Historical Romance Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Gaol/Nominations > February, 2019 Nominations- Mail Order Bride

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Priya (last edited Dec 09, 2018 11:22PM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Ladies, I apologize for posting this thread late.

For the month of February, we are reading HRs featuring a Mail Order Bride.

Rules of Nominations :

Not more than 2 nominations per member
No book we have read as a group read in the last 2 yrs (Please check the group's bookshelf).

A list to help you:

Mail Order Brides
Western Historical Mail order Bride Romances
Love Inspired: Mail order brides

Nominations end on 20th December, 2018

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 234 comments I nominate Texas Destiny by Lorraine Heath.

message 3: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4060 comments Mod
I nominate A Chance at Love. Have been wanting to try Jenkins and my library has most of her books.

message 4: by Jultri (new)

Jultri | 407 comments I nominate The Heart Breaker, which broke me when I read it a few years ago. Second nomination is a hard one and a toss up between a Jo Goodman book and Kaki Warner. I'll go with the latter's Heartbreak Creek, as I feel she deserves wider recognition, whereas Jo Goodman is fairly well known in both her Western and Regency genres.

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1968 comments I'll nominate The Endearment by LaVyrle Spencer. The Endearment by LaVyrle Spencer

I know it's been around a while, but I've been rereading some of Ms Spencer's historicals and they haven't really dated. She is a beautiful writer.

In this one, Karl Lindstrom, a young Swedish immigrant building his farm in the harsh Minnesota wilderness, needs a bride to be his helpmeet as well as to stave off the loneliness. But when Anna arrives from Boston, things aren't quite what either of them expected!

Karl is so patient with Anna, and the story unfolds beautifully as their love develops.

If it wins the vote, I just might have to do a reread :)

message 6: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Jan130 wrote: "I'll nominate The Endearment by LaVyrle Spencer. The Endearment by LaVyrle Spencer

I know it's been around a while, but I've been rereading some of Ms Spencer's historicals and they ..."

This was my first Spencer book. I will re-read if this wins.

message 7: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments Jan130 wrote: "I'll nominate The Endearment by LaVyrle Spencer. The Endearment by LaVyrle Spencer

I know it's been around a while, but I've been rereading some of Ms Spencer's historicals and they ..."

I will read literally anything by LaVryle Spencer. I was going to nominate this as well, so I shall second this!!

message 8: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2261 comments Melissa and Joanna, I second both your nominations.

I just read The Endearment last month and enjoyed it very much.

message 9: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (englishmajorloser) | 2 comments I 100% second Melissa's nomination of Texas Destiny!!!

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1968 comments I'm trying to think of another book I can nominate, and I realised I just haven't read that many mail order bride books. I like the trope though, and I'll probably join the read when February rolls around.

message 11: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mail Order Bride Polls are open.

Voting ends on 2nd January, 2019.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.