Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Quest for Women Authors > Candi's 2019 Women Authors Challenge

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Save

message 3: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2428 comments Candi, I can't believe that you are going to read Our Spoons Came from Woolworths!! I read it in 1986 but for some reason it came to my mind this morning!! I think you'll like it, it is one that I would re-read. Enjoy your challenge :)

message 4: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Terris wrote: "Candi, I can't believe that you are going to read Our Spoons Came from Woolworths!! I read it in 1986 but for some reason it came to my mind this morning!! I think you'll like it, it is one that I ..."

How funny, Terris! I just love the name of this novel, and it's been on my list for a while :)

message 5: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3803 comments That is a great title! But I really enjoyed Excellent Women. Great choices here, Candi. You will love The Wreath. I'll be reading the second book in that series next year. Enjoy them all. :-)

message 6: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Kathleen wrote: "That is a great title! But I really enjoyed Excellent Women. Great choices here, Candi. You will love The Wreath. I'll be reading the second book in that series next year. Enjoy them all. :-)"

Thanks, Kathleen! The title is fun, right?! I read my first Barbary Pym novel this year and really liked it, so I would be happy to read either one really. Or both!

message 7: by siriusedward (last edited Dec 11, 2018 07:28AM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2052 comments Yeah.I really liked Excellent Women too.Theres just something about reading it.And the spoons tutle us great..sometimes certain titles don't let you ignore a book for long..it keeps drawing you...

message 8: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I just finished The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett, it was excellent, really good. She is one whose works I hope to read more of. Nice list, some great authors, enjoy!

message 9: by Aubrey (last edited Jul 01, 2019 09:40AM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2516 comments 'The Wreath, as part of 'Kristin Lavransatter', is one of my absolute favorites, so I hope you enjoy it, Candi.

message 10: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments siriusedward wrote: "Yeah.I really liked Excellent Women too.Theres just something about reading it.And the spoons tutle us great..sometimes certain titles don't let you ignore a book for long..it keeps drawing you..."

I just may need to read both books this year then! I agree, Elena, some titles are too hard to resist :)

message 11: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Bob wrote: "I just finished The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett, it was excellent, really good. She is one whose works I hope to read more of. Nice list, some great authors, enjoy!"

Thank you, Bob. I read The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories this past year and just loved it. I'm looking forward to more of Jewett's work :)

message 12: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Aubrey wrote: "'The Wreath, as part of 'Kristin Lavransatter', is one of my absolute favorites, so I hope you enjoh it, Candi."

Thanks, Aubrey! I'm actually planning to read the trilogy if all goes well with The Wreath. I have high hopes for this one :)

message 13: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5041 comments Mod
Wow. You could double up on this challenge you have such great choices!

I have Kristin Lavransdatter on my MUST list for 2019, but I won't be starting in January. Can't wait to see what you think. Always a good omen if you like a book.

message 14: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Sara wrote: "Wow. You could double up on this challenge you have such great choices!

I have Kristin Lavransdatter on my MUST list for 2019, but I won't be starting in January. Can't wait to see what you think...."

Thanks, Sara! I thought if I listed a couple of choices for each, it might help me with planning, nominating, etc. That way maybe I'll have a better chance at finishing this! I am really looking forward to The Wreath :)

message 15: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments I've completed my first book for this challenge - for the 1930's decade:

Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot, #17) by Agatha Christie Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie

My Review

message 16: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Agatha Christie, the master of the mystery. Just last night I pickup a copy of Death in the Clouds, for no other reason than her name was on the cover.

message 17: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

And she's off. lol. Nice starter.

message 18: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Bob wrote: "Agatha Christie, the master of the mystery. Just last night I pickup a copy of Death in the Clouds, for no other reason than her name was on the cover."

I'm not familiar with that one, Bob, but I'll likely get to it eventually. Hope you enjoy it!

message 19: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Sara wrote: "And she's off. lol. Nice starter."

Yep! Thanks, Sara. I'm actually reading The Wreath right now too, so I'm pleased to say I'll have a couple checked off this month at least. Hoping to finish it this year - I was one or two short last year I think :)

message 20: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Oh, I want to read the Lavransdatter series, but I never seem to find the right place to fit it in. Can't wait to see what you think.

message 21: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments So far I'm enjoying the first one, Sara. I'm planning to continue with the series if all goes well!

message 22: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

One of the reason they keep being put off for me is that I really want to read all three of them back-to-back.

message 23: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Sara wrote: "One of the reason they keep being put off for me is that I really want to read all three of them back-to-back."

I'm reading them with one of my groups, Sara. Theoretically, we are reading one per month for the next 3 months. I'll likely fall behind, but you never know!

message 24: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1631 comments I'm reading The Wreath right now too, and I should finish tomorrow. I always thought I would read the trilogy all at once, but it isn't going to work out that way because of other books I need to get to first. I hope to read the other two in a few months since I need to see what happens to Kristin.

message 25: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Oh wonderful, Laurie! I know what you mean - I often have a difficult time keeping up with any kind of series reads because of all the other planned reads I want to get to :)

message 26: by Candi (last edited Feb 05, 2019 08:09AM) (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments I've completed my 1920's decade woman author. It started of quite well, and then it fizzled for me partway through. I'd still like to read the second one... eventually. If that goes well, I'll read the third :)

The Wreath (Kristin Lavransdatter, #1) by Sigrid Undset The Wreath by Sigrid Undset

My Review

message 27: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments I've finished my reading and review of a 1940's decade woman author. McCullers is one of my favorites.

Reflections in a Golden Eye by Carson McCullers Reflections in a Golden Eye by Carson McCullers

My Review

message 28: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Finally checked another one off my list - a 1960's decade book and another favorite author:

This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart

My Review

message 29: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I read this a couple of years ago. It was my first by Stewart, I hope to read more, an entertaining writer. Glad you liked it.

message 30: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments I agree she is highly entertaining, Bob. I can always count on her books to deliver!

message 31: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 770 comments Finished my 1950s decade book. Sadly, it was a bit of a disappointment, despite the fact I adore this author.

The Bird's Nest by Shirley Jackson The Bird's Nest by Shirley Jackson

My Review