2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2019 > Ariana's Challenge Corner 2019

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ariana (last edited Dec 09, 2018 02:49PM) (new)

Ariana (ari76) | 214 comments Excited to get this going! I'm happy to join Goodreads for a full year's challenge after coming in halfway for 2018.

message 2: by Ariana (last edited Dec 28, 2018 10:42AM) (new)

Ariana (ari76) | 214 comments First goal is to read at 100 books this year!
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Ariana (last edited Dec 24, 2019 08:23AM) (new)

Ariana (ari76) | 214 comments The 2019 Popsugar Reading Challenge 20/40 - 12/24/19 #1751
1. A book becoming a movie in 2019: The Woman in the Window This was slated to be released this year, but Wiki just let me know it was pushed back until 2020. Still counting it :)
2. A book that makes you nostalgic
3. A book written by a musician (fiction or nonfiction): The Ensemble The author Aja Gabel is a former cellist!
4. A book you think should be turned into a movie
5. A book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads
6. A book with a plant in the title or on the cover: An American Marriage This book cover features a golden hickory tree and teal background. Very fitting for the novel.
7. A reread of a favorite book
8. A book about a hobby
9. A book you meant to read in 2018: Black Rage: Two Black Psychiatrists Reveal the Full Dimensions of the Inner Conflicts and the Desperation of Black Life in the United States Got this as a lovely present two years ago and have finally finished! Despite its flaws, it's a read worth savoring.
10. A book with POP, SUGAR, or CHALLENGE in the title
11. A book with an item of clothing or accessory on the cover: Intercepted Marlee's wearing a gold necklace with a football chain that I embarrassingly would wear if I too, had a NFL boyfriend.
12. A book inspired by myth/legend/folklore: The Song of Achilles An extraordinary read that made me care more about Greek mythology than ever before.
13. A book published posthumously
14. A book you see someone reading on TV or in a movie
15. A retelling of a classic
16. A book with a question in the title
17. A book set on college or university campus: Binti : The novella takes place at the prestigious Oomza University. Definitely a foundational book that leaves me with questions.
18. A book about someone with a superpower: The Lathe of Heaven : George Orr's ability is definitely a superpower. Though with great power comes.... a psychologist.
19. A book told from multiple POVs: Golden Child This book used multiple POVs in an interesting way, though I wanted to hear more from Joy's perspective.
20. A book set in space
21. A book by two female authors: When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir One of those memoirs I'll remember for a long while. Patrisse Khan-Cullors and asha bandele have made something special.
22. A book with SALTY, SWEET, BITTER, or SPICY in the title Carmelo or Puro Cuento : Caramelo can translate in Spanish to "sweet" and "caramel", so I think it fits.
23. A book set in Scandinavia
24. A book that takes place in a single day
25. A debut novel: What We Lose An easy read that's inspiring me to more critically engage with motherhood.
26. A book that's published in 2019: In West Mills A nice debut novel set in my home state of North Carolina.
27. A book featuring an extinct or imaginary creature
28. A book recommended by a celebrity you admire
29. A book with LOVE in the title: The Hypnotist's Love Story A light, enjoyable summer read ft. Moriarty's skill in making readable characters.
30. A book featuring an amateur detective : Where There's A Will: Curtains / The Bad Penny / Identity Crisis / Redemption All four of the Chamber girls are roped into detective work after their cop-turned-private late father asks them to finish cases.
31. A book about a family: Speak No Evil This novel is mostly a book about Nigerian-American Niru and his relationships with his family after coming out, but includes a look at the WASP-like experiences of his friend Meredith
32. A book author from Asia, Africa, or South America: One Part Woman The author Perumal Murugan is from India! While I like this prompt, I'll be separating it out to pay homage to more than one diverse author.
33. A book with a zodiac sign or astrology term in title
34. A book that includes a wedding Shanghai Girls The weddings of Pearl and May leave much to be desired, but set the stage for an interesting book focused on the experience of two Chinese girls in the 1930s on. Excited to read the sequel.
35. A book by an author whose first and last names start with the same letter: This Side of Paradise Francis (F.) Scott Fitzgerald named after his relative Francis Scott Key!
36. A ghost story
37. A book with a two-word title: Codename Villanelle A sleek, engaging premise that was rightfully adapted into a great TV series.
38. A novel based on a true story
39. A book revolving around a puzzle or game
40. Your favorite prompt from a past POPSUGAR Reading challeng

message 4: by Ariana (last edited Dec 28, 2019 08:15PM) (new)

