Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Kathleen's 2019 Classic Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 132 (132 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kathleen (last edited Dec 31, 2019 06:34PM) (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments ✓B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic: The Dialogue of the Dogs, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra. Finished 12/30/19 ★★★★
✓B2: Book Chosen by the Cover The Cellist of Sarajevo, Steven Galloway. Finished 2/4/19 ★★★★
✓B3: European Classic: The Wife, Sigrid Undset Finished 12/28/19 ★★★★
✓B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List Eugene Onegin, Alexander Pushkin. Finished 3/18/19 ★★
✓B5: 20th Century Classic The Street, Ann Petry Finished 1/21/19 ★★★★★

✓I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019 Dracula, Bram Stoker Finished 5/6/19 ★★★★
✓I2: New-to-You Author The Maltese Falcon, Dashiell Hammett Finished 2/18/19 ★★★★
✓I3: Classic Play The Lion in Winter, James Goldman Finished 12/21/19 ★★★★★
✓I4: Literary Prize of Your Country Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck Finished 7/22/19 ★★★★★
✓I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year Down and Out in Paris and London, George Orwell Finished 4/1/19 ★★★★★

✓N1: South American Classic The Motorcycle Diaries: Notes on a Latin American Journey, Ernesto Che Guevara Finished 3/12/19 ★★★★
✓N2: Short Story Collection Scenes of Clerical Life, George Eliot Finished 6/17/19 ★★★★★
✓N3: FREE SPACE A Fine Balance, Rohinton Mistry Finished 10/27/19 ★★★★★
✓N4: Poetry or Essay Collection The Eye of the Story: Selected Essays and Reviews, Eudora Welty Finished 8/26/19 ★★★★
✓N5: Asian Classic The Book of Tea, Kakuzō Okakura Finished 1/28/19 ★★★★

✓G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize The Sea and the Bells, Pablo Neruda Finished 2/21/19 ★★★★★
✓G2: Classic By a Female Author The Dispossessed, Ursula K. Le Guin Finished 7/20/19 ★★★★★
✓G3: Classic Non-fiction The Great Railway Bazaar, Paul Theroux Finished 8/11/19 ★★★
✓G4: Written by Nobel Laureate Sula, Toni Morrison Finished 8/28/19 ★★★★★
✓G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf The Postman Always Rings Twice, James M. Cain Finished 1/13/19 ★★★★

✓O1: 19th Century Classic Adam Bede, George Eliot Finished 11/18/19 ★★★★
✓O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy Sir Gawain and the Green Knight: A New Verse Translation, Unknown Finished 4/8/19 ★★★★★
✓O3: Classic Comedy or Satire A Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde Finished 12/31/19 ★★★★
✓O4: Classic Romance Brideshead Revisited: The Sacred and Profane Memories of Captain Charles Ryder by Evelyn Waugh Finished 7/1/19 ★★★★★
✓O5: 21st Century Potential Classic Men We Reaped, Jesmyn Ward Finished 3/11/19 ★★★★★

BINGO BY COVERS
The Dialogue of the Dogs by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra Dracula by Bram Stoker The Motorcycle Diaries Notes on a Latin American Journey by Ernesto Che Guevara The Sea and the Bells by Pablo Neruda Adam Bede by George Eliot
The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett Scenes of Clerical Life by George Eliot The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin Sir Gawain and the Green Knight A New Verse Translation by Unknown
The Wife (Kristin Lavransdatter, #2) by Sigrid Undset The Lion in Winter by James Goldman A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux A Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde
Eugene Onegin A Novel in Verse by Alexander Pushkin Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck The Eye of the Story Selected Essays and Reviews by Eudora Welty Sula by Toni Morrison Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
The Street by Ann Petry Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward

message 2: by Kathleen (last edited Jan 01, 2019 08:24PM) (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Possibilities

B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic: Dialog of the Dogs, Miguel De Cervantez
B2: Book Chosen by the Cover
B3: European Classic: The Wife, Sigrid Undset
B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List:
Go Tell It on the Mountain
Eugene Onegin
A Passage to India
The Portrait of a Lady
B5: 20th Century Classic: The Street, Ann Petry

