2021 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2019 > Larissa's Reading Extravaganza- 50 in '19

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Larissa (last edited Jan 06, 2019 09:29PM) (new)

Larissa (larissaslibrary) | 27 comments My goal for 2019 is to read 50 books. I am going to hit 24 for 2018, but thought I would kick it up a notch for 2019. I am also an English major now and will get to read A LOT for my classes. I like to think books I have to read for class should count.

This is a big step for me in my reading journey and I am really excited to see what the new year brings!

message 2: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 2969 comments Good luck with your reading challenge! Personally, I counted books I read in class but it's entirely up to you.

message 3: by Larissa (new)

Larissa (larissaslibrary) | 27 comments The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

This is my first book of the year and that makes me so happy. It is written as a series of correspondences between the characters, with the majority involving a woman named Juliet. The story takes place just after the end of World War II. Juliet is an author who, during the war, wrote a series of columns that got turned into a book. Amidst trying to discover her next big writing project, he receives a letter from Dawsey. He has stumbled upon a book with Juliet’s name written in the cover. What follows is a beautiful story about the power books have to bring people together. Juliet eventually travels to Guernsey to take first hand accounts of their experience during the German Occupation of the Islands. She not only finds a new home, a new story, but also love.

What I love about this book is that, even though the only insight into the characters we get are through letters, you can’t help but fall in love with them. I would love to spend a day on Guernsey and attend a Meeting. I think it would be lovely to stay with Isola, garden with Dawsey, talk about books with Amelia, and play Dead Bride with Kit. Juliet’s life seems to start as soon as she gets on the Island and it is a life I would love to be a part of. These characters are so loving and kind. They all look out for each other. It really says something about the power of community. Nowadays, there is so much anger and prejudice in the world. No one cares to know their neighbors. People look at the ground when they walk down the street. It is such a different time we live in, but I feel like the people of Guernsey had just as much reason to be suspicious of outsiders as the next person. I just fell in love with their generosity. If more people were that open and loving, imagine how different our world would be.

message 4: by Larissa (last edited Jan 11, 2019 09:14PM) (new)

Larissa (larissaslibrary) | 27 comments Driving Miss Norma: One Family's Journey Saying "Yes" to Living

This book… I started it yesterday, read the first chapter, and finished it today. I haven’t read an entire book in a day in a very long time. This charming memoir is about a family trying to reconnect. It is about life, death, and everything in between. As Tim and Ramie drive Miss Norma and their seventy-pound poodle Ringo across the country, they find time to appreciate life for the little things. They discover outpourings of love from people all across the world who are inspired by Norma’s drive to not bow down to illness, but to keep pushing towards a life of adventure.

Norma’s journey is so special because Tim and Ramie had the means to take her on this amazing trip. When my grandpa got sick, we didn’t have the choice. Once he got to the hospital, that was it. We didn’t know about his cancer until it was too late. We didn’t know just how bad it was until he literally could not take the pain anymore. What I wouldn’t give to go back, somehow have the money, and take him where ever he wanted to go. My grandpa would have love to travel, to fly again. But he was just too sick for any of that. It breaks my heart because we forced him to go to the hospital. We made him go. He never got to live out the end of his life in utter joy and contentment. He was in a nursing home. Yes, they loved him and took amazing care of him, but he was not happy there. But, this is what I love about books. They can take us on these amazing journeys and let us live it, if only in our minds.