Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Petra's Old & New Classic Challenge 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Petra (last edited Sep 22, 2019 08:58PM) (new)

Petra Seeing all the great lists has convinced me to try this challenge again.

I'm using only books I own (the "no excuses" method).

Old School pre-1899
1. Adam Bede
2. The Histories (currently reading)
3. The Tale of the Heike

New School 1900-1999
1. His Family Link to review (3-star)
2. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Link to review (5-star)
3. Malone Dies Link to review (3-star)

Wild Cards
1. Sakhalin Island
2. They Were Counted Link to review (4-star)
3. Light in August Link to review (4-star)
4. Remembrance Rock
5. Silence Link to review 4-star
6. Spring Snow Link to review (3-star)

Alternates
A. A Scots Quair: The Trilogy Sunset Song, Cloud Howe, Grey Granite
B. The Forsyte Saga

Finished:
Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1) by Douglas Adams His Family by Ernest Poole Malone Dies by Samuel Beckett They Were Counted by Miklós Bánffy Silence by Shūsaku Endō Light in August by William Faulkner

message 2: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1219 comments I'm going to adhere to the no excuses method this year as well. Good luck!

The only book on this list I've read is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I love that whole series. I need to read it again.

message 3: by Petra (last edited Dec 11, 2018 10:46AM) (new)

Petra Leni, Hitchhikers will be a reread for me, too, and I plan on reading the entire series. It was so good, as I recall. Quirky.

Thank you!

message 4: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4912 comments Mod
Like Leni the only book I've read is Hitchhiker, Good Luck!

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Same here. A couple of them are on my TBR, but most I haven't heard of. I hope you enjoy them, and have fun reading!

message 6: by Petra (last edited Dec 12, 2018 07:08AM) (new)

Petra Thank you! A couple of them are from this year's challenge, which I did poorly on, and that I really want to read. I hope I manage it next year.
I hope that since I have these books on my bookshelf already that I'll reach for them quickly. The new books at the library always tempt me.

Tale Of The Heike and Sakhalin Island are books mentioned & quoted a lot in 1Q84. That's such a good book that I've decided to read all the books mentioned in it, as they are so related to 1Q84's storyline.

message 7: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1865 comments I will be following this challenge, mainly to see how you like They Were Counted, which is one of my faves, and I'm hoping Santa will bring me book 2 They Were Found Wanting

for 2019 I also have lined up Spring Snow (and possibly Histories and Malone Dies)

message 8: by Petra (new)

Petra Darren, perhaps we can buddy read Spring Snow at some time?

I am looking forward to They Were Counted and have the trilogy on my Kobo. I hope Santa brings you They Were Found Wanting.

Malloy was such an odd book and yet intriguing. I'm looking forward to reading Malone Dies next.

Histories has been sitting on my shelf for so many years. Pages may spring out when I crack the binding, the glue is that old. :D

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Oooh, I like your list — lots of books that I want very much to read as well! I look forward to hearing what you think of them — especially The Tale of the Heike! 😊

message 10: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments I'm also interested in your thoughts on The Tale of the Heike, Petra. I'm a sucker for beautiful editions of very old books that exist beyond the pale of typical classics, so I picked up my copy without much forethought.

message 11: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2051 comments I loved Light in August and liked Sinset Song.And Adam Bede is on my TBR for next year.
Have a great time with the books.

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Aubrey wrote: "I'm also interested in your thoughts on The Tale of the Heike, Petra. I'm a sucker for beautiful editions of very old books that exist beyond the pale of typical classics, so I picked up my copy wi..."

Which edition did you pick up?

message 13: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments An ARC of this one, Erin: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 14: by Petra (new)

Petra Aubrey, that's the edition I have, too.

Siriusedward, I thoroughly enjoyed the 2 Faulkner books I've read and look forward to Light In August.

All this talk of The Tale of the Heike has made me even more eager to read it.

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Aubrey wrote: "An ARC of this one, Erin: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1..."

Petra wrote: "Aubrey, that's the edition I have, too.

Siriusedward, I thoroughly enjoyed the 2 Faulkner books I've read and look forward to Light In August.

All this talk of The Tale of the Heike has made me..."