I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019: Out of Africa, Isak Dinesen
I2: New-to-You Author
I3: Classic Play: The Lion in Winter, James Goldman
I4: Literary Prize of Your Country
The Keepers of the House (Pullitzer)
The Shipping News (Pulitzer)
The Grapes of Wrath (Pulitzer)
I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year: Down and Out in Paris and London, George Orwell

N1: South American Classic: Eva Luna, Isabel Allende
Epitaph of a Small Winner
The Feast of the Goat
N2: Short Story Collection
Scenes of Clerical Life
N3: FREE SPACE
N4: Poetry or Essay Collection
N5: Asian Classic
The Waiting Years
A Pale View of Hills

G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize
Oscar and Lucinda (Booker
The Steppe (1888 Pushkin Prize)
Pablo Neruda (1945 Natl Prize for Lit-Chile)
G2: Classic By a Female Author
G3: Classic Non-fiction: The Great Railway Bazaar, Paul Theroux
A People's History of the United States
G4: Written by Nobel Laureate: The Grass is Singing, Doris Lessing
G5: Book from the Group's 2019 Bookshelf: The Postman Always Rings Twice, James M. Cain

O1: 19th Century Classic: Adam Bede, George Eliot
O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy: A Wizard of Earthsea, Ursula K. Le Guin
O3: Classic Comedy or Satire: My Man Jeeves, P.G. Wodehouse
O4: Classic Romance
O5: 21st Century Potential Classic

message 3: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2627 comments Have fun with your challenge, Kathleen! You have a good start so far :)

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Thank you, Terris--I'm sure I will have fun! :-)

My plan is to keep this really open and fill it in as I go. But I have to make sure not to wait too long in the year (*ahem*, like I did this year).

message 5: by Kathleen (last edited Jan 01, 2019 08:28PM) (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Adding lots of possibilities. Feeling overwhelmed with all the books I still want to read.

∞×∞ … !

message 6: by Ila (new)

Ila | 399 comments All the best Kathleen!

message 7: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9559 comments Mod
Good luck and enjoy your challenge, Kathleen.

message 8: by Lotte (new)

Lotte | 196 comments So many options! I hope you make some great discoveries. Looking forward to your reviews.

message 9: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Thank you Ila, Katy and Lotte! Too many options, but that's a good kind of problem to have. :-)

message 10: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Good luck with your challenge! I hope you enjoy reading them all :)

message 11: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Thank you Renee!!

I started with this month's short story selection for G5: The Postman Always Rings Twice. This was fun. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I've only read a couple of other classic noir novels (Mildred Pierce and In a Lonely Place). If anyone else enjoys the genre and has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

message 12: by Jody (new)

Jody Scott | 5 comments Not really "classics" in the sense of this list, but Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett & Patricia Highsmith all come to mind.
You might enjoy this article about noir fiction, the latter half is a list of titles for each year of the 50's. https://web.archive.org/web/200910271...
Or this one, The Best Noir Books Of All-Time, at https://www.bookscrolling.com/the-bes...

message 13: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Jody wrote: "Not really "classics" in the sense of this list, but Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett & Patricia Highsmith all come to mind.
You might enjoy this article about noir fiction, the latter half is a ..."

Wow--thank you!! I learned much from that first link. One thing I didn't realize was that film noir developed totally separately from fictional noir. After reviewing these, I think I have three that I'd like to try, in this order:
Black Wings Has My Angel
The Maltese Falcon
Drive

Thanks again for this very helpful info!

message 14: by Jody (new)

Jody Scott | 5 comments You're welcome, glad the link was helpful. Enjoy!

message 15: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments For 20th Century Classic, I read The Street by Ann Petry.

This book was written in the middle of the 20th century, and yet I hadn't heard of it until recently. I can't understand why this wasn't on reading lists when I was in high school and college. It opens your mind to poverty and racism in a very personal way, and I can't help but think it would have helped somehow if more people had been reading this over the last 70 plus years since it was published.

