Elyse's Personal Readathon Tracking discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
January 2019 Readathons > Bout of Books 24 - Jan 7-13, 2019

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elyse (last edited Dec 10, 2018 07:33AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 158 comments Bout of Books 24 sign-up!

message 2: by Elyse (last edited Jan 10, 2019 05:18AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 158 comments Day 1
Challenge: #insixwords

Love everything to do with books

Currently reading (started today):
The Golden Tresses of the Dead (Flavia de Luce #10) by Alan Bradley A Mortal Likeness (Victorian Mystery, #2) by Laura Joh Rowland (audio)

message 3: by Elyse (last edited Jan 10, 2019 05:18AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 158 comments Day 2
Challenge: Character dinner party
You are hosting an intimate dinner party for five of your favorite characters. Who do you invite and what food do you serve?

Umm wow. Five favorite characters? I have no idea!! Katniss (Hunger Games), Tris (Divergent), Elder and Amy (Across the Universe), and Dumbledore (Harry Potter)! lol. That's messed up. I'm serving crab cakes, lobster dinner and shrimp cocktail, and cheesecake for dessert. IDK.

Currently reading:
The Golden Tresses of the Dead (Flavia de Luce #10) by Alan Bradley A Mortal Likeness (Victorian Mystery, #2) by Laura Joh Rowland (audio)

message 4: by Elyse (last edited Jan 10, 2019 06:03AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 158 comments Day 3
Challenge: Six degrees of separation from Bout to Books
Find an original way to connect the two words (Bout and Books) through six books.

Jude was ready for the BOUT with The Cruel Prince, Cardan. She knew he would make a Wicked King and she couldn't help hating him. He was cruel, malicious, awful. And she was only mortal. But she would change all of the BOOKS, all of The Lost Stories. She would make her own way. She would pay her Tithe and get her power. Jude met Cardan in The Darkest Part of the Forest. She would be Valiant.

I didn't really understand this one. Ah well! Can you tell I've been reading Holly Black?

Finished:
A Mortal Likeness (Victorian Mystery, #2) by Laura Joh Rowland (audio)
Currently reading:
The Golden Tresses of the Dead (Flavia de Luce #10) by Alan Bradley The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2) by Holly Black Cosmos A Personal Voyage by Carl Sagan (audio)

message 5: by Elyse (last edited Jan 10, 2019 05:35AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 158 comments Day 4
Challenge: Synopsis Rewrite
Take a favorite book and re-write the synopsis (book description) from the point of view of the non-main character/focus. e.g. Harry Potter from the view of Draco, The Hunger Games from the view of Peeta.

Skipping this one unless I think of something. Not very good at book summaries and I don't want to do their examples! lol.

Finished:
A Mortal Likeness (Victorian Mystery, #2) by Laura Joh Rowland (audio)
Currently reading:
The Golden Tresses of the Dead (Flavia de Luce #10) by Alan Bradley The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2) by Holly Black Cosmos A Personal Voyage by Carl Sagan (audio)

message 6: by Elyse (last edited Jan 11, 2019 06:06AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 158 comments Day 5
Challenge: If you like this, try that
Put your recommendations hat on, #boutofbooks-ers. For this challenge, pick a book, author, or trope (or whatever!) from your TBR and suggest similar books.
Example 1: If you like Sarah McLean, try Lenora Bell.
Example 2: If you like a modern day, romantic twist on Greek mythology, try Staci Hart's Hearts and Arrows series.

* If you like Victorian mystery books, try Laura Joh Rowland's Victorian Mystery series or Deanna Raybourn's Veronica Speedwell series.
* If you like faeries, try Holly Black's Tithe series or Folk of the Air series or Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series.
* If you like teenage sleuths, try Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series.

Finished:
A Mortal Likeness (Victorian Mystery, #2) by Laura Joh Rowland (audio) Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5) by Bethany Griffin
Currently reading:

message 7: by Elyse (last edited Jan 12, 2019 06:55AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 158 comments Day 6
Challenge: Dream cast
Share your dream cast for a book that hasn't been adapted yet, e.g Six of Crows, A Darker Shade of Magic, The Cruel Prince

This is something I don't really think about because I'm mostly on team no adaptations. No one can get it better than my head can. lol. I could see Emma Watson as Veronica Speedwell (Deanna Raybourn) though! A smart, sassy, young woman who loves mysteries! But who would play Stoker? I have no idea. Someone gruffly handsome, rugged, in his early 30's or looks to be in his early 30's. I could see someone like Luke Evans as Lord Templeton-Vane because he's prissier/cleaner/more polished than Stoker.

Finished:
A Mortal Likeness (Victorian Mystery, #2) by Laura Joh Rowland (audio) Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5) by Bethany Griffin Six Earlier Days (Every Day #0.5) by David Levithan
Currently reading:

message 8: by Elyse (last edited Jan 13, 2019 03:13PM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 158 comments Day 7
Challenge: Stretch Goal
It's the last day of the readathon, so today's challenge is to take a look at the goals you set for the week (if you have them) and decide a) how you can stretch yourself to complete them or b) how you can revise them so you can meet them. Because yes, you can revise your goals! If you didn't set goals for the week, set a small one for yourself today!

I didn't set any goals for this readathon but my goals for today are to finish listening to Cosmos A Personal Voyage by Carl Sagan, I have 4 hours left, and to read at least half of The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1) by Roshani Chokshi because my review is due by Tuesday, pub day!

I lost 3 hours this morning by getting a migraine as soon as I woke up. :( Thought I caught it in time with drugs so I made coffee, took the dogs out, but it didn't go away so I took a hot shower and went back to bed. I'm better now and ready to read!
On a personal goal note, I have LOTS of laundry to do! lol

Finished:
A Mortal Likeness (Victorian Mystery, #2) by Laura Joh Rowland (audio) Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5) by Bethany Griffin Six Earlier Days (Every Day #0.5) by David Levithan The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2) by Holly Black Beauty (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #20.5) by Laurell K. Hamilton Dancing (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #22.5) by Laurell K. Hamilton The Golden Tresses of the Dead (Flavia de Luce #10) by Alan Bradley
Currently reading:
Cosmos A Personal Voyage by Carl Sagan (audio) The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1) by Roshani Chokshi (started today)

message 9: by Elyse (last edited Jan 14, 2019 05:03AM) (new)

Elyse (weezie40er) | 158 comments Wrapping it up!

Daily challenges done: 6
Books read completely:
Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5) by Bethany Griffin Six Earlier Days (Every Day #0.5) by David Levithan The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2) by Holly Black Beauty (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #20.5) by Laurell K. Hamilton Dancing (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #22.5) by Laurell K. Hamilton The Golden Tresses of the Dead (Flavia de Luce #10) by Alan Bradley
Books listened completely:
A Mortal Likeness (Victorian Mystery, #2) by Laura Joh Rowland Cosmos A Personal Voyage by Carl Sagan
Books started:
The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1) by Roshani Chokshi (read 76 pgs)
Total pages read: 1,661!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.