Doctor Who: The Library of Carsus discussion

The Greatest Show Discussion > The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos -- SPOILERS POSSIBLE!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1169 comments Well, it's all over. And I loved it. What a great season. Whittaker was fantastic and I enjoyed every episode. Particularly who this season felt new and fresh again. Something that hasn't been present for about least six years.

Now I can't wait for the New Year's Special. :D

message 2: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1169 comments This episode I found particular interesting in that (view spoiler) But it fell in line with the notion that the new showrunner was basically restarting the show. All new monsters, all new threats, all new locations and challenges (or rather types of challenges). And then when we find something that sticks with the fans, we'll bring it back. (view spoiler). In any case, I did feel like this episode continued in the vein of an all new launch for a new Doctor, with new threats, etc.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 180 comments Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the season/series. I thought Jodie was fantastic and they handled the gender change very nicely without making it stick out. The occasional humorous reference to it kept it in the forefront but it was never a big "hey look I'm a girl now" thing. I like the "fam" of companions. Gives a bit of homage to the beginnings of the show with Susan, Barbara and Ian. I also like that they are actually traveling with the doctor and not being dropped off home after every adventure like Clara and Bill were.

There were some things I didn't like the villain that Rick mentions in his spoiler section I didn't care for. The final episode I still liked but there were several other episodes that were much better.

I also like the brush with history episodes. I was worried at first when I saw the previews for the Rosa Parks episode. It had a bit of the PC preaching as expected but it wasn't so saturated with it to spoil the episode. I liked it when I thought it was going to be one I would be disgusted with forever.

message 4: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1169 comments CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian wrote: "... I like the "fam" of companions. Gives a bit of homage to the beginnings of the show with Susan, Barbara and Ian. ... "

I couldn't agree more. :D

message 5: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1297 comments As an episode, it was pretty good, as a season finale, it was a letdown.

The big reveal is (Dum-da-dum!) a character that nobody really cared if we ever saw again.

So much stuff that felt slapped on, or just made little sense. The psycho-tropic energy wave that...causes headaches and a slight dizziness...a few references to touch back to previous episodes, but that had little impact on the story.

I loved this season, but the quiet world building Chibnall and company did, should have resulted in something better.
It always felt like he was creating a little corner of the universe, that even if there wasn't an arc we were at least going somewhere and the result was, nah, not really.

With the drama build up, and conflict with Graham and the quick cuts back and forth, I really expected this was going to end on a cliffhanger that would get resolved in the special, but nope, instead we get a rushed ending and earth was in danger for a minute and a half.

Shame that this is the only stumble in the season, as it was a big one.
There better be an Ice Warrior or some Sontarions in the special.

The good news: The stuff with Graham was perfect.
All the stuff with the Tardis crew ( Yeah, I'm not doing 'fam') was solid and made me willing to forgive the stuff the just didn't work.

Still love this Doctor and this team, and this was still one of the more consistently well written seasons.

message 6: by CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (last edited Dec 17, 2018 07:52AM) (new)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 180 comments "As an episode, it was pretty good, as a season finale, it was a letdown."

I totally agree on that point and about the returning baddie. I certainly didn't like him the first time he appeared and was disappointed by his second appearance.

message 7: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1169 comments Travis wrote: "A... Still love this Doctor and this team, and this was still one of the more consistently well written seasons. "

Agreed. :)