But that's not the only reason to read it. The writing is captivating and the tension builds so that you must keep turning pages to see what's going to happen. A troubling but satisfying read. Five stars. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3220 comments Congratulations on another one done Kathleen. I have to add the Street to my list.

message 17: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2054 comments Congrats,Kathleen.

Two done.

:)

Added The Street to my TBR..

message 18: by Kathleen (last edited Jan 26, 2019 06:28AM) (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Thanks Elena, and I really hope you like it!

I went to the library yesterday and found two books for this challenge. I made a resolution to read more books on impulse, and I browsed the library shelves and found one I'd never heard of (something I haven't done much since Goodreads) and am loving it. I'll use it for B2-Book chosen by the cover. :-)

And I found my poetry collection: Pablo Neruda's The Sea and the Bells. It's like getting a box of chocolates! (Even if this collection is mostly of the bittersweet variety.)

message 19: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5494 comments Mod
That sounds so lovely. I haven't browsed the library shelves for years. I usually go in with a list. And I love chocolate--bittersweet or not. Can't wait to read your review of the Neruda.

message 20: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Thanks, Sara--it's something I used to love that it was wonderful to do again. I highly recommend it!

And I am completely infatuated with Neruda--absolutely twitterpated knowing I have this book to look forward to. :-)

message 21: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 237 comments I love Neruda! :dreamy sigh:

message 22: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Samanta wrote: "I love Neruda! :dreamy sigh:"

Ah! Glad to meet a kindred spirit, Samanta. :-)

message 23: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 237 comments :)

message 24: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Finished The Book of Tea. What a fantastic little gem. It wasn't the Asian classic I thought I would read, but it's so perfect for the category because it clarified what's behind some cultural traditions in a simple and beautiful way. A really lovely book that will change the way you see things.

Four stars. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 25: by Howard (new)

Howard P (howard_pavane) | 19 comments Kathleen, I recently joined and would very much like to participate. However I’m not exactly sure how this group operates. Is there a list of books to read, or is it up to each member to select their own reads? I noticed you have several lists of books, but I’m not sure exactly how this works.

The books I have been reading are mostly non-fiction, history, and current events. I need a change of pace and decided to go back to the classics (which I was force-read in school). Started with Beowulf, The Iliad and Odyssey. Yesterday finished reading The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

Looking forward to guidance on how to make the most of your group. Thanks.

message 26: by Howard (new)

Howard P (howard_pavane) | 19 comments One more thing, how does Bingo work?

message 27: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 767 comments Howard wrote: "One more thing, how does Bingo work?"

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This link gives you the general rules and a place to ask questions. Choose your own books. Some people fill in a card at the start and others fill in as they go through the year. You can switch out books and move them around. The most important rule is to have fun and enjoy your reads. Welcome to the group!

message 28: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9559 comments Mod
Howard wrote: "One more thing, how does Bingo work?"

Howard, I can set up a thread for your Bingo if you would like help. Feel free to ask in the Bingo questions thread or PM if you like.

message 29: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Howard wrote: "Kathleen, I recently joined and would very much like to participate. However I’m not exactly sure how this group operates. Is there a list of books to read, or is it up to each member to select the..."

Hi Howard, and welcome! It looks like you are in good hands with the above answers, and Katy's offer to set up your thread. We are a pretty easygoing group, so don't worry too much about how it works--just jump in!

You'll see in the group discussion threads that we have all kinds of things going on--group reads each month and several different types of challenges. You can participate as much or as little as you like. I hope you enjoy yourself here!

message 30: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments I wanted to fit in more impulse reads this year, so I did something I used to do often but rarely do anymore: went to the library and just looked through the shelves until something jumped out at me. I found something amazing: The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway. Apparently it was a successful novel and made into a movie, but I'd never heard of it.

