be happy to beta read your short story.

Anneliese

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica O'Toole (jayotee) | 34 comments Ellen wrote: "I would be happy to read it. This will be my first as a Beta Reader, so I am not sure how the process works.
Ellen"

Many thanks for your offer, Ellen! I can send you a docx or PDF (or epub if you prefer).

Basically, I'm looking for readability, character structure (whether you do/don't like them and why), and whether the story is well-rounded, does/doesn't work.

As it's a short, the structure is never usually as deep as a novel, but if you think it's lacking too much in depth then feel free to say so.

I rarely write short stories, it's a very different skill, so I'm looking for clues to my week points in this style. And as I adapted it from a script, it might well be lacking in depth in needs.

Let me know, and send me a PM with your email and I can send it over. :)

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica O'Toole (jayotee) | 34 comments Anneliese wrote: "Hi Jessica,

I've just finished up a couple of different projects and would love to get stuck into a little romance :)

I'd be happy to beta read your short story.

Anneliese"

Many thanks Anneliese, what format would you prefer? It's not deeply romantic, it's got a comedy counter-balance (well, I hope it comes off as comedy... XD), but hopefully that won't put you off.

message 6: by AJ (new)

AJ | 2 comments A rom-com (with emphasis on the comedy) sounds even better.

I look forward to reading it! Could you send me a PDF version and a docx version?

You can send it to thewanderweb@gmail.com

Also, could you let me know in the email what sort of feedback you are specifically looking for?

Thanks,
Anneliese

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica O'Toole (jayotee) | 34 comments Anneliese wrote: "A rom-com (with emphasis on the comedy) sounds even better.

I look forward to reading it! Could you send me a PDF version and a docx version?

You can send it to thewanderweb@gmail.com

Also, coul..."

I'll be in touch later today, when I'm home, and sort this out for you :)