Ariana (ari76) | 214 comments Every Year Challenge - 2018 & 2019

Progress: 18/23

1996 -
1997 - Memoirs of a Geisha - 5/31/18
1998 - Parable of the Talents - 8/3/18
1999 - Shake Loose My Skin: New and Selected Poems - 2/1/18
2000 -
2001 -
2002 - Caramelo - 12/1/2019
2003 - Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood - 10/20/18
2004 - Little Children - 9/15/18
2005 - Elantris - 10/9/2018
2006 -
2007 - Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic - 7/21/18
2008 - Letter to My Daughter - 6/18/18
2009 - Shanghai Girls - 10/23/2019
2010 -
2011 - The Hypnotist's Love Story - 8/18/2019
2012 - This Is How You Lose Her - 4/3/18
2013 - Boxers & Saints - 7/18/18
2014 - Big Little Lies - 6/2/19
2015 - More Happy Than Not - 7/27/18
2016 - Cannibal - 5/05/18
2017 - Pachinko -1/14/18
2018 - If You See Me, Don't Say Hi - 9/19/18
2019 - Reclaiming Our Space: How Black Feminists Are Changing the World from the Tweets to the Streets - 12/28/19

message 5: by Ariana (last edited Dec 02, 2019 04:08PM) (new)

Ariana (ari76) | 214 comments Read & Go Challenge
12-2-2019 16/24 #389
1. A novel set in the woods
2. A novel involving a creative outlet
3. A novel featuring food you have not tried : Carmelo or Puro Cuento Cisneros wrote a love letter to Mexico, and in it there were food descriptions that sounded delicious.
4. A novel involving a train ride Strangers on a Train A train ride that went terribly, terribly wrong. Book was okay but I've heard the movie is amazing.
5. A graphic novel: Bingo Love A beautifully illustrated story of two Black women who find their way back to each other. Definitely want to read the extended version.
6. A novel involving ghosts: The Shadow Speaker There were a host of creatures in this YA novel, but the ghosts in particular were an unexpected twist.
7. A novel featuring a zoo, animal shelter or sanctuary
8. A novel set on a bus: The Coincidence Makers Though the entire novel isn't set on a bus, a bus ride is the setting of a climax, and to me, represents a conveniently coincidental location.
9. A novel where a main character seeks self-improvement: The Woman in the Window Anna's trying her (relative) best to get clear minded enough to figure out the truth.
10. A novel featuring a bike ride
11. A novel set in or involving something industrial (factory, etc.): There There The book takes places across the western United States, but the most industrial setting is the time spent on Alcatraz Island while it was occupied by Native American protesters. While pictures of it are more reminiscent of an estate on an island, I think metaphorically and in reality, it captures the prompt.
12. A novel involving a plane ride: What We Lose Thandi and her family traveled back and forth to South Africa from the US so plane rides were implied.
13. A novel set in a snow land
14. A novel set in a country other than your own: Golden Child This novel was sent in Trinidad and has inspired me to seek out more places set in this region.
15. A novel featuring a garden: Home As Cee is healing, she reflects in the way characters created by Morrison do about gardens. "Her garden was not Eden; it was so much more than that. For her the whole predatory world threatened her garden, competing with its nourishment, its beauty, its benefits, and its demands. And she loved it."
16. A novel set in a museum
17. A novel set in a hotel
18. A novel featuring an instrument you wish you could play: The Ensemble : A novel featuring an instrument you wish you could play. It features many instruments, but I'd most like to play the viola.
19. A novel involving an escape: Codename Villanelle A novel involving an escape Villanelle's escapes were a treat to read, especially in the opera.
20. A novel set underground or underwater
21. A novel involving a road trip: An American Marriage: Celestial, Roy, and Andre repeatedly make the trek between Georgia and Louisiana.
22. A novel depicting a sci-fi technology that now exists: The Lathe of Heaven In the many worlds of Orr, there's one where Dr. Haber uses his "batcar" aka an electric car.
23. A novel set in a city you're living in now: Venus Envy I edited this prompt since I was able to find a book located in Charlottesville. It was fun to read references to local landmarks and the iconic Bodo's Bagels, but overall not my favorite book.
24. Bonus: A novel set in your home town (within 100 km of it) : In West Mills Though this book is set in a broadly named "rural North Carolina town", I'm counting it as one close to my hometown of Charlotte, NC.