So I'm using it for B2, Book chosen by the cover, because that was a large part of what drew me in.
The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway

I highly recommend this to everyone. He takes a horror and somehow makes it life-affirming. My review:https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 31: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

So glad choosing by the cover worked out so well for you. I'm trying to clear shelves this year and next year planning to read without a plan of any kind.

message 32: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Oh, clearing shelves and not planning ... two things I am terrible at. My hat is off to you, Sara!

message 33: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Well, we'll see if I can pull it off. lol.

message 34: by Kathleen (last edited Feb 18, 2019 05:44AM) (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments I finished The Maltese Falcon and decided to use it for new to me author, I2. Hammett has an interesting style. It's all action and no description, and there's a heavy emphasis on facial expressions to get across what characters are thinking/feeling. No wonder it translated so well to film!

I loved it for mostly personal reasons, as I explain in my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I have a copy of Hammett's The Thin Man, which, unlike The Maltese Falcon, is quite different from its films from what I understand. I'm hoping to read that soon.

message 35: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Kathleen wrote: "I finished The Maltese Falcon and decided to use it for new to me author, I2. Hammett has an interesting style. It's all action and no description, and there's a heavy emphasis on fac..."

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Getting a late start, but I'm hoping to start today. I have the movie to watch when I finish, so something else to look forward to. I also have The Thin Man on my shelf. I haven't read it yet, but I loved all the movies. I do need to get to it so I can see how different it is from the movie. The movies are all very fun to watch though.

message 36: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I almost started yesterday, Renee :-p. I picked it up, but only read 2 pages before I had to turn out the light and try for some sleep ;-)

message 37: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Thanks Renee--I really love those old movies. Hope you both enjoy the book!

message 38: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Thx, Kathleen! :)

message 39: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Finished The Sea and the Bells for my poetry collection. I have a new goal: to line my bookshelves with Pablo Neruda poetry, and to read one of his poems every day, forever.

So, I guess I liked it. :-) Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

♥♥ Pablo Neruda

message 40: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments :) :) :)

message 41: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments MK wrote: ":) :) :)"

;-)

message 42: by Kathleen (last edited Mar 02, 2019 06:52AM) (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Oops!

I was so dazzled by Pablo Neruda that I put The Sea and the Bells in the wrong square. I didn't mean to use it for poetry collection. I meant to use it for G1, Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize. Pablo Neruda won the National Prize for Literature in Chile in 1945, for overall quality of work.

Because it's an "overall" prize, I'm also reading Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair, one of his earliest collections. That way I'll have read the beginning and the end of his body of work (even though the prize came in the middle). I'll update when that's done, but wanted to fix this before I forgot!

message 43: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2595 comments Kathleen wrote: "Finished The Book of Tea. What a fantastic little gem. It wasn't the Asian classic I thought I would read, but it's so perfect for the category because it clarified what's behind some..."

'The Book of Tea' really is a wonderful, criminally underread classic, Kathleen. I'm glad others like you are reading it.

message 44: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Thanks Aubrey. It is a beautiful book, and I have Michele and her Joseph Campbell challenge https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
to thank for steering me to it. So glad I didn't miss it!

message 45: by Susie (new)

Susie | 754 comments Looks like you are finding and reading some great books so far this year! Definitely adding The Book of Tea and your Neruda choices to my tbr shelf!

message 46: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments I hope you like them too, Susie. And yes, this is turning out to be a great challenge so far. I may even have a bingo before the year is half over--something that almost never happens to me. :-)

message 47: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments I'm choosing Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward for O5, 21st Century Potential Classic. It's a memoir, but it is so powerful and important, I predict it will be talked about for a long time to come.

This is my first book by Ward, and I'm looking forward to her fiction. She has a writing style that is simple but absolutely captivating. Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 48: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Glad to hear you liked Men We Reaped. I read Sing, Unburied, Sing by her last year and was pleasantly surprised by it.

message 49: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3291 comments Mod
Kathleen wrote: "I'm choosing Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward for O5, 21st Century Potential Classic. It's a memoir, but it is so powerful and important, I predict it will be talked ab..."

Lovely review Kathleen.

message 50: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3953 comments Pink wrote: "Glad to hear you liked Men We Reaped. I read Sing, Unburied, Sing by her last year and was pleasantly surprised by it."

Glad to hear this, Pink--thanks. I'm not sure which one I'll read next, but hope to not wait too long.

« previous 1 3