Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Book Club Selection > January 2019 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 3977 comments Mod
Nominations are now open for the January Group Reads and will close on 16th December 2018 at midnight GMT. Voting will then be from 17th to 23rd December 2018 inclusive.

General Rules for Group Reads

1: You may nominate Two books, one in each category (1. Group Main Read, 2.Group Value Read)

2. Value books must be £4 ($5.30) or less and will also be added from the freebies board or good finds.

3) If your nomination wins - you will be asked to be the discussion leader.

4) No self-nominations by authors please.

5) Please try not to repeat an author we have read in the last year, for the sake of variety. Check our bookshelves to see the authors we've read in the past year. Our bookshelf is at:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

6) For your nomination please try and include Title, Author and Link (Use the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box).

7) Please ensure your nomination is a British Mystery. Please see the thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... for what is considered a British Mystery if you are unsure.

If you nominate a book that is part of a series please be sure that it can be read as a standalone for those members that may not have read the other books in the series.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 173 comments I nominate The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle (US title - in the UK it is the 7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, I believe) by Stuart Turton as a main read. It's been sitting in my TBR since publication last year and I think it's time has come (for me, at least).

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton

Link to US site: The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 569 comments An Occupied Grave

It's $3.99 in Canada (1.99 GBP) so would fall under Value Read category

a new series. When mourners gather in the village of Lower Gladdock, the grave is found to be already occupied. The victim is soon linked to a tragedy that tore the village apart five years ago, and the case is handed over to the Bexford police to solve.

Detective Sergeant Guy Poole is hoping to put his traumatic past behind him and settle into his new station at Bexford. Now history is threatening to raise its head again, and he has a murder case to contend with.

Detective Inspector Sam Brock has a new recruit to take under his wing, and he’s determined this one isn’t going to die. As if that wasn’t enough of a headache, his wife is coming home and may be on the verge of discovering the lie he’s been telling her.

Newly paired duo Brock & Poole must track down the killer before more lives are lost.

message 4: by David (new)

Beth wrote: "An Occupied Grave (A Brock & Poole Mystery, #1) by A.G. Barnett

It's $3.99 in Canada (1.99 GBP) so would fall under Value Read category

a new series. When mourners gather in the village of Lower Gladdock, the grave is found t..."

Ok it is £1.99 on Kindle in UK - Link is https://amzn.to/2LdcIsz

It is a value read then unless in US it is some extreme amount.

message 5: by David (new)

Mary wrote: "I nominate The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle (US title - in the UK it is the 7 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, I believe) by Stuart Turton as a main read. It's been sitting in my TBR since publica..."

Ok this one is £2.82 on Kindle in UK - Link Is https://amzn.to/2C8Y0Qm

message 6: by David (new)

For the main read I will nominate
The House Swap by Rebecca Fleet
The House Swap by Rebecca Fleet.

Blurb....
When Caroline and Francis receive an offer to house swap, they jump at the chance for a week away from home. After the difficulties of the past few years, they’ve worked hard to rebuild their marriage for their son’s sake; now they want to reconnect as a couple.

On arrival, they find a house that is stark and sinister in its emptiness – it’s hard to imagine what kind of person lives here. Then, gradually, Caroline begins to uncover some signs of life – signs of her life. The flowers in the bathroom or the music in the CD player might seem innocent to her husband but to her they are anything but. It seems the person they have swapped with is someone she used to know; someone she’s desperate to leave in her past.

But that person is now in her home – and they want to make sure she’ll never forget . . ."

£4.99 in UK - Link is https://amzn.to/2PCL5JK

message 7: by David (new)

My Value Read nomination is

29 Seconds by T.M. Logan
29 Seconds by TM Logan

Blurb.....
"What if a single 29 second phonecall could change your life forever? 'Give me one name. One person. And I will make them disappear . . .'

When Sarah rescues a young girl in trouble, she expects nothing in return. But her act of bravery puts a powerful and dangerous man in her debt. He lives by his own brutal code, and all debts must be repaid - in the only way he knows how.

He offers Sarah a way to solve a desperate situation with her intolerable boss. A once-in-a-lifetime deal that will make all her problems disappear.

No consequences. No comeback. No chance of being found out.

All it takes is a 29 second phone call.

BECAUSE EVERYONE HAS A NAME TO GIVE. DON'T THEY?
"

99 pence on Kindle in UK - Link is https://amzn.to/2Ccva1z

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 173 comments This doesn't appear as a Kindle option in the US but paperback purchase options from Amazon 3rd party vendors and ebay are available. I really liked Lies so have ordered it from the UK anyway.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 173 comments David wrote: "For the main read I will nominate
The House Swap by Rebecca Fleet
The House Swap by Rebecca Fleet.

Blurb....
When Caroline and Francis receive an offer to house swap, they jump at the chance f..."

US Kindle is available @ 12.99

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 569 comments 29 seconds is not available in kindle format in Canada either. 🇨🇦

message 11: by David (new)

Right so nominations are closed and the final books are:-

Main Read:
1: The House Swap by Rebecca Fleet - nominated by David

Value Read:
1: 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton - nominated by Mary
2: An Occupied Grave by A.G.Barnett - nominated by Beth
3: 29 Seconds by TM Logan - nominated by David

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 554 comments Mod
So glad you chose The House Swap. I listened to it last summer on audio and liked it.

message 13: by Erunyauve (new)

Erunyauve | 168 comments I'll be reading The House Swap, as well, but I need to read the book for my real-life book club first (Small, Great Things by Jodi Picoult - it's rather long, and our meeting is the 12th).

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 173 comments Bill wrote: "So glad you chose The House Swap. I listened to it last summer on audio and liked it."

Erunyauve wrote: "I'll be reading The House Swap, as well, but I need to read the book for my real-life book club first (Small, Great Things by Jodi Picoult - it's rather long, and our meeting is the 12th)."

Your post made me smile. My IRL book club book was also long (The Great Alone) and our meeting is on the 15th, so I read it like crazy to finish in time to begin our January reads. Tough when IRL gets in the way, isn't it?