Such a lovely addition you both have! I think I must get a copy and add it to my planned reading for the next year as well!

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Aubrey wrote: "An ARC of this one, Erin: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1..."

Petra wrote: "Aubrey, that's the edition I have, too.

All this talk of The Tale of the Heike has made me..."

Okay, I’ve bought a copy of this beautiful edition and added it to my challenges for next year as well! 😁

message 17: by Petra (new)

Petra Erin, that's terrific!

Maybe we can have a buddy read for this book?

message 18: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Petra wrote: "Erin, that's terrific!

Maybe we can have a buddy read for this book?"

Sounds good to me! 😃

message 19: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9425 comments Mod
What an interesting list of books. I've added several to my TBR list.

message 20: by Petra (new)

Petra Thank you, Katy. I hope they prove to be as interesting as they sound. All are new to me, except Hitchhiker's.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope you like They were Counted. One of the best books I have read in a while.

message 22: by Petra (new)

Petra Thank you, Kit. I'm looking forward to it. It was on my challenge list for this year but I never got to it.

message 23: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1865 comments Petra wrote: "Darren, perhaps we can buddy read Spring Snow at some time? ..."

I have it penciled in for August(!) but I have a lot of flexibility, so if you want to read it before then, let me know... :o)

message 24: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Darren wrote: "Petra wrote: "Darren, perhaps we can buddy read Spring Snow at some time? ..."

I have it penciled in for August(!) but I have a lot of flexibility, so if you want to read it before th..."

If you would, send me a message or post when you’re going to read it and, if I’m not drowning in books at that point, I’d love to join you! 😅

message 25: by Petra (new)

Petra Darren and Erin, sounds like fun. Let's try for a read along around that time. I'll pencil this read in for that time. I'm flexible, so if things change, let me know.

message 26: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Darren wrote: "Petra wrote: "Darren, perhaps we can buddy read Spring Snow at some time? ..."

I have it penciled in for August(!) but I have a lot of flexibility, so if you want to read it before th..."

Ohh, do I want to sign up my The Sea of Fertility for next year? Decisions, decisions.

message 27: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1865 comments I suppose we really ought to read it in the Spring!? ;o)

how about March?

or do April or May work better for anyone?

message 28: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Petra wrote: "Erin, that's terrific!

Maybe we can have a buddy read for this book?"

Let me know when would be good for you, or just send me a message when you think you’ll be reading it soon — I can be flexible! 😊 Anytime after the first three months of the year should work well for me.

Darren wrote: "I suppose we really ought to read it in the Spring!? ;o)

how about March?

or do April or May work better for anyone?"

I think any of those are fine for me. 😁

message 29: by Petra (new)

Petra How about April for Spring Snow and June for Tale of The Heike?

I'm flexible; just throwing these months out there.

message 30: by Darren (last edited Dec 20, 2018 02:32AM) (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1865 comments Petra - it's your thread, so April it is!

(goes away to reorganise spreadsheet... geek_smiley)

message 31: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 609 comments Petra wrote: "How about April for Spring Snow and June for Tale of The Heike?

I'm flexible; just throwing these months out there."

Sounds good to me! 😊

message 32: by Petra (new)

Petra Great! Okay, I've updated the original post with the buddy read dates. Maybe more will join us.

message 33: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 96 comments I put Tale of the Heilke on my TBR (of course;), but I'd have to buy it and break my rule for 2019, so we'll see! Great list, Petra!

message 34: by Aubrey (last edited Dec 23, 2018 11:08AM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Karen Michele wrote: "I put Tale of the Heilke on my TBR (of course;), but I'd have to buy it and break my rule for 2019, so we'll see! Great list, Petra!"

I'm going to be doing a challenge where one of the tasks is read a book acquired in 2019, so my book buying habit is grateful for my loophole.

message 35: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 96 comments Aubrey wrote: "Karen Michele wrote: "I put Tale of the Heilke on my TBR (of course;), but I'd have to buy it and break my rule for 2019, so we'll see! Great list, Petra!"

I'm going to be doing a challenge where ..."

