2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Murder on Lexington Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #12)
This topic is about Murder on Lexington Avenue

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7619 comments Mod
Let’s talk about Electra...

Do you believe she set out from the start to manipulate Adam into killing her father? Was she ever in love with him? Was her plan to set up Adam diabolical or just plain clever? Did you ever have any sense that there was another side to her? Your overall opinion of this girl?

Robin (robinmy) | 1213 comments At first I thought she was a spoiled brat. Her father had ideas that she didn't agree with. Then when she would turn away from direct questions like she hadn't understood that someone was talking to her, I figured she was behind the murders. She knew her father wouldn't change his mind so she decided to use Adam and his infatuation with her to get rid of him.

Phrynne | 601 comments She seems in the end to be her mother's daughter. Manipulative, egotistical and generally not nice.

Agree with you both. She IS Valora’s daughter, through and through. She’s scary.

I do believe she decided to manipulate Adam from the onset. I didn’t believe her when she said she stopped feeling for him when he killed her brother. This was her plan all along (maybe not to kill Leander).

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I didn't see through to her manipulations to commit murder, but her elation to hear her dad was dead stunned me. After this, I was along for the read, but did not solve either murder.

~ Giulia ~ | 193 comments I thought she was just a spoiled brat until the end, which surprised me. It turns out she really is her parents daughter (Valora is a piece of work, but her father wasn't a pleasant man either). I'd almost feel bad for Adam if he wasn't equally selfish, murderous and manipulative.

Thanks for the reminder about the father, Giulia. Just because he was killed doesn’t excuse his behavior while he was alive.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Phrynne wrote: "She seems in the end to be her mother's daughter. Manipulative, egotistical and generally not nice."

Agreed!

Electra does come off as childish and spoiled at first, but there is an underlying menace to her actions. That said, I'm not sure if she consciously manipulated Adam into killing her father ... in the end, he killed him in a rage not because he was following Electra's plans.