Women of the World discussion

Group Reads > Monthly Authors: 2019

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty (last edited May 24, 2019 02:04AM) (new)

Kirsty (kirstyonbooks) | 427 comments Mod
Following all of your great suggestions posted in the 'Monthly Authors?' thread, I have generated the following list, using a random number generator, for 2019. We will be focusing on each of these authors in turn, and if you wish to join in, you can read and comment upon any of their published work in the appropriate thread.

If you do not have time to join in during a particular month, the discussion threads will remain open indefinitely, so feel free to add your thoughts whenever suits.

January - Janet McNeill
February - Kathy Page
March - Sybille Bedford
April - Vita Sackville-West
May - Barbara Gowdy
June - Alice Munro
July - Shirley Jackson
August - Kay Boyle
September - Claire Messud
October - Helen Humphreys
November - Mildred Walker
December - Elizabeth Harrower

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (cloudbusting) Great list , thanks Kirsty!

message 3: by Kirsty (new)

No problem, Andrea; thanks so much for your wonderful contributions!

message 4: by Kirsty (new)

I have a quick question about these monthly authors. I've had some feedback that the books are often difficult to source, so would it be better to revise this list with more up-to-date authors? I'd like to encourage as much participation as is possible in the group, and it's disheartening to think that some people are not joining in with discussions because they're having trouble finding corresponding books.

message 5: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 79 comments Perhaps we could do both. Have a more up to date authors list and more harder to find one.

message 6: by Kirsty (new)

Thank you for the feedback, Carrie. I do like the idea of having perhaps a more classic list alongside a contemporary one, but realise that reading three books per month for an online book club is a big commitment! I’ve had the idea of having bi-monthly authors next year; we could choose an older and more contemporary writer for each two month period, and see how we get on with that. Does that sound like a good step?

message 7: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 79 comments That also sounds like it could work. When I mentioned the two lists, it could be a read either or, or both if one wanted to do so. Like book one, and older/classic book option two a newer/easier to find plan b book if the first couldn't be found.

message 8: by Kirsty (new)

Yes, that’s a good idea - thanks Carrie. I’m going to keep the list as it is for this year to stop any confusion, but from next year I think we’ll go with two bimonthly authors.