Maybe someone will give you a book as a gift, Aubrey, and you won't have to break your rule;)

message 36: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 68 comments I too have only read Hitchhiker from your list Petra but I have been wanting to read Spring Snow as well. I'm not sure I'll get to it in 2019 but I will be looking for your review.

message 37: by Cynda (last edited Dec 29, 2018 01:39PM) (new)

Cynda | 2755 comments Hi Petra. I have added to tbr The Histories. I have scan-read it, but never really read. Yeah, once upon a time I still had a young fresh mind that would catch ideas and incorporate them with almost no effort. I can still read, so I practice. Your list helps. Thanks.

message 38: by Petra (new)

Petra Thanks, Rachelnyc and Cynda! I'll post my progress here as I go along with links to my reviews.

Cynda, I know what you mean. I am sure I read faster and absorbed ideas quicker when I was younger. LOL!

message 39: by Abulafia (new)

Abulafia | 4 comments Great list.

I struggled over whether to add The Histories to my list -- I have the Landmark Herodotus in hardback on my shelf, and it is a beautiful book, picked up after reading The English Patient (cliche, I know) -- though unfortunately one I've only ever read in bits and pieces, never all the way through. Now you are making me go back and re-evaluate! I may add it yet...have until midnight on the 31st, right?

I could say about Hitchhiker's Guide the same as Christopher Buckley once said about Wodehouse: "It's impossible to be unhappy reading the adventures of Jeeves and Wooster -- and I've tried." I remember laughing out loud to this book. In public.
Terribly embarrassing.

A Light in August is just great. Not familiar with most of the rest of your list, but they sound intriguing, and I look forward to your reviews.

message 40: by Petra (new)

Petra Thanks, Abulafia!

I'm doing a little bit of second guessing about my list as well. I didn't choose well for this year. But I have gone over and over the list and think I'll leave it as is.
It's so hard to choose the "right" books for an upcoming year when all the books on my TBR seem "right".

message 41: by Petra (new)

Petra I'm off to a slow start but I've finished the first book of this challenge: Spring Snow.
While a bit slow at times, I really enjoyed this story. It's got a lot of levels to it for one to contemplate.

I'm also currently reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and hope to add a second finish soon.

message 42: by Petra (new)

Petra I have finished reading His Family. A link to my review is in the first post.
This is the third book I've finished for this challenge. I'm a bit behind but there's still a hope that I'll catch up.

message 43: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2515 comments Petra wrote: "I have finished reading His Family. A link to my review is in the first post.
This is the third book I've finished for this challenge. I'm a bit behind but there's still a hope that I..."

You can do it Petra :)

message 44: by Petra (new)

Petra Thanks, Aubrey! I'm going to give it a good try. I plan on starting the next book this week sometime.

message 45: by Petra (new)

Petra I have finished my New School selections by reading Malone Dies. My review is linked in Post 1, if interested.

This is my 4th completion for this challenge.

message 46: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Congrats on finishing another book. I’ve been somewhat intrigued by Beckett’s books, but not sure. Your review is how I think I’ll feel about them!

message 47: by Petra (new)

Petra Pink, that's how I feel about Beckett's books *after* reading them.....intrigued but not sure. LOL! I am looking forward to reading the last of the trilogy. Maybe things will fall into place
Thank you for the congrats!

message 48: by Cynda (last edited Jun 09, 2019 10:14PM) (new)

Cynda | 2755 comments Reading all the parts and then deciding. That worked for me when I read The Theban Cycle earlier this year. I had previous read Oedipus and Antigone but never Creon at Thebes. When I finished I understood so much more. So Good Luck.

message 49: by Cynda (last edited Jun 09, 2019 10:15PM) (new)

Cynda | 2755 comments What I came by to tell you. I too am interested in read The Histories. I have the Everyman's Library by Knoph. I bought it because this is the first time I am reading The Historiens and this edition has footnotes on each page, something very helpful for a first read. I am looking to seeing how you approach this book.

message 50: by Petra (new)

Petra Thanks for the encouragement, Cynda!

I hope to get to The Histories over the summer sometime. Right now I'm reading They Were Counted and really enjoying it.
I've got a few longer books still on the list (what was I thinking?! LOL!). They are giving me thought on how to tackle this challenge by year's end.

« previous 1