AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

Maxine Douglas

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca, Champagne Widows, 2021 (new)

Rebecca Rosenberg (rebeccarosenberg) | 270 comments Mod
Rings of Paradise
Welcome, Maxine Douglas! Which of your books are we discussing this week?

message 2: by Maxine (new)

Maxine Douglas (maxinedouglas) | 5 comments Hello! I am so excited to be here for Romance Week.
I will be discussing my Brides Along the Chisholm Trail series on Wednesday.

message 3: by Maxine (new)

Maxine Douglas (maxinedouglas) | 5 comments Happy Holidays, everyone! I'm Maxine Douglas, author of several American western romance novels. I'm glad to have an opportunity to connect with new readers and talk about American Historical Romance.

One of the main themes in my book, which goes hand-in-hand with the holiday season, is that of "home and hearth." Many times my hero and heroine must forge a family under less than ideal circumstances, such as an arranged marriage (mail order brides are a western spin on this trope), fleeing a dangerous situation, marriage to a stranger, or so forth.

One of easiest ways to bring people together is over a meal. Before you read these "foodie" snippets from my books, tell me what flavor or food signifies "Christmas" for you. I'll select one winner to receive all three ebooks in my Brides Along the Chisholm Trail series!

RELUCTANT BRIDE

The sweet aroma of fresh baking apples filled the kitchen. Rose watched as her family ate the meager dinner she’d prepared with vigor. Lilly’s tongue snaked out snatching a bit of sauce from the baked beans settled in the corner of her mouth. Logan sopped up his bean juice with the cornbread she and Lilly made earlier.

MARSHAL'S BRIDE

Abby walked over to the stove, stirring the beans and ham for a few minutes. She listened as her husband wore a path across the floor from the table to the fireplace. Grabbing a bowl, she measured out the ingredients for the biscuit batter. She glanced up from her mixing when the pacing stopped. Gabe stood next to the fireplace, his broad shoulders slumped in defeat.

“Would it really be so bad? Having a child?” Her fingers working the dough, hope filled her heart.

CATTLEMAN'S BRIDE

They sat next to each other on the hay bale sharing the plate of cold food and sweet tea Suzanne had brought down for Cyrus. He watched her pull apart a biscuit then pop it into her mouth a small smile on her face. He was thankful the tension between them seemed to have gone—for now anyway.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 0 comments Hi, Maxine,

Thanks for visiting with us and for the giveaway. I like these kinds of stories. For my food, I'll say fruitcake.

message 5: by Maxine (last edited Dec 12, 2018 06:31PM) (new)

Maxine Douglas (maxinedouglas) | 5 comments I'm happy to be here! We have had eggnog pumpkin pie for dessert That is so yummy.

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol | 87 comments Cherry Cheesecake is a holiday special in our house after our traditional Prime Rib dinner.
Thanks for sharing some of your books with us this week.

message 7: by Maxine (last edited Dec 13, 2018 08:56AM) (new)

Maxine Douglas (maxinedouglas) | 5 comments You are welcome Carol and that sounds really yummy--I LOVE cheesecake :). We are having the traditional turkey this year with some of the usual fixings.

message 8: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (grannylovestoread) | 132 comments Chili and cinnamon rolls. We have that Christmas Eve🎅🎄

message 9: by Maxine (new)

Maxine Douglas (maxinedouglas) | 5 comments Both are my favorites on cold winter daysm

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 0 comments So, who won these books?

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Stoeckel (andreastoeckel) Maxine wrote: "Happy Holidays, everyone! I'm Maxine Douglas, author of several American western romance novels. I'm glad to have an opportunity to connect with new readers and talk about American Historical Roman..."

As a retired pastor I learned early on that if you don’t want a “board fight”...bring food